"Daisy" or "Rust Bucket" depending on who you ask in our house !

Next thing I attacked was the bulk head ! I have had a new bulk head top reinforcing channel folded as it had rusted right through but happily the actual bulk head panel was not corroded right through ! Another couple of years with moisture collecting there and between the angle iron floor support in front ot the fuel tank and I would have had to have new sections welded in ( Not my best subject) ! Then I started to remove paint from the chassis rails and kept finding fittings in the way ! So off they came (Hence the many photos to help remember what goes where ) ! The Radiator was a two man lift and I will need to rig up some lifting gear to refit it ! The rear cab frame will also need a different method to refit it rather than the nearly kill myself method I used for removal ( Not as strong as I thought )! When I removed the front tow hook cross member I discovered the drain holes for this water trap blocked and the bottom 3/4 BSF nuts almost totally corroded away on the N/S beneath the self recovery rollers ! Still smiling though !:-D

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02810.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

DSC03240.jpg

DSC05583.jpg

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: Wise words. This blog is making my efforts seem a bit tame....

Having seen some of your restos mate I have to disagree ! I think the tank trailer deserves a medal on its own not to mention that beautifull RAF Constructor that makes me smile still today thinking about it :bow::bow: ! :-D

On the other hand, I could have been making reference to the successful progressive Scammellisation of your domestic environment :cool2:

I can't complain, I haven't done too badly, but Mrs. NOS firmly drew the line at the use of a NOS Explorer radiator as a central heating radiator in the hall - not even the prospect of making it a convector type (by utilising a small electric motor, with original drive belt and fan) was enough to convince her.

And what news of Daisy's very young apprentice? He must be strong enough to productively wield a 3/4 W spanner by now, even if only as a hammer. Be sure to take advantage of his ability to access very tight spaces (of which the Scammell has many) before he grows too big :-D

On the other hand, I could have been making reference to the successful progressive Scammellisation of your domestic environment :cool2:

I can't complain, I haven't done too badly, but Mrs. NOS firmly drew the line at the use of a NOS Explorer radiator as a central heating radiator in the hall - not even the prospect of making it a convector type (by utilising a small electric motor, with original drive belt and fan) was enough to convince her.

And what news of Daisy's very young apprentice? He must be strong enough to productively wield a 3/4 W spanner by now, even if only as a hammer. Be sure to take advantage of his ability to access very tight spaces (of which the Scammell has many) before he grows too big :-D

OHHHHHHH ! Typical Andy Fowler mistake ! Sorry Tony got the wrong end of the stick as usual ! :-D

hi good to see daisy:-D

how did she get that name:confused:

She was named by Vicarys of Battle Thor , I assume cos she was yellow ! Not much yellow left on her at the mo though ! She'll be Deep Bronze Green when she is eventually:sweat: finished ! But still called Daisy ! :-D

She was named by Vicarys of Battle Thor , I assume cos she was yellow ! Not much yellow left on her at the mo though ! She'll be Deep Bronze Green when she is eventually:sweat: finished ! But still called Daisy ! :-D

nice does she like the green paint?

nice does she like the green paint?

I hope so cos it is a massive morale boost when some goes on mate ! Getting the balance right between stripping and painting before it goes rusty again is what frustrates me ! Probably could be better organised but thats me all over I'm afraid ! :-D Hows your cab coming along ? (please don't tell me its finished cos Jules will start on me again ) :-D:-D:-D:-D

Edited by AndyFowler

I hope so cos it is a massive morale boost when some goes on mate ! Getting the balance right between stripping and painting before it goes rusty again is what frustrates me ! Probably could be better organised but thats me all over I'm afraid ! :-D Hows yor cab coming along ? (please don't tell me its finished cos Jules will start on me again ) :-D:-D:-D:-D

no its not finished:cry::cry:

stripping and painting not one off my favourits jobs :(

got the headboard folded £10 that was a better price:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back by popular demand !:-D Not much to show for days of scrapping and stripping ! I now have one rear leaf spring in bits ,two cut up air tanks awaiting a friends assistance ,all the parts off the winch that I can get off with out a crane and several more buckets of old paint flakes . Also off is the rear brake servo and all linkages and copper pipes , also the pulleys down the chassis for self recovery and the crane winch drum and cable ! Thinking of removing the clutch while shes this stripped to ensure it has not stuck on and now cleaning paint off the transmission ready for repainting ! I'll post a few pics tomo ! :-D

Back axles must be the most depressing bit of the whole job. Everything is too heavy, there isn't much you can remove to make the job easier, most bits are caked in either oil or fossilised oil and all the castings are as rough as old boots so you spend most of your day crawling back out to sharpen the scraper again. You start thinking that stamp collecting is a more worthwhile use of time and resources.

Well done for sticking at it. And taking the springs to bits. It really is the only way to do them properly.

If I may make a teensie recommendation and depending on how enthusiastic you are feeling I'd recommend taking anywhere there is a pin, pivot or bearing on the brake linkages and stripping them down and cleaning them up. It amazes me how many links there are between your foot and the brake shoe each one taking a little bit of effort. Every one on ours was gunked up with that nasty, waxy mess which means that they take even more effort away from stopping the damn things. The four on the rocking beams were the worst on ours.

I still can't work out how anyone at Scammell looked at their brake linkages and the maintenance nightmare they had just created and thought, "a good job well done that". I didn't realise the Explorer managed to squeeze in more links not fewer than the Pioneer.

I agree Tony ! I'm all for sticky gunge in the right place but must it cover everything underneath a Scammell ? :-D:-D:-D

You realise once you've cleaned it all up you are going to have to replace a lot of the sticky gunge to keep it all working smoothly!

Unless you're going to place it in a museum. :whistle:

From my experience it doesn't take long for the sticky gunge to spread itself almost everywhere again, and where it doesn't cover the rust starts again, or the wood rots, etc....

Why do we do it??

Jules