Blackpool seafront MV's

Smithy

I remember rows of sorry-looking Morrises lined up on Blackpool Prom in the late 60s when I used to go with my mum and dad for the October half-term holiday. I know they were Morrises because their fronts were just like the Airfix Quad. Airfix kits were my main source of MV identification back then! I think there was a QL too. They were painted in reds, blues and yellows as I recall and even at the tender age of about 10 I lusted after them, despite the rust. It's taken me 40 years to finally get hold of one.

I remember there being fewer of them each time we went. Where did they all go? Please dig out your photos!

Those axles certainly say Morris. Am I right in thinking it's on 20 inch rims too?

Drool.

Yes definetely Morris, and I think quad given the 20" wheels.

The chassis was all there (typical Morris sub frame for the engine) chassis pretty well rusted but still Morris!!!!

Unfortunatley the proper DUKW's got worn out. they were replaced for many years with purpose built German vehicles , don't know manufacturer and were known as 'Puddleducks'. Then local polotics got involved. :shake:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

There is no justice in the world!!!! All those DUKW's scrapped - and I only want one of them!!! :cry: :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

There is no justice in the world!!!! All those DUKW's scrapped - and I only want one of them!!! :cry: :cry:

When the family firm that owned the DUKWs at Eastbourne was sold, with it went an as released spare DUKW, in the shed for 30 yrs.

My Mate Gearge who worked for them had a hell of a job persuading the new owner not to rip out all the original fittings and alter it for use on the beach!

The owner was persuaded to sell it and buy a rougher one, a wise move financially too I should think.

• 6 months later...

www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=47788

check this out, really good footage of the bren gun carriers on the beach(1947) look out at about a minute and a half for a jeep with rear wheel arch covers towing an ice cream van.(my dad has a log look for one of these jeeps some where with the italian families name in it.:coffee: )

(DEGSY YOU WILL LIKE THIS MATE)

Takes me back, standing in the sea, freezing cold hanging on to the boats just to get a ride on the carrier. I seem to remember the carrier driver getting pretty wet too especially if the sea was a bit choppy:-D Perhaps one of the reasons they changed to trucks although it was probably more to do with availability.

Not quite at Blackpool but across the bay at Southport this photo was taken a couple of years ago. The contraption is used for fishing.

Any ideas what is underneath the body?????

Definitely a Morris back axle and 20 inch wheels - It is only short in stature so would presume it was based on a 15cwt Morris c8 4x4 .

Definitely a 4x4 also as you can see a front diff and the steering arm is in front of the axle (they were behind the axle beam on the c4 and cs8 4x2 models).

Similar vehicles were also seen on the front at Blackpool - If I can find the pictures I have I will post them up - These were easier to name as some still had the radiator and bonnets on with the tell tale "Morris Worlds" Rad badge - Bodywork was wooden - a simple platform affair and they were there like the old Nuffield and Fordson tractors for many years through the seventies and eighties until they simply rotted away!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Aha! After a year or more of searching I've tracked down some ancient MV photos that I knew I'd got hidden away. This QL is one of the Blackpool ones, taken around 1970. I'll never forgive myself for not getting my dad to take more photos, especially of the Morrises.

Come on, lads, somebody must have some!

Blackpool QL 2.jpg

Blackpool QL 1.jpg

• 6 months later...

A friend of my dad's sent these to him recently. Apparently they were taken in the mid-1990's while the Southport Airshow was taking place.

Are these any of the ones that have already been mentioned on this thread?

HP0011.jpg

HP0014 (2).jpg