Not a Dunkirk Boat

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Many boats were pressed into service during WW2,not many got the glory of Dunkirk ships,Its a popular misconception that they were all crewed by there owners.Most were crewed by Naval personell and towed over.It was still a remarkable feat none the less.There were many boats that lasted the duration of the war working for the admiralty,The jobs they did were

as dangerous if not more so than the dunkirk ships.Many of these were crewed by the owners,some clandestine trips,surveys and logging wrecks

downed aircraft etc.Picking up aircrew from the floating refuges in the channell.Balbus was such a vessel,built as a survey boat by the owners

in Shoreham.It looks different today as it would of only had a small wheel shelter.the owner on retireing built the full cabin so he could use it as a leisure boat.Jim lived on the boat on Hayling island,he wanted it moved to Fareham creek,top end of Portsmouth Harbour.The engines are twin lister blackstones.3 cyl with huge flywheels on the front of the crank.You pull out the stop cable and about a minute later it stops.

I gave Jim a huge checklist as the boat hadnt been to sea for a long while.Come the day for moving it was blowing a Force 7 northerly.As this would blow us out of chitchester harbour and keep us blown of the coast

i wasnt worried.As it happened it didnt all go to plan.I will let the pics tell the story.

Balbus0002.jpg

Prepairing to leave.

Balbus0007.jpg

were off Jims at the wheel.The wind is on our left,port side,its strong allthough we are a bit sheltered.

Balbus0006.jpg

Oh dear wrong way.it wont steer Jims sez,must be the wind,

Is one engine running faster than the other CW ?:confused:

Maybe a little your on the right track though we dont find out till portsmouth.:-D

Balbus0009.jpg

Round two we try again,i checked everything couldnt find anything wrong.

Balbus0008.jpg

thats better steve keeps the bow over with a rope.

Balbus0010.jpg

The boat on the left is a Dunkirker.the one on the right is an ex admiralty MFV.

Jims at the wheel.He turns into the channel and it wont go,the winds on our port bow,we run aground.:argh:

Luckily the yard crew are out in the work boat and manage to pull us off the mud.We make it out into the main channel and the winds behind us,thank ----for that We meet the yard owner in his rib he tells Jim he really shouldnt go.We discuss it ,i dont have any worries about the boat i tell them they will give up before the boat.if we turn now ,if it turns.we will have the weather on the nose not nice.The worry is stiring all the crud up in the tanks.We go on but Jim wants a fag so i take the wheel.Jim finishes his fag but doesnt wont the helm back.We clear the entrance and turn to go up the solent ,it doest like the turn ,wind now on starbord side.The old girl clatters on but the bows pointed at the Isle of wight and we are crabbing along the channell and the rudder is on full left hand.One of the forts is my aiming point but we are drifting in shore even tho the wind should be holding us off.I dont tell the others but ask Jim to pull up the hatch and make sure the right hand prop is driving.He sez it is,what he doesnt say is its spinning as fast as the other one,cos it ruddy well isnt.i dont know this at this point.We make it round the fort and head down the channel to Portsmouth.wind on the nose,i cant afford to back of the throttle as i lose steerage as soon as i do.We get to the harbour entrance

and a sailing boat decides to fetch its sails in right in front of me.i have boats either side no where to go,i back off ,straight away the wind blows the bow off and i am pointing acrooss the harbour at a freighter outward bound.I go hard astern on both engines to try and straighten up,then ahead and it comes round.We call the Marina for a easy birth because of our problems.We fender up in the lee of the pilot station then move off to the birth,it moves off really quick .in my hard astern moment,did lose me rag for a minute i had freed off the g/box cable and we now had two props.Yes i did kick Jim up and down Gosport high st.The following day i moved the boat up the creek Jim wouldnt take the wheel.He has since been to sea in bad weather in his sailing boat and that didnt worry him.

Jim sold the boat,it is now lying back in Chitchester Harbour deteriating.

Sad end to a brave little boat.Lets hope some mug like me comes along and saves it.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

Always fascinating stories, thank you

Now get on with the Africa trip, I am forgetting how it started, its been so long :-D

I did some today:confused:

Stanfords.jpg

it can be a bit tricky but its all soft mud.

pontoons3.jpg

Note the two ww2 boats on the left now live aboards.The smaller one had a rotten hull so they made a steel pan floated it out and the boat sank on to it at low water,they then sealed the two together.

Balbus is 26,Horatia is 16.

There's 3 No16's and 2 No9's:confused:

B16 b26,where did you get 9 from.put another log on the fire go back to sleep:-D:-D

The smaller of the boats is PLATYPUS built in 1944,British powerboat Company.MTB triple packards,operated out of Lowestoft.

The bigger boat 110 ft,Motor gun boat.built in 1943,one of only 24.

Three Hall Scott petrols,not familier with those engines ,is any one else?.

MGB 325.