WWII Tire substitution

abn deuce

I found a few photo's of how inventive or desperate people got when the tire shortage happened to keep them from other wise using a vehicle

for example keeping a business quite literally moving.

Man displaying hardwood tires for use on trucks in place of rubber tires; tires on left are new, those on right have driven 500 miles. Location: US Date taken: 1942 Photographer: Marie Hansen

woodentires1942.jpg

Hardwood tire being used on truck in place of rubber tires. Location: US Date taken: 1942 Photographer: Marie Hansen

woodentire1942.jpg

And the need wasnt just in the USA seems this was tried in Great Britian as well . I can't imagine doing this except to move an aircraft from hanger to hanger but ??? who know's

3.20fighter20plane20so20it20may20be20.jpg

In #2 The locking ring has been welded and I would say they ran the cable through the interior of the hundreds of wooden blocks then anchored them with the nut and bolt connection that the turnbuckle is attached to. The other end of the cable is fastened on the right side around the spoke of the wheel hub, so the cable passes behind and to the right of the turnbucklemaking a complete circle and a bit more .

Any thought about the wooden wheel on the fighter ? while the truck could operate at low speeds what of an aircrafts take off and touch down speeds ! amoung other hazards

Edited by abn deuce
added text

A substitute aircraft handling wheel, maybe while the other wheel is been serviced, or engineering on the landing gear, the wheel been fixed height/width for adjustments, but i wouldnt of thought they would risk running an expensive aircraft asset on them?

20fighter20plane20so20it20may20be20.jpg

A substitute aircraft handling wheel, maybe while the other wheel is been serviced, or engineering on the landing gear, the wheel been fixed height/width for adjustments, but i wouldnt of thought they would risk running an expensive aircraft asset on them?

This photo shows an very early P-51 Mustang in RAF markings. There's another one similarly marked behind it and a B-26 in American markings in the distance. The man appears to be in civvies. Both P-51s are new. I don't think this was taken in the UK; I guess that it is a North American Aircraft factory shot, as they built both P-51s and B-26s and I think it shows an early stage in cocooning a P-51 ready for shipping to England as deck cargo. These aircraft had to be heavily protected against salt spray. It's simply a sealed wooden box built round the wheel which, being magnesium alloy, would need a lot of protection as they deteriorate by the minute when exposed to salt solution.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

sounds very feasable,probably greased it or something else to protect it first before covering up,