Jack

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No.

Rediculous? You try having it made from scratch!

I can understand the cost - the moulding must of cost a fortune. We have to thank folks who are willing to take the risk to get things like this done. Otherwise we and history would lose out.

The track is (I believe) 25,000 euros. If you can find a Sherman for 50,000 now, I would advise you buy it!

You're right, it is a lot of money, but it is a huge outlay for him. Anything Sherman sems to be crazy prices with no real sign of a slackening.

The Grizzly tracks were new but sprockets are hard to find though not too bad to make and of course Grizzly track is not 'right' for many Shermans. Needs must though!

wildside

Nice to see all these tanks but not one mention of the one at slapton sands. Reputedly there are more sunk in the bay there as well ..........

There have been photos of the M4A1 DD memorial tank posted on the Forum, that's why the forum has a search facility.

As far as other tanks being over the beach at Slapton Sands, I think there were at least 3 DD sunk of the beach (two certainly visible in a air recce photo taken of the area after training) but all but one was recovered in short order.

There is a rumour (discounted by Ken Small the guy who recovered the M4A1 DD memorial tank) that a standard M4 or M4A1 fell off a Rhino at the north end of Backpool Sands during training with Rhinos as both ferries and causeways. Photographic evidence confirms that area was used for training with Rhinos. At least one of the LSTs involved in the Tiger disaster was either carrying or towing a Rhino when the S boats attacked the convoy. The area where the tank is aleged to have sunk is further out, deeper and rockier than the area where the M4A1 DD was recovered and certainly merits further study.

Steve

The track is (I believe) 25,000 euros. If you can find a Sherman for 50,000 now, I would advise you buy it!

You're right, it is a lot of money, but it is a huge outlay for him. Anything Sherman sems to be crazy prices with no real sign of a slackening.

The Grizzly tracks were new but sprockets are hard to find though not too bad to make and of course Grizzly track is not 'right' for many Shermans. Needs must though!

Read it again adrian. I said half the price of a sherman. and that would be a cheap sherman at £100,000. But as you say Sherman Prices are huge at the minute but its needs must as you say.

wow cool pics sorry not got any but as a serving soldier ive seen a couple a sherman hvss type lives downtown medicine hat as a war memorial and a few years ago whilst based at swanton morley we went to theford in our cvr(t)s and i drove passed a sherman barv i think (hence i now alwayys deploy with a digital camera) also whilst in bosnia 96 there was an m18 hellcat near glamoc not on the ranges and im sure recoverd by now

Excellent photos, always loved the old Shermans, no-doubt cos Chris Wilkinson had them!! I remember him selling one to a guy in Holland, think it would have been between 93 and 95? And I don't know where his other one is now, I last saw it at his house a couple of years ago. Gutted that I lost my photos of the yard.

Chris Wilkinson had 2 Grizzlies in the 80s- early 90s, one Shop No 7- an early model without applique armour on the hull went to Belgium. The other Shop No129 was a later model with the hull armour thickened in lieu of the applique armour- don't know where that one is now.

Steve

• 4 months later...
Chris Wilkinson had 2 Grizzlies in the 80s- early 90s, one Shop No 7- an early model without applique armour on the hull went to Belgium. The other Shop No129 was a later model with the hull armour thickened in lieu of the applique armour- don't know where that one is now.

Steve

Caught up with Simon Wilinson last night, No129 he still has at the moment. I'm going to get a long and have look at it soon, I'll take plenty of photos!!:D

That M4A1 76 looks to be in rather good condition... question though... when did the late model M4A1s introduce the full depth rear hull? The earlier ones are raised in the middle roughly in between the air filters. Was the mod introduced at the same time as the larger hull hatches?

just been on biville range with google earth and there's a few wreck pics to click on, a couple of half tracks panhards and an m8 armoured car in good condition, looks like there's good access to the range area aswell. i couldn't find the shermans though.

eddy

eddy8men

looks like there's good access to the range area aswell.

Yes it's probably called "Rue de Flick" -ie the gendarmes will have you on the way out.

The Shermans photographed were fairly early production- although its possible that hull swaps haven't happened during their MADP life -they only taken out of service after the attempted OAS coup in 1962.