Mystery Object No. 87

fv1609

How about boarding party weapons, or are those flint spikes? in which case were they issued to Celtic tribes in case the Romans brought some of Hannibals elephants over here?

Were they some kind of dry land keel hauling device, like a loofah with attitude?

Getting very warm.

So these are swung around on the end of a piece of rope or something, presumably as a weapon or they are used to ensnare something in the same way as the Bolas.

Anything like a grappling hook or the like for boarding enemy ships or climbing fortifications?

If they are a weapon I cannot see how you could wield two at a time unless they were both tied of the same piece of rope.

The ingenuity & humour of contestants knows no bounds. I have not been hiding because someone was getting close, simply my wife has been hogging the connection..... to ebay :shake:

I'm afraid I don't know how big they were, but big enough to do damage. Antarmike & gritintheye seem to have got it, with the conviction that it is a close quarters weapon. I had never heard of this thing before it comes from a book written in 1852.

When you google this you will find that it has the same name as some software which makes finding much out about it quite difficult. But one other source put its use in Roman times & soldiers were armed with two of them.

App1210.jpg

Edited by fv1609