Albion CX22S

Davie

Sadly they were scrapped. See this link

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=5377&page=3

I have more photos of them from about eight years ago. I'll scan them in later.

Same infuriating story............. they want four grand for them when they are selling them and end up scrapping them; getting a fraction of what they were asking for them in the first place. :argh:If they had an ounce of compassion for people who want to buy trucks to restore, they would or should have contacted the would be buyers and at least offered them for sale at a price a little higher than the final scrap value. :??? I'm surprised the Albion Trust didn't beg them not to scrap them, bearing in mind that they were living on their doorstep. :???:??? What a sad waste of rare trucks????

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go. The view whilst driving the one with the slit for a windscreen must have been well dodgy! This yard was an excellent place for a rummage. I believe it's been cleaned up now. Possibly due to old Mr Cuthbertson passing away, and new management coming in? That's only my opinion, there may be other reasons.

big2 (Medium).jpg

big4 (Medium).jpg

big5 (Medium).jpg

big6 (Medium).JPG

I haven't been down there for some time but is that one still rotting into the weeds at the SRPS' place at Bo'ness?

It wasn't there five or six years ago. I believe I have a pic somewhere that a friend took. I'll have a look for it.

I managed to get a bit of time over the weekend to blast and primer some more bits that have been waiting for the treatment. I started with the roof panel. The Albion's cab roof is a bit like a safari land rover roof with two panels spaced apart. The outer panel was well past it's sell by date, but luckily there was a spare in the back that only needed minor work. I dragged it out of the truck and found a big jackdaws nest hidden behind it. they'll need to find a new home now. I cut a couple of rotten pieces out and, using some steel from the original roof, butt welded patches into place. Then blasted the complete thing and followed with two coats of red oxide.

Various other parts got the same treatment, some air pipes, more tank straps and the cab roof hatch.

Not very exciting, but at least it's another step in the right direction.

DSCF0096 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0098 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0099 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0100 (Medium).jpg

The 4 CX22s at Biggar were advertised for a long time including in the "Greensheet" and other magazines with virtually no interest. The site had to cleared by a fixed date, I had struck up a deal to purchase at a reduced price which was about scrap price (scrap being quite high at the time).

I was trying to raise funds through another deal but failed to meet the deadline. The rest is history. It would have probably cost me the same again for transportation.

I assume the Albion Trust weren't interested because with limited funds there are already enough preserved CX22s, the money being better spent on rarer vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken a few days off work to crack on with the Albion. The very rough wings have been removed, they are full of very thickly applied body filler and patches on top of older patches. There will be many hours of work sorting them out.

Also removed are lots of brackets, the extremely heavy radiator, front tow hook on its spring, front wheels and steering arm.

I made a start cleaning the chassis and front axle with a wire cup brush on angle grinder. After ten minutes the grinder gave up the ghost in a shower of sparks. Bugger. Off to machine mart for a new Dewalt grinder. I also got a needle gun which is the business for getting into awkward corners. Wish I'd got one years ago.

DSCF0125 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0126 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0127 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0133 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0134 (Medium).jpg

Nice to see you are getting going again with your restoration, and I will be watching out for the next set of pictures. I really would love to own a CX. There is one thing about them though that always seems very odd; and that is the radiator. It looks like it was an after thought, or they designed the truck and after it was built, they found out the rad wasn't big enough and had to fit whatever they could find. It doesn't look finished off properly. Regardless of that, it's still a great looking truck.

I now have some head gaskets on the way for my siezed donor engine, so If I have to strip it; I can at least overcome the biggest hurdle to putting it back together again. I noticed something strange about my engine the other day.......... it doesn't seem to have an external oil filter....:shocked:. Do they have some sort of internal filter, like a centrifugal one perhaps.

Great seeing your pictures, keep up the good work. Good luck with the front wings too....... I've got a pair like that. :)

Edited by Swill1952xs

Hi Will, there is a strainer in the sump. there should be a plate to remove on the sump bottom and inside will be the strainer which you should remove and clean. I'm going to take the whole sump off for a good clean as I'm sure there will be a lot of sludge in there.

It's curious why they chose to mount the steering box so far forward.

Love that engine mount.

My HD 23 has the same front engine mounting. You should see the HD 23 rear engine mountings, they are like nothing I've ever seen before.

The engine seems to hang on a cranked bar with a horizontal coil spring fitted over the top of the chassis. The cranked bar has a pivot half way up it where it mounts on to the engine bell housing. It then turns back towards the chassis where it fits into what looks like a very short clutch slave cylinder. The cylinder on the chassis and hanger bracket pivot have remote fitted greasers. If I get time I will photograph mine. Albions certainly had some unique design features which is why mine fascinates me so much.

A question for Davie......... Is the pointed housing above the bottom radiator hose; a drive unit for a rev counter as it has a cable coming out of it? :)

A question for Davie......... Is the pointed housing above the bottom radiator hose; a drive unit for a rev counter as it has a cable coming out of it? :)

You are correct Will. That is exactly what it is. Also mine has the same rear engine mounts. Weird and wonderful devices.

Got a bit more done in the last couple of days. I'll post some pics over the weekend.

You are correct Will. That is exactly what it is. Also mine has the same rear engine mounts. Weird and wonderful devices.

Got a bit more done in the last couple of days. I'll post some pics over the weekend.

Neither of my engines have a rev counter drive, but there is a rev counter on the dash panel. I thought the rev counter was only for the petrol engine versions, and initially assumed it was electric. I've since found out that like yours, the rev counter is cable driven.

I'll see you Sunday evening.......... :-D, About half past nine I'll get myself a cup of coffee and eagerly await your picture show. Catch ya later Dude. :thumbsup:

After the comments about the front engine mountings on Davies CX; I thought I'd throw in a picture of the rear engine mountings, which are very unusual, as I described earlier. According to Davie, his are the same as mine, but as my donor truck is stripped down they are easier to photograph.

DSC00199.jpg

Now they are different to say the least. :)

Edited by Swill1952xs

Well, Dave the joiner came over on friday to have a look and remember where we'd got to with the cab eighteen months ago. we took the bottom skin of the roof off for repair and to give better access. Dave did a couple of small jobs and made a list of stuff required and will come back soon for a proper days work. Not much woodwork to go on the cab.

DSCF0081 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0083 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0084 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0085 (Medium).jpg

Saturday was spent doing my favourite pastime, needle gunning and wire brushing. Some people think I'm mad spending leisure time like this. I find it quite theraputic in a weird sort of way. Anyway, the main thing is progress is being made.

DSCF0078 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0079 (Medium).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday started early with the arrival of a Hiab equipped lorry to lift the rear load bed off. I'd already removed all the bolts but two, so it wasn't long before the bed was off and seated on oildrums. This will allow access to the winch, and chassis etc.

The rest of the day was spent repairing the cab roof, my brother came and lent a hand sanding the bonnet. I'd hoped to find some numbers or insignia under the paint, but nothing was to be found unfortunately.

Thanks to David Dobbie and Beatsons Building Supplies for the Hiab.

DSCF0107 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0111 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0112 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0116 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0118 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0119 (Medium).jpg