Hayling gets new lifeboat.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

We attended the nameing ceremoney of Haylings new lifeboat.

It was paid for by a lady who has bought the last three.

This one is named after her late husband.The tractor unit is a County .

Driveitday005.jpg

Driveitday004.jpg

Driveitday003.jpg

Driveitday002.jpg

Driveitday001.jpg

The new building cost 1.8 mil i think.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice photos, those new Atlantic 85's are superb boats. The County's were/are used by the armed forces too

:tup::

• 2 months later...

Right i'm going to highjack this thread!!

It's about the life boat tractor you see... I worked in a boatyard where the whole tractor consept was dreamed up. Many years ago they had a problem launching small yatchs on a very flat beach. so a boat owner came up with a plan and designed a tractor with a hull round it. I think his name was Mike Bigley? Anyway the first one was not too good as it was a bit wide and floated out to sea on the first attempt so the mark 2 was made and fitted eith a propeller. It is based on a fordson major tractor and i had the pleasure of rebuilding it a couple of years ago. They offerd the design to the military as an amfibious tractor but nothing came of it so they went to the life boat guys and they said it was just what they were looking for but could you make one 4 wheel drive. And there you have it the county was modified. the rest is history.

This tractor is still in service today after 30 years when they were looking to replace it, the lifboat guys said it would cost about £60000 for an ex lifeboat county. When we asked how much our fordson was worth they said it was priceless so we asked if they wanted to buy it....they said no.

Tank in the Water 003.jpg

Yes it really does float!! Shes not quite off the bottom there as she was leaking a bit after the rebuild. I took her out to sea about 400 yards but she sits REALLY low in the water made about 2 or 3 knots at a fast tick over any faster and it just cavitated. It did have a steering arangement on the prop but it got slurped into it. it will turn using the front wheels.

I have got some vidio footage of the firts test after we rebuilt her.

• 4 weeks later...