BMP1 in somerset

managed to use the bilge pump on the ront, also opened up the exhaust drain and the drain under the drivers seat. I recon that it must hav been almost half its weight in water in there, lol! I hav no idea where the hell it all came from (obviously the sky 1st) Think the oil may hav looked worse then it is, now the water has drained off, there is only a dash of oi sat about. In my mechanical experience, I wud say it was exceptible :-D

Neil, i think i may hav spoken to u at war and peace 2008, at the end of show? I had my camaro with me.

managed to use the bilge pump on the ront, also opened up the exhaust drain and the drain under the drivers seat. I recon that it must hav been almost half its weight in water in there, lol! I hav no idea where the hell it all came from (obviously the sky 1st) Think the oil may hav looked worse then it is, now the water has drained off, there is only a dash of oi sat about. In my mechanical experience, I wud say it was exceptible :-D

Neil, i think i may hav spoken to u at war and peace 2008, at the end of show? I had my camaro with me.

That sounds about right. If you are leaving her in the open there is a small handle pointing downwards located to the right of the I/P - look for a silver cam shape & you've found it. When not running move this into the UP position, turn on the main isolator switch then flick the switch to the left of it into the up position - this is also surrounded by guards to stop it being accidentally used - then turn off the isolator. You will hear a "thunk" as the induction valves are automatically closed. This stops water getting into the engine via the air intakes. Then behind your right shoulder is a lever on a crescent cog. Grab the handle and pullit up and back - this shuts the louvres over the air and exhaust inlets/outlets. these actions will cut the amount of water in the bilges dramatically. I only found this out at W&P when a former East German BMP driver showed me!! :)

Obviously remembering to reverse these actions before attempting to restart her!!

2008 - thats a long time ago!! :) I have troubles remembering who I spoke to a couple of days ago!! :) I do hope we got on....

How are you liking the old girl so far - apart from the starting issues???

Yeh its an ace bit of kit to own, loving every minute! Jus gota iron out the problems.

'If you are leaving her in the open there is a small handle pointing downwards located to the right of the I/P - look for a silver cam shape & you've found it. When not running move this into the UP position, turn on the main isolator switch then flick the switch to the left of it into the up position - this is also surrounded by guards to stop it being accidentally used - then turn off the isolator. You will hear a "thunk" as the induction valves are automatically closed. This stops water getting into the engine via the air intakes'

Ok, so im prob jus being stupid her but im guessing I/P is instrument panel and the handle on the cam is the emergency engine stop? Jus so I get this all right?

Now im staring to worry that water may hav got into the engine thro the intakes and that may be why it wont turn over? And has i hav experienced in the motor trade, DIESEL CARS HATE WATER and usaully bend valves, crack blocks and brake con rods when they drink it!!!!

Air there any inspection panels or ports to the air intake, and is it only the one at the rear of the turret?

No worries bout war and peace, u were vry helpful. U let me have a good nose around and inside ur OT-90.

Yeh its an ace bit of kit to own, loving every minute! Jus gota iron out the problems.

'If you are leaving her in the open there is a small handle pointing downwards located to the right of the I/P - look for a silver cam shape & you've found it. When not running move this into the UP position, turn on the main isolator switch then flick the switch to the left of it into the up position - this is also surrounded by guards to stop it being accidentally used - then turn off the isolator. You will hear a "thunk" as the induction valves are automatically closed. This stops water getting into the engine via the air intakes'

Ok, so im prob jus being stupid her but im guessing I/P is instrument panel and the handle on the cam is the emergency engine stop? Jus so I get this all right?

Now im staring to worry that water may hav got into the engine thro the intakes and that may be why it wont turn over? And has i hav experienced in the motor trade, DIESEL CARS HATE WATER and usaully bend valves, crack blocks and brake con rods when they drink it!!!!

Air there any inspection panels or ports to the air intake, and is it only the one at the rear of the turret?

No worries bout war and peace, u were vry helpful. U let me have a good nose around and inside ur OT-90.

Yep - I/P is the intrument panel. AFAIK regarding this lever - it's not an emergency engine stop (didn't know there was one to be honest) - just a means of shutting off the air inlet via electro-mechanical means. I'd have said it was too stiiff an action to be anything emergency plus it needs that other switch turned on to activate it. Mine is due for collection on Thursday - I'll take the camera and get some shots of the controls in question for you.

Can't help with any drain down procedure - best bet there is to talk to either Duncan Nichols or Richard Moore, the two main importers of these machines. I doubt if you have enough water in it to cause that sort of problem though. I started mine after the deluge of Friday and got an impressive fountain out of the exhaust for a minute or two!!!

STARTING NEWS! Went up to start it, no luck, put the generator and battery charger/starter on it for half an hour and woohoo (out aloud) it started. Had it running for bout a minute or two then with a big pop/bang (scared the S*%T out of me) and lots of nice creamy oil blowing out the exhaust and filler cap. stopped the engine, assessed the situation (trying to keep that big old fake, 'its ok smile on') to find alot of crank case pressure when I pulled the dip stick out. Waited a minute then started it again to see wat had happened? Lots of blowing/ air/ compression from where the head meets the inlet manifold driver side/ near side.

Looks like im busy this weekend stripping down the left bank. All info, support, and tech data like torque settings, messurements, amounts and capacities more than welcome! Oh, and gud will welcome!

Cheers Matt

• 2 months later...