Pc security alert

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Spent half the night and most of today rescuing the PC.late last night i picked up a security alert which brought up a page pretending to be

microsoft,it said i had been invaded by spyware and offered me a program to fix the problem.i was suspicious but coudnt work round it,i dont know why my own checker didnt pick it up.It did a free check and listed all the risks.I still didnt trust it so downloaded another program to fix it.This was very difficult due to the constant warnings from the other one.This didnt work so used the one being offered,i paid and that was the end of that.no program and it wouldnt go away,one born every minute.:argh:Long story /short called the man in 4 hrs later we are back but the damage done was huge,all i have to do is get this ruddy text back to a proper size.So be warned all in all cost about £200 quid to put right,and i thought i would have a nice peacefull wk end away from the boat ha ha.missed chatham as well.Watch out for this my man did one on saterday as well.

:???:???:shake::shake::sweat::shocked::argh:got a headache now:-(

Had the same experience myself . Fortunately I have a friend who is considerably more computer savvy than I & he was able to rescue mine for me at no cost - sure there will be an exchange of beer somewhere down the road . Think I picked something up from an American website whilst I was trying to research the origins of the engine in my Falcon truck . like yours , my security system didn't pick it up either .

i dont know why my own checker didnt pick it up

probably because your virus definition were not up to date, only use a good paid for virus protection package & update profiles every day..

You can also run in addition to your virus protection Adaware... download here... http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-Anniversary-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html it works...

On a slightly similar theme has anyone else has the problem that if you search for anything on Google you just end up with pages of "companies" selling anti-virus packages ?

The links all look like the genuine site I'm looking for but as soon as I click on them I get loads of messages flash up warning of a virus and then it goes to a site that can sell something to fix it. Luckily nothing bad has happened and I don't bother using Google at the minute.

Richard

For anyone who might have the the same problem as a PC engineer i have to agree with Safariswing in regards to Adaware the other package that i use and is also Free is a program called Spybot S&D click the link to download page http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html ignore the donation box and scroll down to the download section and click on the first one in the box, as i use it all the time and works fine for me, also i use AVG free edition and Adaware and my pc works fine with no problems (touch wood). if anyone has a problem fill free to pm me and i will help you out as best as i can.

Edited by Mark Collins

Thanks everyone,one of the things my man did say some of the blockers were heavy on resources.Lucky all the pics were on Photobucket.:sweat:

Its a good idea to burn important pics on a disc, put them on photobucket (or similar).

To true,and back up,i supose i have been lucky after all this time not to have had problems before.:sweat:

If ever you get a situation like that when you can't work round it, first thing to try is to turn of you PC at the mains for a while and restart to see if it's still there, often works, don't blame me if it doesn't though!

We did try that Bernard,the pc man said it can damage the hard drive,he thinks mine has suffered,it shuts down and reboots on its own sometimes.its jagging he sez who knows,he might be touting for more work,i dont think so ,he is ok ,but definetly a hardware problem,any one got any ideas.?

I also use AVG free edition, and agree it works well. I sometimes turn off the content filter in IE to speed things up when I trust the sites I am on (like HMVF :) ).

Other thing I have done is make my PC dual boot, with a linux partition, back all my stuff up to that drive. Never get any viruses etc on Linux, and if all else fails I have all my files.

I have a second HDD installed and use Casper to clone my master drive onto it after running defragment/virus scanner/CCleaner. This has saved me lots of agro a couple of times because all I have to do if something goes very wrong is to re-boot useing the cloned drive and I'm off again in minutes with every thing as it was at the time I cloned it, I can usualy then google the problem and sort it.

If I can't fix it, I use the second drive for a while to make sure it's OK I then clone it back to the master, which is wiped at the same time which gets rid of the problem.

Some people don't like cloning as any problems/viruses etc are copied as well, I have never had a virus or any spyware off the web, I did have one trojan that came in from a disc, I have only ever used Firefox and had Avast free edition for many years.

A little free program called Startup Monitor is very useful, it prevents annoying programs from registering themselves behind your back. XP only I think.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

Edited by gritineye