I blame the weather.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

It's okay having a computer to show the faults but the chaos that results when the computer fails to show the fault has to be seen to be believed.

The inexperienced don't want to show their ignorance and rather than ask for advice start pulling things to pieces without a clue as to what they are doing, in the old days the foreman would have had his finger on the pulse and nipped the problem in the bud but present practice seems to be 'sink or swim'.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inexperienced don't want to show their ignorance and rather than ask for advice start pulling things to pieces without a clue as to what they are doing, in the old days the foreman would have had his finger on the pulse and nipped the problem in the bud but present practice seems to be 'sink or swim'.

Degsy,

That is possibly because those in charge nowadays, have little basic diagnosis skills or experience and are equally like fishes out of water.

When I went to work at REME, my chargehand was someone I respected, he was strict, but helpful. During the war he was attached to 79th Armoured Div. on tank transporters and hauled "The Funnies" all over the UK on training and trials before going to Normandy. His experience was wide. Now I look back, he was probably about the same age as I am now. He would never let anyone struggle, always assisted to solve a problem. After all, we were all there to get a job done................much later, I became Chargehand in the same section.

Nice interesting thread. But i have to say this is the only time i have seen him crack a smile........

Brightoncommercialrun.jpg

Or apart from when he was taking the P**s out of some poor b****rd who happened too own a M151 MUTT.

That's a smile? :shake:

I like it, he looks like hes been sniffing at the Belzona! and abusing a Dalek! or is that sniffing a Dalek and abusing the Belzona...

dalek002.jpg

Good work CW, just as Degsy says, a fitter could only fit a new one!

I presume the Belzona used can be formulated to suit different metals and uses, does not the grinding paste embed into it? or is it just the same as metal in that respect? looks like good stuff!

There are several different types,the one on the props was ceramic.The one on the axle has graphite in it so acts like a self lubricating system.

Cleaning is a problem it takes time to do it properly.I took the high spots off when it had only just hardened it gets harder as time goes by it can be drilled tapped heli coiled the same as base metal.:-D

Too much time on your hands by look of it :-D

There are parts that were on the daleks,but what.Went in to clear up,couldnt be bothered.waiting for postman with new seals for the axle.

Missing the sea air.:cry:

Lovely job as always CW ! Are you going BB any particular day cos I feel the need to buy you a beer ! :-D

If the axle goes in ok we are planning Friday morning,customers keep getting in the way,can you tune my 101 for the Bunker bash,They get on your wick:-D if not champ there is the L/rover but its not booked in dont know what happens about that.Look forward to seeing you there.cheers CW.

If the axle goes in ok we are planning Friday morning,customers keep getting in the way,can you tune my 101 for the Bunker bash,They get on your wick:-D if not champ there is the L/rover but its not booked in dont know what happens about that.Look forward to seeing you there.cheers CW.
Well if you were to stop chatting and pull your finger out,you would get most of the jobs done.:D:

• 2 weeks later...

Bealieauolord026.jpg

Going back in on the friday,rd test was to Horndean,was a bit aprehensive at first but it wasnt long before we were bowling along at 70mph.

Covered a couple of hundred miles without any probs and no leaks :banana:

Thinking of a 5 speed box to bring the revs down,it would cope easily with that,i keep going for another gear.Maybe an inline o/drive unit if any one knows of one,probably have to look in the states,let me know if you have any ideas.cheers cw.:-D