fv1609

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

M3KVG

I have a fully working 19 set installation for my Daimler AC. The problem seems will be finding someone to talk to!

I did the foundation course that Reme245 mentioned but not used it since. Haven't used a 19 set in anger since the cadets in the 70s.

Cheers

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Seeing references in other threads, made me wonder how many of us on here are licensed radio amateurs?

de G4MBS (ex G8ADP)

Hi Guess I should of mentioned this in Introductions....... I am G0PTR, and I still play radios and burn my fingers....

If youy checkout QRZ.com I run Larkspur C11/R210 and I also have Clansman RT320...which I have just put LSB module in....I know sacralidge an all...

Looking for the Radio Table that fits C11 into Champ.......I expect someone might know where to look...

73's

M0JXN here, I haven't been active from home for a while but when out with the champ always bung a rig in. Have working C13/C42 station in the back of the champ although temporarily put the ws19 in on sideways mount for champ camp recently.

I'll be active at Beltring next week! 3.615 A.M. should get a response if you're in the area..

Paul M0JXN

M0JXN here, I haven't been active from home for a while but when out with the champ always bung a rig in. Have working C13/C42 station in the back of the champ although temporarily put the ws19 in on sideways mount for champ camp recently.

I'll be active at Beltring next week! 3.615 A.M. should get a response if you're in the area..

Paul M0JXN[/imagejpeg

My younger brother has just qualified and is looking for a tower/mast to stick up on the field,if anyone's got one within sensible distance of Warwick for sensible money please let me know and I'll let him know,thanks!

Apart from 2 VRC 353's in the vehicle I've just bought a couple of PRC 320's and will take one to Beltring to see what I can receive. Hope to pick up a couple of bits (battery / hand charger). I've no radio licence so will not be transmitting but look forward to hearing something. PM me with your location at W&P and perhaps I can pick your brains.

Richard

• 1 month later...

2E0WKT - Got my foundation licence in January 2012 and intermediate in May 2012. Hoping to complete the trio by end of the year. :-D A member of RSARS (No 4160).

Just got a PRC320 Manpack but need to source a battery. Witham Specilaist Vehicles at Grantham (http://www.mod-sales.com) have a large number of unused Clansman Batteries (four large boxes) in their current tender sale and I would be tempted to put in a tender if I had somewhere to store them. Should we start a co-operative?

Regards

Golfhotelwhisky (2E0WKT)

Hi Phil

What bands are you planning to use with the 857 ? Having bypassed the transformer is probably a step in the right direction (although on HF the Clansman whip bases were used without the cylindrical matching section that contains the transformer anyway).

If it helps the original HF setups used either the RT320 with its internal tuner or the VRC-321 with TURF-25W, both of which are basically designed for electrically short antennas needing extra series inductance. Ensuring that the other side of the antenna feed is well grounded via the side stalk to the vehicle is also essential unless a counterpoise wire is used. The whips to fit the base can be assembled as 2, 3 or 4m lengths officially although I have seen amateurs use up to 5 - it is possible by choosing the right number to get close to a 1/4 wave on 20m, 15m and 10m with a little trimming of the top section!

On VHF they were used with the TUUAM Auto-ATU and the additional matching transformer was needed in the base - TUUAM is intended to work with an electrically long 2m antenna (would be 1/4 wave around the bottom end of the 30-76Mhz military VHF band). I have pruned a set of 2 elements for 6m and used them with an HF base moderately successfully in the past.

As amateurs operating on narrow bands we can use optimisations that weren't practical for the military. In particular you will likely find a trimming the elements to 1/4 wave and using a 1/4 wave counterpoise wire attached close to the feedpoint helps with both HF and VHF to keep RF out of the vehicle (so the vertical element and counterpoise act as a dipole)

Hope this helps

Iain

73 de G0OZS

• 11 months later...

M0MOG – My principal activity revolves around a 1964 Unimog Radio-teleprinter rebroadcast station, from which I operate valved Rohde & Schwarz and Siemens gear on HF (AM speech, RTTY and Morse - learning). Also operate an SEM 25, SEM 35 and SEL 52 on VHF when at shows. The reality of not having too much hobby time these days means I am on-air no more than once a fortnight.

Always looking for others to try-out RTTYon HF.

Well, maybe not British radio kit...though it was on occasion used by BW liaison teams supporting Harrier ops in Germany!

Cheers

Steve

• 2 months later...

So much for being observant, lol - just noticed this thread :-)

G1LIW here, not that active, although now I've got a uk/prc-320 with all the bits (less morse key), I may well become more active; also have a Yaesu FT-817, Yaesu VX-5R, and most recently an Icom ID-51E (which I *still* haven't figured out how to use properly!)

Hmm... there's a bit of a mobile/portabubble trend with all that kit...:D

• 3 months later...