January 27th 1987 - Last German war criminals released in the Netherlands

Joris

On January 27th 1987, after 44 years, the last two German war criminals still held in prison in the Netherlands were released. The dutch parlimaint voted to release them with 85 in favour and 55 opposed and it caused a lot of mixed emotions in the Netherlands.

The two, Franz Fischer and Ferdinand aus der Fünten were transferred to Germany where the latter died after just two months in freedom and the former after 9 months.

The two were first condemned to death but later got life.

Ferdinand Hugo aus der Fünten was an leader of the Zentralstelle für jüdische Auswanderung which deported Jews.

Franz Fischer worked for Referat IV-B4, an organisation that hunted and deported jews and other people who were hiding from the Germans.

Franz Fischer worked for Referat IV-B4, an organisation that hunted and deported jews and other people who were hiding from the Germans.

The word hunted used in this context really plays with my mind. Don Burgett uses it in his books and also whilst talking at Gathering of Eagles. It really really chills me and stays with me for weeks afterwards. I suppose in a sense it scares me.