1954(?) Triumph TRW

Maggie

I am new to this restoration thing, so any and all help or information is appreciated. I bought this bike last weekend, still doing the research on it.

I feel that I got lucky finding this jewel. The engine is complete, has compression, the electricals are mostly there. It has a Solex carb instead of the usual Amal.

The metal is in very rough condition. The gas tank has been badly bent up, the front fender has been bobbed to the point of not being usable, the only thing I am keeping from it is the lower strut. The rear fender is missing the lower rear part. I have the pillion pad and mounting, the lower part of the nacelle,the light brackets and the seat. Everything else is missing.

Its serial # is TRW 23207 NA

All comments welcome.

Triumph TRW.jpg

Hello Maggie,

This site suggests a 1952 date.

http://www.tri-corengland.com/acatalog/Triumph_Dating_information.html

Your first step should be to contact Annice at the Vintage Motorcycle Club Library. They have the factory despatch records and should be able to tell you where it was originally sent. Wartime supplied vehicles can be confusing because the Canadians did receive some via British channels but post-war machines would have been ordered direct.

http://www.vmcc.net/library.htm

If your bike does turn out to be ex-Canada then Richard's suggestion of looking at 'Maple Leaf Up' is a good one as they will be able to advise on Canada specific markings if you intend to follow that route. They looked fine straight from the factory as well, of course !

Keep us posted !

Good Point. I reckon the implication there with the NA suffix is probably that all TRWs or major components were made in 1952 (with a view to large Korean war sales ?) but actually delivered over the next ten years or so.

The records at the VMCC should be able to confirm actual delivery date.

I feel that I got lucky finding this jewel. The engine is complete, has compression, the electricals are mostly there. It has a Solex carb instead of the usual Amal.

QUOTE]

Hi Maggie,

I very jealous, just what Im looking for!

From memory, I think the Solex is correct fitment

Keep looking if its meant to be you will find one. Mine popped up on Craig's List completely out of the blue. It sat on there for about a week before we decided to buy it. British basket cases just don't sell well on this side of the pond. Its a shame too, she is such a wonderful machine.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...and here they are. These photos answered some questions for me.

Thats good,so we have 2 free wks at ABNs and now a couple with you:-DCW

Keep looking if its meant to be you will find one. Mine popped up on Craig's List completely out of the blue. It sat on there for about a week before we decided to buy it. British basket cases just don't sell well on this side of the pond. Its a shame too, she is such a wonderful machine.

Yes, theres one out there waiting for me!

It may be of interest to you, TRWs were for military customers only (the exeption being some that were sold to the Paris Police force apparently), and were primarily purchased by the RAF and the british army. In addition, many were sold to Canada and Pakistan.

Some of the tinware is said to be similar to Triumph Thunderbird, and that is why many TRWs are missing fork nacelle legs and tops.

Does anyone have a picture of the nacelle with the instruments...mine is missing. I would like to have a reference so if I find one I will know it. Thanks

NOS nacelle tops do still turn up occasionally at bike jumbles in the UK

They turn up at the swap meets here from time to time as well. I found a place that makes fiberglass replicas but they are blanks, and you have to place the instruments in their proper place, thus needing the picture. I figure I can use one of the repros until I can find the real thing.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...and here they are. These photos answered some questions for me. That is an ammeter between the speedo and the light switch..correct?

Ammeter correct,there is a slight difference in the positioning early/or late.will try and find picture i have.

They turn up at the swap meets here from time to time as well. I found a place that makes fiberglass replicas but they are blanks, and you have to place the instruments in their proper place, thus needing the picture. I figure I can use one of the repros until I can find the real thing.

Most tinware (mudguards & stays, toolboxes, nacelles, chainguards, front and rear stands, engine plate covers etc) is available new from Ace Classics in London. Sometimes their stuff needs a trial fit to get them right but is usually very good. so far I've used their bits on a '47 5T, a '52 TR5, a '55 T110, a '58 TR6 and 6T, '67 TR6C and '67 '69 & '70 T120R's and have always been happy with the results. Give them a try.

All the best with your TRW, it's a very sweet bike to ride, and just as good as a Trophy on the rough stuff.

Stefano

Have a technical question for you guys. The exhaust pipes, the opening at the head is 1 1/4 inches, are the pipes the same diameter for their entire length or are there are expansions or reductions in the stock pipes? And where they join, does the primary side go into or over the connecting pipe? And what size is it? We are building a set of pipes, so that we can try to get the old girl running. We did not get the pipes in the picture with the bike.

Here a some more pics of her. I know the cover on the primary shouldn't be welded...but, oh well, just another part to replace.

BTW: Is that a compression release?

54Triumph2.jpg

54Triumph3.jpg

Edited by Maggie

Maggie, as per Catweasle's post, correct fitment is a 2 into 1 system, ie, the left cylinder downpipe immediately joins the right downpipe, and then mid section/silencer is down the right side (off-side) of the frame.