GMC Workshop Van

HWade

Well i have finally managed to locate and purchase a Sand blaster, and what a bit of kit it is, well worth every penny I have started to blast a few bits of the truck, I hope to get stuck in at the weekend, I blasted the spare wheel holder and as you can see the sandblaster does a great job of removing all of the rust and paint. well thats it for now will post more info as and when the truck gets done.

Howard

008.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jack

Yep your right there they take the rust and paint off in seconds, I hate to think how long with a grinder or wire brush, you do have to be carefull on tinwork but at the moment I have not had Problem, going to attack the chassis at the weekend.

Howard

Hello N.O.S. will olive grab do for the grass or should I get a batch mixed. Speaking of which I managed to get the same olive drab as the Diamond t colour should be delivered this week.Will try and get a sample over to you, see what you think of the colour,its a more of a green than earth colour.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Well got the cab stripped and decided to make the most of the sunshine and get it sand blasted and in primer.There are a few holes to be repaired but I wanted to get the sand blasting out of the way, heres a couple of pics.

Howard

004.jpg

008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 25 Pounder

I would like to see a few pics is your a swiss body or a US body. Does yours still have the work benchs. I have done a few bits to my body but its going to be a major rebuild. Due to the roof on mine being a bit rough I plan to sand blast it and then get a company in to put a fibreglass skin over the entire roof.I have started to remove all of the roller blinds and the slides they run in, I am replacing the blinds with new material and blasting the metal blind slides.Well thats it for now.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have got a bit more done to the Shopvan, Have got most of the cab done and its back on the chassis, the two front wings are painted and so is alot of the other panel work. The wiring to the rear of the truck is also now in place.Heres a couple more pics.Now starting to rebuild the control panel.

Howard.

gmc 002.jpg

gmc 003.jpg

Nice work there - I agree with the question about having a day job.

It might have been in Switzerland, but it is a US body. I've talked to a few GMC owners with Swiss retro-fit bodywork on them over the years and the reason for this expenditure of money and energy s always given as the same thing.

The replacement bodies are a set width, height, and top corner radius so they could be carried / driven down Swiss logistics railroads / tunnels whatever.

Your body is the original high square-cornered US type, and it's realy nice to see on a hard cab chassis as so many had the rather pointless (for a workshop truck) soft cab

Hello Gordon

Thanks for your comments, I have been working on the truck today, I have had a closer look at the work shop body and I really have my work cut out. Theres alot more rot than I first thought, going to have to replace most of the outer skin and some of the inner skin. Will start this as soon as the Chassis cab is finished. I have just about completed all of the wiring today. Got a bit of welding to do on the cab and have to replace part of the floor pan.

Regards

Howard.

good evening tous.bonne continuation for your restauration.j' has; in dépacé one this after midday of the peripheral of CAEN but it had a closed cabin. it made party d' a convoy d' a Belgian club. it was very clean and in more it tractor drew a jeep with a tow-bar.si I find it during the turn of visit of the camping I will make photographs.

Well I had some piping made out of some canvas to fit between the wings and panel work,I saw this on another truck and thought it finished the joining really well.heres a couple of pics.The piping is made from a 5mm dia nylon filler and then olive cavas is folded over and stitched theres a 2" flange giving you plenty to play with and mark where the holes go.Once fitted you can trim off any excess canvas.I had a 7 metre roll of piping made so I could cut to the length that I need.

Howard

gmc piping 003.jpg

gmc piping 004.jpg

gmc piping 002.jpg