Scrap yards

mvdepot

Criticise away....proper debate is essential. I'd rather see a collection in NZ (for example) than see all that stuff shipped here. It makes no sense. If you see the UK commercial vehicle mags they salute the fact that NZ is the home of so many lorries from this country. They belong in NZ - not Blighty. It is obvious that some people will be out there with a cheque book and a shipping container looking for stuff. But they can only buy if people sell. Money talks.

NZ is on my essential places to visit list, for the country itself and for the classic mvs, civvy transport and aeroplanes as an aside. So it will be great when I eventually get there to see stuff where it belongs.

You are right to fight your corner. Heritage matters.

MB

In this case we ( in NZ) have had a number of visitors from Britain to whom the cheque book ruled and with it an attitude of only they are correct, or they know best.

I'm sincerely sorry that these individuals, who sound to me like dealers masquerading as collectors, have left such a poor impression. You are quite right to feel as you do. I would feel the same. Most proper HMV enthusiasts over here are 'ordinary' blokes with everyday jobs (I'm a part-time lorry driver) who are only able to wave empty wallets around such is the financial burden of keeping green machinery on the road. I would like to think that the people I know would be better behaved if they had the privilege of visiting your beautiful country.

Interesting topic . I was around in the 70's as a MV enthusiast and nearly all of the larger yards I knew then are long gone . Many of them ended up as sold for scrap , in some cases the family involved ( owners ) just couldnt be bothered and they called in the crushers. Each is a different case and you cannot generalize. In some cases the land was worth more than the vehicles, and as towns grew and expanded , the yard owners sold out because the offer from land developers was just too tempting. And many of the owners were getting on in years , without a family member willing to keep the yard going - the scrap dealers were called in.

I know of one yard which held , among its treasures , a Morris 2 pounder portee , a Marmon Herrington gun tractor and a WOT6 Fordson ..all were scrapped because the eldery alcoholic owner was senile and unapproachable ...he would be likely to curse you or pull out a gun .

Mike