Sherman Tank Gallery

Jack

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few years back i made a list off the surviving shermans in Belgium.

It isn't up to date anymore, but the most of them are still at the same location. The adres is http://www.afvregister.org/M7B2/Belgie.htm.

A more up to date list (not only Shermans) is the document I've created with Neil Baumgardner: http://www.afvregister.org/The%20Belgian%20Historical%20Afv%20register.pdf

Michel

for those of you who can't wait

sherman1.jpg

Sherman Vc

sherman2a.jpg

M4 Composite

sherman3.jpg

another M4 Composite

sherman7.jpg

another Sherman Vc

www.afvregister.org

www.afvregister.org/M7B2/index.htm

Actually, not finally! A couple more Rams this time on Fingringhoe. Both now recovered for restoration.

Thanks for sharing all these pics, Adrian! Over the years you showed me many of them, the last two ones were new to me, though.

Speaking of Rams on ranges, do you know about a Ram on the Upper Hulme Range, Staffordshire (a.k.a. Anzio Training area or Leek Training area)? I came across pictures (courtesy Gareth Ewart) of this one on http://www.ramtank.ca/ramphotos2.htm

ram%20tank%20015a.jpg

Hi

In Denmark we have 7x Sherman M4 A3 E4 left, 1x M32, 1x M74 and ?x M 10 Achilles IIC, some of the pics are form http://www.drostrup.com/

2 of the M10s are in running, the Shermans are all in very bad state same goes for the M32, the M74 is being restored ( if any one has a spare Final drive: Herringbone gear. Gear ratio: 3.36:1, please contact me).

Some of the M 10 are going to be restored, at some point.

G024.jpg

G045c.jpg

G001.jpg

lastning%2038.jpg

CIMG1036.jpg

CIMG1046.jpg

CIMG1047.jpg

CIMG1048.jpg

CIMG1049.jpg

CIMG1051.jpg

Wow I've never seen so many 17 pdr M10s in one place!

Were these photos taken a number of years ago? What is the plan with the other M10s shown in the photos.... any ideas.... The web site is very nicely set out, seems most of the M10s already have new homes.

Adrian....

What sparked off the UK range clearances of WW2 armour in the 90's?

Edited by ajmac

Wow I've never seen so many 17 pdr M10s in one place!

Were these photos taken a number of years ago? What is the plan with the other M10s shown in the photos.... any ideas.... should we expect another armour auction any time soon?

Hi

These photos are taken last fall, from what I know around 20+ M10s left in Denmark. in different states, from complete wrecks to more or less complete.

There havent been scraped any M10 or ww2 armour the recent years, only the towed Bofors 40mm aa guns and 105mm 155mm and 203mm guns.

The plan is to get as many a possibel running again, the others will be used as gate guardians or spares.

None will be sold, the Danish goverment wont sell any AFVs or weapons, one ore two might be exchanged with museums, I know that they are looking for a M41 walker bulldog.

Cheers

Adrian....

What sparked off the UK range clearances of WW2 armour in the 90's?

Alastair, it started before then really. The Budge Collection recovered a few items in the late 80's and this started a trend. There had always been the odd recovery prior to that but since then, many museums and collections have increased their stock from the ranges.

Some rare types have been found this way too. There is not much left now though. Once Chieftain was available in numbers for hard targets, much of the older stuff was cleared, often for scrap.

Pistol ports went through a lot of changes in the production life of Sherman. For a while in 1943 they were deleted altogether, Grizzlies not having one as they were built at that time. Existing turrets sometimes had it welded shut complete with its hinge and sometimes the door was just trimmed and welded in the opening. Sometimes, as in this case, a plate was welded in the opening.

Correct for wartime, just an indication of when it was built.

Really?!? That building it sits in looks a lot newer. . . .

:D:D

I knew this was going to happen. :)

Dokter Who had something to do with the WW2 tank appearing in a modern building... :coffee:

(A Brittish telephone booth was spotted in Oosterbeek)...