My Father's National Service Photos 1950-2

Bystander

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three more tonight:

The first is I presume the Brigadier's Jeep. It also seems to show the stored aerial poles on the side of the adjacent LCV, and the furled pent house. (Driving the Jeep must have been exciting in the wet on those tyres!)

The second is inscribed on the reverse: "The battery charging waggon showing 6kW Coventry Climax generator + some 6V 170AH batteries."

The third shows 'his' White Scout Car again and is titled: "Stop for a rest on the Autobahn. In the front row 'Nig-Nog' Elliot, Priest, + Bottomly, + in the back row Nig-Nog_? Scotch guy in Bde + of course Taylor."

Jeep.jpg

The battery charging waggon showing 6kW Coventry Climax generator + some 6V 170AH batteries.jpg

Dad Temp 2.jpg

Edited by Bystander

The second is inscribed on the reverse: "The battery charging waggon showing 6kW Coventry Climax generator + some 6V 170AH batteries."

Hi Bystander,

Fascinating photos, hope there are a few more to come.

The second photo, battery charging truck, is a Ford WOT6 4x4 3 tonner

The poles on the side of the QL are for cammo nets. Fascinating detail of uniform and vehicles though, keep em coming!! :yay:

Sorry I was going by my father's comment that "aerial poles were stored in racks on the side" (Post No 5).

Uniform is an interesting point, while obviously the army was very strict on maintenance of particular uniform standards. There do seem to have been small ways in which variance was tollerated: I remember my father telling me that ties were quite a dark khaki as issued, but there was a craze to make them as light as possible and they used to scrub them with toothpaste to achieve this, and that it was a slow process with ties being progressivly lightened with many toothpaste scrubs.

The poles on the side of the QL are for cammo nets. Fascinating detail of uniform and vehicles though, keep em coming!! :yay:

Looks like another of TB's ill informed flights of fancy.....who would you believe, the man who used the vehicle and took the photograph and wrote the comments or a bus driver?:rofl:

Looks like another of TB's ill informed flights of fancy.....who would you believe, the man who used the vehicle and took the photograph and wrote the comments or a bus driver?:rofl:

Nah mate in this case, actual experience with an identical QL the rods for the top mounts are stored in the metal box on the front of the body above the cab. Actually that beast intrests me. it has certain peculiarites of fitting. Have you details of where the picture was actually taken? These vehicles were used during the fifty's and sixties as radio intercepters, especially around the top end of Germany to listen to Russsian miliatry traffic. Although, they were also conveted to Office Body, at that time. Phil's QL has a plate dated 1952 to that effect .

Edited by Tony B

Nah mate in this case, actual experience with an identical QL the rods for the top mounts are stored in the metal box on the front of the body above the cab. QUOTE]

I still know who I believe:rofl:

:red: :flowers: Score one to Degsey, asked the expert. Those poles are the mast type, not the camo ones, though in my defence they were used for both. There is apparently 100 foot of poles on bothe sides, and the counter balances.

The whole lot when up looks like this, Though that wagon may be a cihper truck.

001.jpg

• 3 months later...
Thanks Hanno, although in my father's commentary he said that LCV was an anotation for "Light Command Vehicle". Like you though I am puzzed what TEDV stands for and how it differs from a LCV - I note that it had louvres in the side and was wondering if it was some kind of diesel generating vehicle, but hopefully someone knows! It is facinating getting the low down from the experts on this site to piece the jigsaw of his army experiences together.

In Bart Vanderveen´s book on Bedford trucks I read reference to a certain Bedford QLR variant designated "T.E.V. (Terminal End Vehicle)".

Sorry, that is all I can find.

Hanno

In Bart Vanderveen´s book on Bedford trucks I read reference to a certain Bedford QLR variant designated "T.E.V. (Terminal End Vehicle)".

Sorry, that is all I can find.

Hanno

Thank Hanno that is very kind. Hopefully I will find an odd half hour to post the last few photos shortly.