wash kit

chevpol

ok folks,

what would be carried in a typical mid 80's wash kit?

Mark :cool:

Whatever you want!

usually:

Tooth brush, tooth paste, soap in a stainless container, tin shaving foam, comb, razor or Batt operated razor, spare blades, stainless steel small mirror, Flannel,tube of E45 cream for gen purpose cuts, chaffs Etc, Lip balm for chapped lips. (Got very cold in November riding on the outside of 432's / 434's!) & whatever you wanted to make your life that little bit easier & comfortable!

Don't forget that the squaddies choice of soap tended to be TCP soap (if they had brains, that is); I think you'll aslo find that there were still a few bold lads using safety razors, shaving soap sticks, and shaving brushes as well - depended on individual preferences, but don't forget that battery stores and 3-pin sockets did not ever grow on trees ;)

FWIW - battery operated razors were verboten in my lot. Damn things sparked when in use and a sensitive RDF station set-up could home in on that interference.... It's how we used to find US forces at times - that and the smell of the fancy soaps.... We used to have something (still available today) called "Simple Soap" - no smell at all.

Did you have "issue" soap bars?

Iam asking this because once I was given a small bar of soap with the EIIR cyphers by a friend working at St Thomas Hospital to bring back home as a souvenir (when you are a public health consultant your souvenirs choice may differ from the genral consensus).

At the airport an overzealous security person wanted to break the bar soap to check for harmful content. I pointed that as a souvenir I needed it in one pice. Then he called his boss, a military looking person who smelled the bar and said something like "It smells like the real one, no need to cut it"...

Andrea

Did you have "issue" soap bars?

Iam asking this because once I was given a small bar of soap with the EIIR cyphers by a friend working at St Thomas Hospital to bring back home as a souvenir (when you are a public health consultant your souvenirs choice may differ from the genral consensus).

At the airport an overzealous security person wanted to break the bar soap to check for harmful content. I pointed that as a souvenir I needed it in one pice. Then he called his boss, a military looking person who smelled the bar and said something like "It smells like the real one, no need to cut it"...

Andrea

You are correct about the soap. I was given an inistail issue bar in 1974, & noticed later in my Service. that the same type was in washrooms in barrack office Toilets also. You could request it from the stores for washrooms if required. I remember, it did not lather up very well, so was hell to shave with! :nono: (Before aerosol tins were popular!) We bought our own soap in an attempt for a LITTLE luxury & trying to keep our facial skin soft. :cry: