Firefly Project

ajmac

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hanno 2 types of 100 round boxes were in use , the standard side opening box wich you see nowadays on restored vehicles , but there is also an earlyer WW1 box with canvas carying strap , and a latch lock,identical like on Sherman bins . these boxes are on stowage diagrams.

Hanno, the early 100 rd box is the 'chest, ammunition, cal. .50 M17 D39091' and is not designed to fit on a pintle mount. It seems to be used purely for the storage of belted ammo. The 50 rd box seems to be only known as 'box, ammn. .50 D68375 and this is designed to fit on a mount.

I think the M17 was replaced by the standard box we all know which is designed to fit on a mount.

p3140003.jpg

You could be right , I was told they were > I got some from a chap who lives near Veurne (ww1 area) and said they used to have loads of them , already from before WW2 . They have no black printing . Found two in Ciney for 5€ each , and they have the black stencelling on.

Here are a few shots I've located on Spanish language google searches..

All Argantina spec Fireflies, the photos from the docks are nice, 1978 being shipped to a trouble spot with Chile.. aparently the Chileans brought 100ish M51 Isherman Shermans from Israel to combat the threat from Argantina... that would have been intresting...

• 1 month later...

hi , here some pictures I took of how my firefly is comming on , Wiring has to go in first then battery box and storage bin, they are welded in in Firefly`s so not possible to reach afterwards .

Found front pannel for battery box , but now still looking for measurements for top of Box .

P1010032.jpg

P1010033.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

• 6 months later...

After some in between jobs (WOT2) Achilles , I am back on the Firefly project .

I was yesterday assembling 2 Homelite generating sets , one cilinder on top , and one cilinder at the bottom (for The Firefly , and the M4A4), I will post pictures wenn they are ready , but the question now is what will be the set gap of the points ?

Sherman Manual doesn`t tell , there used to be a manual just for the homelite, but i haven`t got one.

So if somebody knows please let me know.

After some in between jobs (WOT2) Achilles , I am back on the Firefly project .

I was yesterday assembling 2 Homelite generating sets , one cilinder on top , and one cilinder at the bottom (for The Firefly , and the M4A4), I will post pictures wenn they are ready , but the question now is what will be the set gap of the points ?

Sherman Manual doesn`t tell , there used to be a manual just for the homelite, but i haven`t got one.

So if somebody knows please let me know.

I have...... :cool2: Standby....

Thanks Adrian , I am also now in the stage that I am Assembling the Radial engine from new bits , In the Manual it says that you should tighten the crankshaft bolt till it is expanding a certain amount , I put a big torque wrench on it , but with micrometer on it , I can`t see any difference in lenghth , anybody else has experience with these?

Yes I am using new crank , new bolt , etc .I am building an engine that never existed , I colected enough NOS parts to built one . The only used bits are the mounting frame , and some push rod tubes.

I tried to stretch that new bolt , but I am frightenned that if I tighten it even more , the fine tread will be pulled of.

The firefly Generator is almost assembled , just carburettor , and electrics in instrument pannel have to be installed , the generator for the M4A4 with the cilinder at the bottom has only the dynamo bit the same , and crank with piston , pictures will follow soon .

P1010474.JPG

P1010475.JPG

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the update Maurice, I forgot you had an older M4, I had convinced myself it was an M4 Hybrid Hull! According to the Firefly books I've read the last vehicles to be converted were older M4s as stocks of M4A4 (Sherman V) and M4 Hybrids were running out / down.

PS. Thanks for all the Loyd help, much appreciated.

but what is meant by the last to be converted !! If you look at pictures in Normandy , you see already IC `s on the move . On the other hand I found a IC hybride in a book about Holland , and later found a picture of the same tank (same T number ) in Use in Normandy still with the 75mm gun in it . So even tanks already in use were converted .

M4A4 `s on the other hand with electric turret traverse were never earmarked for conversion , all the ones in Europe with 75mm gun in it as monument are with electric traverse.

The M4A1 is never used as Firefly because with the rounded sides there is no place for the rearranged stowage , the Grizzly converted in canada doesn`t have all the stowage bits converted.

Mark Haywards book suggests that the first conversions were to M4A4 as they came over from the US, then M4 Hybrids as they were shipped then older M4s that were recalled in the US. There are various original documents referenced in his book from which he draws the conclusion that the availability of suitable Shermans to convert in 1944 was causing quite a concern in the War Office. I presume that is why the ended up back loading and converting vehicles that had already been issued to the British Army and were in use in Western Europe.

When you look at the Firefly holding records through Mid 44 to 45 it is quite clear that the balance between M4A4 stocks and M4 stocks tipped as the war drew to a close, as M4A4s dwindled and M4 holding rose.

Edited by ajmac