"Daisy" or "Rust Bucket" depending on who you ask in our house !

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey Andy! You've been busy. Looking fantastic. I'd have to take you to task on the 'slowest restoration' bit though. :-D Thor moves but I now need to tackle all the stuff you've just done. :sweat:Where do you get your DBG as a matter of interest? Did you have to replace any of the rear body metalwork cos it looks in good condition. Keep the photos coming mate. cheers. Daz

Hi Daz , The paint has become a bit of a sticking point at the moment ! I buy it from R&R on Milweb but I have experienced a problem on the latest tin ! It appears to be much lighter ! Not sure if this is because the first tins where older (DBG gets darker with age apparently)However they have kindly sent off a part I had previously painted to be colour matched at the paint manufacturers ! Touch wood all will then be ok ! As for the steel on the rear there are one or two parts that must trap water as they are quite badly pitted but I have only cleaned these parts up and given them a good coat of paint ! The winch frame is particularly bad on one side but I have no means of removing it at present so a good clean up is all she's getting for now ! Regards Andy :-D

just think how much work andy is goin to get done over the x mass holiday . now the paints drying and u can save all the left over wraping paper on x mass day and wrap daisy up ready for next year

hats off to u tho mate, you will have one gd looking explorer when shes finished .

nick

Edited by younggun

just think how much work andy is goin to get done over the x mass holiday . now the paints drying and u can save all the left over wraping paper on x mass day and wrap daisy up ready for next year

hats of to u tho mate your u wil have one gd lookin explorer when shes finished

nick

Thanks mate ! I still enjoy working on her so thats the main thing ! If I can get her looking half as nice as Floyd I'll be happy ! Enjoy your Crimbo hols mate and try to get some pics or vid of the road run ! :-D

Yeah.I definitely think my winch frame needs to come off to get round it properly. So much rust trapped in there. Shame about the DBG. Hope they can get a match. It certainly affects the finished job. That's the trouble with a long term restoration though isn't it? i'm actually looking forward to being out in the cold just to get some work done for a change. As Nick says, it's gonna look great when you've finished.

This is going to be a great looking truck just looked over most of this thread and its good to see detail like the rear axle arrangement , engineering at its finest , now looking at the engine pictures I noticed two alloy plates and the shape of what might be a manifold water or air ? well the other day I was looking for a fordson 4d engine and nearby was a large generator the engine looked just like the one in this truck sure it said Meadows on the radiator , would this be correct and if so what else might this engine be fitted to ?

Regards Phil

This is going to be a great looking truck just looked over most of this thread and its good to see detail like the rear axle arrangement , engineering at its finest , now looking at the engine pictures I noticed two alloy plates and the shape of what might be a manifold water or air ? well the other day I was looking for a fordson 4d engine and nearby was a large generator the engine looked just like the one in this truck sure it said Meadows on the radiator , would this be correct and if so what else might this engine be fitted to ?

Regards Phil

Hi Phil , There is a bit of Meadows history on this web page mate ! :-D http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/Engineering/Meadows/HenryMeadows.htm

Looking very good. Glad to see you are keeping up the enthusiasm even on these cold winter days.

What are you using to clean up the chassis and axles? Whatever it is is doing a fine job.

Hi Norman , Thank you ! Its a combination of needle gun, scrapers of various size, wire cupbrushes on an angle grinder , hand wire brushes, Nitromors paint stripper and then degreaser ! Finally a good wipe over with white spirit before painting ! :-D

Hi Andy.

Just read your thread from start to finish - so far.

Amazing transformation.

Your hard work and efforts are shining through mate.

As for the shelter you made - top banana.

Looking forward to more updates and seeing the finished result - whenever that may be - but I suspect the Scammell owners will reserve you a spot at War and Peace 2010.

PS - That gives you approx 7 months - so stop reading this reply and get a move on.

Markheliops

Hi Andy.

Just read your thread from start to finish - so far.

Amazing transformation.

Your hard work and efforts are shining through mate.

As for the shelter you made - top banana.

Looking forward to more updates and seeing the finished result - whenever that may be - but I suspect the Scammell owners will reserve you a spot at War and Peace 2010.

PS - That gives you approx 7 months - so stop reading this reply and get a move on.

Markheliops

:saluting: Don't you start Mark !:-D I know I'm taking too long :sweat:! I think its an outside bet for this year but I am looking forward to us getting there one day ! Any news on my favourite tank restoration yet ? I think a resto blog for a Chieftain is long over due ! :-D

• 2 months later...

Spent the last couple of days painting and reassembling the paying on tensioners and finally put the winch cable back on the drum ! :-D Back to paying work tomo :cry: More cleaning up of parts and painting next week when I have some more time , Hayley willing !:cool2:

DSC07721..jpg

DSC07782..jpg

DSC07791..jpg

DSC07699..jpg

DSC07810..jpg

DSC07697..jpg

DSC07736..jpg

DSC07790..jpg

DSC07815.jpg

Edited by AndyFowler