Electronic Ignition

There's been a lot of discussion on this on the G503. The purists don't like it for obvious reasons. If you never want to be bothered with messing about with points again then I should think it's the way to go. Apparantly it gives a stronger spark too, so you should start on the button no problem. Cons=Jeep Police will be after you.

Mark, Jolley Engineering does a kit. I believe I'm right in saying £200 ish, the complete works is built into the distrubutor, so its compltely hidden, apart from one extra wire.

http://www.classicheads.com/Electronic_Igx.html

I actually engineered my own, and have to say that the increased performance is noticable, better starting, cleaner plugs and improved low speed torque.

Our own Jack was looking into this some time ago, so maybe can he give you further details.

I am still toying with the Jolley kit for a B60 I wrote with some queries & got this reply:

"We do this kit from stock, price £150.18 ex vat. The system is highly reliable, being magnetic rather than optical. You replace the points and condenser with our module, which is mounted on a plate. Our magnet sleeve fits over the points cam. You re-use the existing rotor and cap. Everything fits inside the distributor, so there are no unsightly boxes in the engine bay or wires across the bay. It is virtually invisible - the only thing to see is that there are two wires going to the coil instead of one. This should be achieved either by feeding new wires externally from the coil to the distributor, or by using the existing shrouding and fashioning a method of using existing wires or feeding new ones through the shrouding. Everything is pre-set except the timing, which you set in the usual way, then forget it - never has to be done again. The existing points and condenser can be kept as a backup and re-fitted if required. Orders can be placed by email, phone or post, and payment can be made by switch, credit cards or cheque in £sterling on a UK bank."

What would make a big difference from a marketting point of view is to see a picture of the bits with the instructions & a picture of it installed inside the distributor. Pictures do sell products & if one is going to fork out a fair amount, it is going to help them if we could see it.

One time they where at "Malvern" the show which wasn't too far as they are from Malvern. But there was a man with a table & some very vague leaflets. If they had on display either the thing installed in a distributor or photos of installations in a Jeep, GMC & Ferret/Humber I am sure one would be much more likely to end up being a purchaser.

I have good results from a simple unit called Boyer Bransden inductive discharge ignition kit. Made by a company near to Maidstone (Boyer Bransden funnily enough).

It is the size of a small cigarette packet, the points are still used but only in a switching mode with minimal current, so they will not burn. Because the points have an easy life they may well last 25,000 miles. This unit is easily wired in to the system between coil and distributor. Available in either 6 or 12 volt, pos or neg earth...state which. The instructions say if fitting to a vehicle with auto gearbox, the idle speed may need reducing after fitting, this shows you how it improves the spark. I have used two on WW2 vehicles and am very pleased. May be able to use on a Rolls B range engine, would need a bit of fidling with the wires though. Best part of all, they were only about £25 when I last bought one, so well worth a go.

Any problems with it, the original sytem can quickly be reverted to.

Richard

I have good results from a simple unit called Boyer Bransden inductive discharge ignition kit. Made by a company near to Maidstone (Boyer Bransden funnily enough).

It is the size of a small cigarette packet, the points are still used but only in a switching mode with minimal current, so they will not burn. Because the points have an easy life they may well last 25,000 miles. This unit is easily wired in to the system between coil and distributor. Available in either 6 or 12 volt, pos or neg earth...state which. The instructions say if fitting to a vehicle with auto gearbox, the idle speed may need reducing after fitting, this shows you how it improves the spark. I have used two on WW2 vehicles and am very pleased. May be able to use on a Rolls B range engine, would need a bit of fidling with the wires though. Best part of all, they were only about £25 when I last bought one, so well worth a go.

Any problems with it, the original sytem can quickly be reverted to.

Richard

A bit like this then http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3162&criteria=electronic%20ignition&doy=19m3

I saw that Maplin module & submitted some questions a week or so ago for their FAQs. Asking about 24v & 6-cyl with 2 sets of points. But had no response.

I suspect they are still scratching their heads on that one, you could try Vellemans who make the kits for Maplin http://www.velleman.be/ot/en/product/view/?id=8946

That looks good Lee, have you tried one on your vehicle :?:

Nope, the Fox has electronic ignition & apart from having to put in a new condensor the Ferret always starts first time, no point in changing something that still works..

I spoke to Jolleys about their conversion for the B81 - it's not electronic ignition as such - a "breakerless" set up wpould be a more accurate description. I think at least one of the chaps on the Stalwart owners list over on Yahoo groups has one installed - might be worth a trawl through the message archives there????

I saw that Maplin module & submitted some questions a week or so ago for their FAQs. Asking about 24v & 6-cyl with 2 sets of points. But had no response.

Clive,

The set I described, from Boyers, would not have an issue with twin points or number of cylinders as it is wired between the coil and dist. terminal. Not sure they do a 24v. version, but considering it improves the spark, I would have thought the facility for supplying the coil with 24v for starting could be eliminated, so that only 12v is used for the ignition at all times.

Richard

Richard

Yes the 24v start could be easily immobilised by removing lead BST from the switchboard.

I am not sure whether that is required on the Jolley kit, or whether it has a wide voltage tolerance. If it required the lead being removed it carries a high risk of nit-wits forgetting to unplug that lead or so easily just forgetting & thinking that was lucky a lead come off , I'll just plug it in again :(

An expensive mistake at £150.18 + VAT

I wonder if you offered cash he might knock the 18p off that would give a discount of 21p including VAT :lol:

I have bought the Jolley set up for a B60 and will be fitting it to my Ferret in due course. I'll post a photo and update here if anyone still interested.

First impression was hell of a lot of money for a small lump of metal and a bit of plastic!

Instructions are rather basic and simply finish with "time the engine according to needs" which is rather annoying since none of the Ferret manuals cover how to time a B60.

If anyone can help on that score I would welcome any comments bearing in mind that a blow by blow account which assumes i know absolutely nothing would be preferred!

Lee,

That's a different system to the one in the Fox, however it does work on the same principle. When I was looking for an electronic ignition module for the Fox they were of no help. I know someone who has since been quoted a huge ammount for a replacement module. I found a brand new one on ebay for £5 ;)

Chris

Lee,

That's a different system to the one in the Fox, however it does work on the same principle. When I was looking for an electronic ignition module for the Fox they were of no help. I know someone who has since been quoted a huge ammount for a replacement module. I found a brand new one on ebay for £5 ;)

Chris

Still looking for a spare module just in case, How's the Fox doing??

I may fit electronic ignition to my Lightweight Land Rover, so thanks for the info and company contact details.

Which reminds me with regard to Richards remark

"Any problems with it, the original sytem can quickly be reverted to"

In the 1970's I fitted electonic ignition to my first car and it had a small switch under the bonnet with three positions; electonic ignition on or off and another position in the middle which acted as a ignition immobiliser and useful if I left my car in the street while on holiday. The switch was so small only a trained eye would have found it within a few minutes.

I wonder if the new systems have anything like this, as it would be added security for our MVs?

I had one of these elctronic ignitions that kept the points on my lightweight back in the 80s with the 3 position switch, useful imobilser. Also made it very easy to set the timing using the LED.

Landrover owners can now get a canadian developed electronic distributor for 4 cyl engines for £64, advertised in most of the mags

Better late than never. Boyer Bransden have been making electronic ignition components for some years now and sell widely to the classic bike market. I had one of their Kits on a 70,s Triumph triple. Which was a hopeless to time etc with its 3 sets of points but with the Boyer kit it started and ran fine.

Centurion