I blame the weather.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Got bored due to the crap weather and not being able to play boats.

Now look whot i have done.:(:shocked::sweat:

champaxke002.jpg

champaxke003.jpg

champaxke004.jpg

champaxke005.jpg

It obviously hadnt been out for years,shows no sign of post army bodgers.

Theres a plate on it which sez Base o/haul wk shops 23 any one know where that was.also sez FVRDE with lots of numbers but no date

Apart from oil leaks not a lot wrong with it,excess play on the bells which i suspect may need BELZONA:yay:The reps been in gone off to speak to the techis.:-D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey! Wouldnt have been easier to go for a pub lunch? I wait to see photo updates on how you get on.

Well i felt there was a risk of going through champ ownership without having to take the axle out,that would never do.imagine the lads at the champ camp all chatting about whot they had to do to there axles and me like billy no mates not having a clue whot its all about.Plus i got fed up

checking the oil before every run.I normally fix everthing just before it gets sold,i never seem to get the benefit,must have a serious talk with myself.:-D

I see your point! You dont want to end up a Back-axle-billy-no-mates. I had better keep mine for a while then, just so I can put it off as long as possible. Course I could just keep an eye on what you are doing and pretend I know what Im talking about!

Do you ever wish you hadn't started something. :-D

Ok, so you took it out to do the oil leaks.............. now what. Spose you might as well paint it now its out............... oooh, it's rustier than I thought. .........Might as well get it sandblasted.............. I'll have to strip it right down for that...................... Oh bu**er..........the wheel cylinders are leaking a bit...............spose I'll have to replace them. Oh well I might as well take the backplates off.................Oh :argh: , now the bolt has broken off in the casting, so I'll have to strip the diff down now.

I don't want to do this..............I wanna go to the pub. I should have sold it and knocked a couple of hundred quid off and told the new owner it had a little leak on the back axle.

Sound familiar............ boredom is a bad thing. :-D

Wot a complicated set-up. No wonder Toyota pickups are so popular as gunships :cool2:

Strangely enough it beat the Hummer by some 40yrs,and not a lot different to the latest range rover,sport ,Discovery.Old alex (issigonis was a visionary).:cool2::-D

Do you ever wish you hadn't started something. :-D

Ok, so you took it out to do the oil leaks.............. now what. Spose you might as well paint it now its out............... oooh, it's rustier than I thought. .........Might as well get it sandblasted.............. I'll have to strip it right down for that...................... Oh bu**er..........the wheel cylinders are leaking a bit...............spose I'll have to replace them. Oh well I might as well take the backplates off.................Oh :argh: , now the bolt has broken off in the casting, so I'll have to strip the diff down now.

I don't want to do this..............I wanna go to the pub. I should have sold it and knocked a couple of hundred quid off and told the new owner it had a little leak on the back axle.

Sound familiar............ boredom is a bad thing. :-D

Luckerly all the brakes etc i did when i first got it,Sandblasted/painted i supose so your right here we go again.:rofl:

Never seen inside one of those CW, please get it all in bits ASP! I also know nothing about repairing things with Belzona........... I've led a sheltered life.

It allready is mate, pics to follow,Belzona you were riding on it on your day at the seaside.:-D

I remember the prop conversation but the method is still a mystery, unless it's just like body filler.

Similar to Plastic Padding..........in its application, but far more stronger and versatile. Its use in heavy industry shows it has a good reputation. I have used it many times and preparation is the important thing.

CW,

23 Base Workshop REME was at Wetter in Germany.

Thanks Richard,that puts it exactly where i wanted it to be,gives me ammo for the ,that wasnt BAOR it hasnt got locking petrol cap blah,blah brigade.Best bit of news all week cheers CW.

www.belzona.com

One of the bodge jobs we did was to build up the output shaft of a large torque converter where the oil seal had worn it away, simply trowelled on and hand filed down to an approximate round shape when it had set!

Saved a major dismantling job to get the torque out of the loading shovel, and complete strip down of the torque to replace the shaft. Ran for 20 years until sold, I think it might have clocked up 35 years now....Lazy engineering or what? :-D

Whta's Belzona please, it sounds like a miracle :???

Mark,

It is a range of "repair solutions" for building up worn surfaces, repairing cracks, etc in metal and rubber. You are unlikey to come across it in shops, etc. it is usually supplied to the trade. Their representatives are good at demonstrating the products and finding one to suit your needs. One problem............Expensive.

www.belzona.com

Edited by Richard Farrant
added link

Mark,

Is that the stuff that is like a sausage, cut a slice off and kneed it together ( two components inside to mix up ) ? Well Belzona is much better than that.

Thats the stuff and it is free in the stores :-D