Fwd

FWDTEXAS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so far, we are looking for piston rings but may end up widening the grouves so as to be able to use modern rings. Having the laser cutter shure makes life a lot easier by having a tool or part made acuratly and quickly. Tiers that is wat we need, any links for that?

Sadly, we don't as they are missing on ours as well. I made up a dummy extension to go between the carb and the manifold but it has no butterfly. Mind you, I am not too troubled about having one as I understand that they make the lorry a pig to drive!

Steve

Sorry John, i dont have any suggestions for tyres. We managed to get hold of NOS ones for the Peerless and we had Polyurethene ones made for the Dennis. Quite cheap but we have no idea if they will be any good at all. There was a US manufacturer of new solids a couple of years back but they were very expensive.

Tim (too)

here are three companies that did the poly solids:

The firm we used was :-

Jobel Engineering Ltd.,

Hewas Water,

St Austell

Speak to Nigel Pinnick

Phone 01726 883555

mail@tyward17.fsnet.co.uk

Reliant Rubber Engineers Ltd.,

Grange Works,

Batley,

South Yorks WF17 6LN

Phone 01924 420 098

The British Rubber Co.,

The Old Station,

Station Road,

Baildon,

West Yorks BD17 6SE

Phone 01274 585 427

britishrub@aol.com

I have not looked for a website, but you should be able to get one from the name alone. By the time you ship them across to the USA i think that you might be better off buying rubber ones over there, unless of course you can find a similar company doing poly tyres out there.

Tim (too)

As you will have read on another thread, our FWD exhaust muffler blew itself apart. This is the second time it has done that. The first time, the driver who was tailgating us expressed his suprise at the large bang and pieces of shrapnel flying towards him by sounding his horn. I gave him a cheery wave as if to say "thanks, i didnt hear our exhaust blowing itself apart, but now that you have i will pick the pieces up off the road and put it back together again". Well, it went again but luckily, the ends seem to survive and Father has made a replacement.

DSCN9811.jpg

DSCN9810.jpg

DSCN9816.jpg

DSCN9815.jpg

DSCN9814.jpg

This one is made of a heavier gauge metal and should last longer

Tim (too)

• 6 months later...

I am new to the forum, searching for more info about FWD's and found this wonderful compendium of knowledge....

I have this FWD at my family's ranch. My great grandfather had a sand and gravel business in the 1920's-1930's and he used the truck to haul material. It has a crude dump bed on it and solid steel wheels(not spokes)like some of the trucks pictured in this forum. It is a long-long way from running, but is in relatively decent shape. Radiator looks solid without much damage to fins, FWD logo intact, spot light broken-but there, bonnet covers on sides so engine has not been exposed too much, but what appears to be the intake manifold has a hole in it. I have tried numerous times to move the truck using a 120 hp farm tractor-with no luck-the darn thing is heavy. My dream someday, when time and $$ allow, would be to restore it. My near future goal is to just get it safely moved into a place that will prevent further decay until I can secure the means to get it rolling.

FWDatRanch.jpg

That is nice to see. It looks to be in pretty good condition.

To find out more about the truck, does it have any surviving data plates. These are mounted on the inside of the scuttle and should look like this:

IMG_3594-1.jpg

When you say it is too heavy to move, are the wheels turning at all, or is everything locked up solid? Anyway, there are several FWD owners that post on here so i am sure that someone will be able to offer you some help. John is down in Texas (sometimes) so he might be quite close to you.

Tim (too)

All wheels roll, but the front axle is steering towards the righ and locked in that position(for now) so a simple tow is not an option. I took the front end loader on the tractor and attempted to lift the front end of the truck to get the steering issue out of the way-but as I attempted to lift the FWD, the rear tires of the tractor came off of the ground enough to prevent me from getting traction to move. I am going to fabricate a quick car dolly out of some old axles I have laying around and then cradle the front and rear wheels and move it about 2 miles down a gravel road to a barn/shop where I plan on keeping the FWD.

It does have the specification plates on the "firewall/bulkhead". I will get pics of those plates too, when snapping my next shots.

Excellent. That should reveal its history and possibly date it.

I see that it has the large brush guard mounted on the front. That looks to be a military addition, but the way it has been mounted is different from what i have seen before.

While you are taking photos, do get one of the rear tow hook as that might also indicate an ex military heritage.

Tim (too)

• 2 weeks later...

The state of preservation looks excellent. Can you jack the front and wrap everything in rags soacked in penatrating oil mix? The rest of looks so good it might just come free.My particular favourite snake oil is old gear oil, mixed with a bit of disiel, if you can pour on the joints warmed even better. That hitch definitley has a military look to it. Also is that front lamp an Acyetaline one?

Edited by Tony B