Weapon issue

Jack

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jack,

As I said before an M1 Carbine would be correct,just like the one you had from me :wink:

Matt.

Cheers Matt, got that and it is safely leaning up against our dresser 8)

Would a Signal Battalion driver be a signalman as well, if you know what I mean

Would a Signal Battalion driver be a signalman as well, if you know what I mean

Not sure on that one Jack,but a duel MOS wasn't uncommon.

Matt.

Jack, the 56th as part of the 101st in Operation Neptune was divided into a number of 'Detachment's'. A, B, C1,C2,D,E,F & Rear. They all served different roles.

Which Detatchment are you interested in?

Mate, you worry me as how do you know so bloomin much 8)

Just researching the unit that was billited in the next village so will know more when I have done that but I believe it was A company and that they did land at Omaha.

Organized 21 April 1944. Company "A" 56th Signal Battalion. Detachment Commander: 2nd Lt. George W. Galusha. Composition of Detachment: One (1) officer, thirty (30) enlisted men, five (5) trucks and one (1) trailer.

Station:

Departed home station Norton Manor Camp, Taunton, England: 1000 hours, 17 May 1944. Arrived marshalling area camp D-1, near Dewlish, England: 1400 hours, 17 May 1944. Boarded LST #647 at Isle of Portland, England: 1300 hours, 2 June 1944. Sailed at 0330 hours, 5 June 1944. Disembarked at Easy Red Beach near St. Laurent-sur-Mer, France: 1800 hours, 6 June 1944.

Mission:

The installation and maintenance of telephone trunk circuits between V Corps Headquarters and the 1st Infantry Division

This "A" company ?

Which Detatchment are you interested in?

Answer this one correctly, and maybe, just MAYBE you can have a pistol!

I think that I have read somewhere that ALL men from the 56th were indeed issued with sidearms.....amazing what you can learn if you look hard enough!

Could you look again then and tell me where you read that, please.

Jack,before buying a M1911-A1 you'd be better getting the Signal Corps specific kit,linesmans tools etc.

They are cheeper than a deact M1911-A1 too!

Matt.

What's the fascination with the pistol Jack? Cow's backside and shovel comes to mind, in other words about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I know you've worked on farms but I didn't know they had cowboys in Dorset. :? :lol:

What's the fascination with the pistol Jack? Cow's backside and shovel comes to mind, in other words about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I know you've worked on farms but I didn't know they had cowboys in Dorset. :? :lol:

LOL

.......its a childhood thing!