1942 bsa m20 military

warhorse

GREETINGS TO YOU ALL FROM CYPRUS. I AM NEW TO THIS H.M.V.Forum.

- I CAME ACROSS THE FORUM, WHILE SEARCHING FOR BSA PARTS TO REBUILD TWO MILITARY BSA M20s I AM RESTORING FOR SOME FRIENDS.

I HAVE NOTICED THAT A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM, "ferret", HAS A 1942 BSA M20 AND I TRIED TO CONTACT HIM BUT WITHOUT ANY LUCK SO FAR.

THEREFORE, I HAVE DECIDED TO POST THIS MESSAGE HERE, IF ANY ONE CAN CONTACT HIM FOR ME, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE HELP. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT OLD BSA WARHORSES...

CHEERS

KYPROS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am the owner of a 1940 BSA WM20 (with '43) engine. I have owned and used it for about 4 years now and bought it after a serious crash on my Ducati. My beast is off the road at the moment with a rear wheel puncture and I am awaiting a new tube to get her up and running again.

Here is a picture of my bike taken at Wellingborough Fire Station in April of last year (2008). Since buying the bike, I have found some rear racks and pannier bags. I also obtained a replica vokes filter for less than 200 Euros. I have yet to fit the blackout to the headlight which I got from Ebay for £10.00. The colour scheme is for early war and the red over blue represents an Artillery machine. I also bought two steel helmets, one without internal webbing for £10 (Cash Converters in Wellingborough) and another from the net for £36.00 and a camo net (supposedly from the set of Band of Brothers for a fiver). I usually fit three poppies in the camo to represent the three generations of my family who served.

Hope you like her......:sweat:

IMG_0696.jpg

Edited by Ewok

Hope you like her......:sweat:

Ewok, I certainly do like her. What a beautiful motorcycle. It's superbly equipped and a real credit to you. I look forward to seeing more pictures of this lovely BSA when you have the time. The 'photo you've just posted is now my screen saver. Cheers.

Iam Having a few probs at the moment. Took the head off to check if a decoke was necessary, not knowing it's previous service history and managed to shear a head bolt - Doh! to remove the bolt, I had to take the barrel off and found massive scoring of the piston and the top groove chock full of carbon - not good! I have tried to remove the broken stud, but it looks like a drill out and helicoil is in order. She won't be on the road for a while as finances are a bit tight (I am only working a 21 3/4 hour week at the moment). I have bought all the parts I need but a rebore and oversize piston are out of the question at the moment.

Here are a few more pictures, one is another view at Wellingborough Fire Station and the other was at the Crazy Diamonds Rally a few years back. The third is a picture of my poor old Piston which looks like it has had a partial siezure at some time.....:cry:

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

01010217[1].jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Ewok.

Im brand new to this previously unknown (to me anyway) site.

I own a 1940 WD M20, and Ive ran it for around 11 very enjoyable years. I have 7 bikes in total (all brits), and have a personal policy that when I take ownership I always (unless I know its been done recently by the previous owner) - take the barrel off for a peep inside. I did this to my M20, and found certain scoring etc, so I had a rebore and new piston etc.

Since then I have travelled many and numerous thousands of entirely trouble free miles, never once even missing yet a beat. So truly the design ideal still apply.

I was wondering if you had any idea as to why your problem has occured. I have known M20s to run rather hot, but particularly with the (actually recomended) 170 main jet installed. My own was like this, so I went up two notches to a 190. When I restarted it was obvious that the old girl was much much happier, a very steady tickover, no frapping and spitting, and with a nice cool cylinder. Its run like this ever since (10 years), and never fails to fire up first kick.

Of course there are plenty of other reasons for piston damage to occur, (even a flooding carb can wash the oil away from the bore resulting in seizure), but its best cured lest it happens again, and bits are bloody dear are they not.

Steve.