Fox Owners, chime in

fadedsun

I have heard about them being top heavy.But was that enough of a reason to withdraw them from service???. Surely from a maintaince point of view,,the drive train must be less complex than a CVRT???.I thought that would have been enough to keep them in service,or were there other issues?.

I think It was the amount of fatal accidents they had that made them withdraw them. When I took part in the TA100 on Horse Guards last year I met a large number on Ex-Fox crew & nearly everyone I talked to mentioned a fatal accident..

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A CVRT is very simple compared to a Fox, there's almost nothing to a CVRT. You can change an engine or gearbox on a CVRT in an hour or 2. To get the gearbox out of the Fox you need to remove the turret and the entire interior. It is only just possible to get it out the back, been there done that, but you have to remove pretty much EVERYTHING from the inside of the vehicle. Any job on a Fox becomes long and involved.

I think Fox was withdrawn from service because it was a nightmare to look after compared with the simple CVRT. The Scorpion was withdrawn from service because the extraction system was ineffective and crews were becoming ill after firing the gun. This was around the time of the army reductions in the mid 90's and they had to reduce the number of vehicles. This is where the Sabre came in, Sabre is almost a Scimitar and it made sense to swap the turrets over. They got rid of all the Foxes and Scorpions and replaced them with 136 hybrids.

I have never heard anyone say Fox was withdrawn because they had too many accidents.

Chris

I have heard about them being top heavy.But was that enough of a reason to withdraw them from service???. Surely from a maintaince point of view,,the drive train must be less complex than a CVRT???.I thought that would have been enough to keep them in service,or were there other issues?.

Mark,

I was involved in the repair and maintenance of Foxes from when they entered service around 1976, till the last ones were withdrawn in early 1990's. From the very outset, they were troublesome, I recollect the high number of modification instructions in the early days. Regarding top heavy, I think more is made about fatal accidents than actually happened, the number of vehicles that came in for repairs after a rollover was very small, and we had a large number of dependants in our area. The maintenance of a CVR(T) is far easier than a Fox. The engine and gearbox is outside the turret area on a CVR(T), transmission gave less trouble than fluid flywheel and Wilson box and wheel stations. Also they did suffer cracks in certain areas, most worrying was the steering mounting. This could happen after a hefty thump to a front wheel station, like hitting a tree stump, etc.

This may not be the picture that private owners see of them, but when you had to keep them in active service, parts in short supply with long delays, you will understand. Other than that, they were a treat to drive........especially when the turret was removed :-D

If there are only 50 left worldwide.Then what happened to the other 250 or so that made up production?. Just memorys now.But iremember seeing these along with CVRT,s every weekend trundling along Clapham road s.e.london.They were operated by the royal yeomanary T.A unit out the duke of yorks on the kings rd.You wouldnt get any T.A unit now with armour.

When was this Mark??

Up till 1980 at least the inhabitants of the Duke of Yorks were:

21 SAS - A, HQ Sqns, OPS-INT, Signals, Training Wing, MT & REME

HQ of D(SAS)

A RAMC unit

A Para-Artillery unit

63 Signals

No armour of any sort was based there in my days. I think - but can't be sure that the Royal Yeomanry were over at Regents Park barracks???

When was this Mark??

Up till 1980 at least the inhabitants of the Duke of Yorks were:

21 SAS - A, HQ Sqns, OPS-INT, Signals, Training Wing, MT & REME

HQ of D(SAS)

A RAMC unit

A Para-Artillery unit

63 Signals

No armour of any sort was based there in my days. I think - but can't be sure that the Royal Yeomanry were over at Regents Park barracks???

This was mid 80,s through to the very early 90,s..I am assuming it was from there.As i followed a convoy of Foxes and CVRT,s once from the gate.It followed the exact route up Clapham road,where i used to see them go past every saturday and sunday mornings.

It still used to make a great sight every weekend.You could hear the whine from the engines,and the noise of the tracks from 500 yds away.You would then look and see a convoy of lights and orange beacons.It always would stop people in there tracks(pardon the pun)

Funny thing was there was always a fitters 109 or 110 following behindlaugh.gif

Engine removal prior to disposal.

What happened to the Foxes I don't know, but the engine packs were stripped down. The engines themselves went back in to stores, the rest went to a scrap yard. Luckily Helston Gunsmiths managed to buy the bits and sat on them for a long time. When they were offered for sale I went down there and spent a day rooting through all the stillages of spares. I managed to find everything except for an oil filter bracket, the aux drive flange and one pipe!

Second photo shows our rebuilt pack, the engine was a recon unit I found on its own amongst several hundred CVRT take outs - most had holes in the side. The fan pack came out of a crate, the radiators were fitted with new cores.

Stupid photos in wrong order, but you get the idea!

Chris

fox9.jpg

11-12-05 013.jpg

Engine removal prior to disposal.

What happened to the Foxes I don't know, but the engine packs were stripped down. The engines themselves went back in to stores, the rest went to a scrap yard. Luckily Helston Gunsmiths managed to buy the bits and sat on them for a long time. When they were offered for sale I went down there and spent a day rooting through all the stillages of spares. I managed to find everything except for an oil filter bracket, the aux drive flange and one pipe!

Second photo shows our rebuilt pack, the engine was a recon unit I found on its own amongst several hundred CVRT take outs - most had holes in the side. The fan pack came out of a crate, the radiators were fitted with new cores.

Stupid photos in wrong order, but you get the idea!

Chris

If most of these were scrapped,then how did some make it in to private hands?.And what parts are hard/or near on impossible to get?.

I guess a similar thing happened to the Foxes that has happened to the CVRTs which came out in 2004. Some were bought by enthusiasts, others by dealers, but the majority of them went for scrap. Those which remain now command a high price.

When it comes to Fox bits, it's easier to say what's easy to find. Basically anything common with CVRT you can locate, so thats the engine block, starter, carb etc, periscopes and the odd fixtures and fittings. The fans, flywheel, exhaust, radiators etc are unique. While they were around in 2003/4, they aren't anymore. All the Fox projects are gone, so are the engine spares, and there will be no more. When it comes to wheel stations or gearbox you can forget it. The gearbox has some common parts to Ferret, but the vehicle weighs twice as much, which is why I think they are prone to failure. The brake calipers are common to Stalwart, so you can get the pads though!

Chris

Not at all! They are great fun to drive, and if you have one that's been well restored you won't need to look for all the bits. You just need to make sure you look after it! The sad thing is, the vehicles which you see for sale are usually the poorly restored ones.

Chris

A mate of mine up here has three foxes, well actually two and a version that was a demonstrator for ALVIS overseas sales, i cant remember what it was called, not a Fox though, looks like a very big ferret, different shaped turret, i think they were trying to punt it out to a South American country but was never taken on, i think it was called a Polecat, i will ask next time i see him, he will probably sell it/them, as he is looking at scaling down his collection to a few trucks and a ferret/pig/champ!

Another mate has a Fox as well, common as muck up here!!

A mate of mine up here has three foxes, well actually two and a version that was a demonstrator for ALVIS overseas sales, i cant remember what it was called, not a Fox though, looks like a very big ferret, different shaped turret, i think they were trying to punt it out to a South American country but was never taken on, i think it was called a Polecat, i will ask next time i see him, he will probably sell it/them, as he is looking at scaling down his collection to a few trucks and a ferret/pig/champ!

Another mate has a Fox as well, common as muck up here!!

Vixen?