White Helmets.

Swill1952xs

One of the first motorcycle display teams I ever saw made a lasting impression on me as a youngster of about 12. I saw them at the Sussex County Show at Ardingly (Just before it became the South Of England Show).

I seem to think they were called "The White Helmets" and were attached to the army. They rode off road versions of either BSA A7's or A10's with straight through exhaust pipes, and the sound was music to my ears. I seem to think they were A7's as they were like the Triumph Daytona's and always sounded more "Revvy" than the 650's. From the crankcase design, ie the classic 'Y' shape; I'm pretty sure they weren't A50's or A 65's.

If I could, I'd love to own an off road A7 just to hear that sound again.

Incidentally, the man who owns the farm where my donor Albion is kept had a Triumph Trophy in off road form. I must ask him what happened to that.

Sorry I'm rambling again. :yawn:The point of this thread is to ask if anyone else remembers the "White Helmets" (If the name is correct) and whether they have any information on them or pictures of the bikes.

The other bike I always liked was the BSA Victor 440? single and used to feature a lot in motocross during the sixties. The sound........ oh how I love a good old thumper four stroke. :)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

The White helmits used to apear at the royal tournement at earls court in London,sadly scrapped years ago,i thought the bikes were triumphs,but could be wrong.The Victor as you say was popular as a trialer,i believe the engine started out as a tiger cub 200cc,when bsa /triumph joined ,they stood the engine upright and made 250/350 used by army as the B40,the 440 victor and a 500 which they called a gold star ruddy cheak really as i had an original GS.No comparason.I think thats right but someone might know more.:-D

The White helmits used to apear at the royal tournement at earls court in London,sadly scrapped years ago,i thought the bikes were triumphs,but could be wrong.The Victor as you say was popular as a trialer,i believe the engine started out as a tiger cub 200cc,when bsa /triumph joined ,they stood the engine upright and made 250/350 used by army as the B40,the 440 victor and a 500 which they called a gold star ruddy cheak really as i had an original GS.No comparason.I think thats right but someone might know more.:-D

I actually thought the Victor was a larger version of the BSA Starfire 250, the successor to the C15. The Starfire had a square barrel as opposed to the C15's round / oval one.

Well there's a little something for the bike experts to mull over. :)

The Victor as you say was popular as a trialer,i believe the engine started out as a tiger cub 200cc,when bsa /triumph joined ,they stood the engine upright and made 250/350 used by army as the B40,the 440 victor and a 500 which they called a gold star ruddy cheak really as i had an original GS.No comparason.I think thats right but someone might know more.:-D

Hi CW,

Nearly right :). the Triumph Terrier 150cc was the original design, then Tiger Cub. BSA C15 and B40 sprung from them, followed by B25 and B44, then the mighty B50. I had a Sports Cub, also a B25 "Gold Star" (I know, ruddy cheek" but it was a fast bike for a 250 ), then a couple of B40's and a B50SS "Gold Star" (don't start that again :n00b:). The B50 actually won its class in the Production TT one year, beating japcrap :-D. It was a lovely bike and light for a 500.

When the Royal Artillery Display Team stopped using BSA Victors, I bought some new Beesa parts from them.

They were a nice looking bike,still used in classic events.

But what about this strange machine?

I built an ex-Navy B40 up like that Victor Special, got a brand new original alloy tank from Russells in Battersea, for........£11

The V-twin looks to have B50 barrels and heads, gearbox and chaincase ar Norton as is the frame I reckon. Seem to think I have seen this before somewhere :confused:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Its the B100 prototype ran for 2yrs did 20.000 miles but the factory had no money to carry on.i think it was 1977.

Good old Russells still going,i used to live across the rd from them till the councill evicted us because of asbestos.They then sold the whole estate to a private developer.:(