Tools and equipment

Richard Farrant

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MV's are a close second compared to aircraft (especially Airbus!) when it comes to space constraints. It always made me wish somebody would design an open-end ratchet spanner. Millions to be made there!

Nobody mentioned screwdrivers?!

http://www.toolbay.co.uk/Laser-Tools/Spanner-Sets/3679-Ratchet-Flare-Nut-Wrenches-6pc.aspx

not open ended but ratcheting flare nut spanners allow you to get onto a pipe fitting in situ, where both ends of the pipe are still connected. Very useful.

these are true open ended ratchet spanners however

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alden-Open-End-Ratchet-Wrench-Set-10-pc-Metric-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35ab4a1ebdQQitemZ230507028157QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

http://ratchetingwrench.co.cc/alden-wrench-56038-double-head-ratching-open-end-wrench-3-piece-set-sae-2/

as are these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cornwell-Tools-SAE-Open-End-Interactive-Ratchet-Wrench-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b76a97bfQQitemZ110451398591QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Not sure if they are making millions though??!

Edited by antarmike

Never tried open ended ratched spanners before, had seen them though. The question is do they actually work as this has always put me off buying any.

Has anybody actually tried some out? In anger on some nice old nuts?

You can also quarantee they still will not fit that one elusive nut.

Have a 1/2 inch spanner that was specially modified to undo the distributor nut on a 2.8 Capri so the timing could be adjusted.

Magnet on string is usefull if you have an none magnetic car.

Why are nuts/bolts so well camoflaged when you drop them? This always happens when you don't have a spare.

I find a good supply of tea/coffee and cake is indispensible when working on anything. Requires a good wife/girlfriend/mother or whatever. Can work out to be very expensive.

Mike

Never tried open ended ratched spanners before, had seen them though. The question is do they actually work as this has always put me off buying any.

Has anybody actually tried some out? In anger on some nice old nuts?

You can also quarantee they still will not fit that one elusive nut.

Well, I never!! Just goes to show. Albeit pretty expensive as an experiment to see whether it actually works! Would love to try one though just thinking about all the time spent modifying spanners and sweating to tighten that nut or pipe hidden behind other stuff, virtually out of reach or sight!

Edited by montie
typo

• 1 month later...

This seems the best place to drop this in so here goes.

I would like to add some things we do. I am by the way, not a mechanic by trade but am constantly frustrated by wasted time during working.

Here is what we do with spanners (wrenches if from this continent) and our socket sets.

We use the paint pens found at welding supply stores and parts stores.

With spanners we paint the size of the spanner and sometimes the make or a colour bar of the set it belongs to and then wipe it off so as t leave the stamped markings painted.

We do the same with sockets but they require bands of colour and also require repainting more often because of wear.

I can tell you that finding the right home or things out of place sure is a lot easier especially if you have your own joker like Rambo working in your workshop who cant put tools back in the right set, it shows a mile off.

Hope this helps someone

R

shop things 008.jpg

shop things 010.jpg

Another very simple tool is a test lamp, can be very usefull when trying to diagnose all those electrical gremlines. All i use is an old convoy light that way it can stay in my tool box and wont get damaged. Another thing i keep in my tool box is a length of adjustable strap to restrain L/R bonnets from falling on me if i need them right up to access the turbo etc.