Firefly Project

ajmac

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good pyrotechnic man can make you an electrically fired smoke pot. No license required to own or use.

I have the drawing for the bracket Maurice if you mean the one on the turret, I also have some repro. bomb throwers like mine.

On Ex Bugle Call in 1976 (HQ UKLF wanted to film a LOT of tanks on the move to represent a Soviet formation) we found modifications made to our Scorpions so that when an umpire called out a callsign destroyed, the driver hit the four-way flashers and stopped. Pyro wired up to the indicators and WOOF it disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

As one of three vehicles to successfully navigate the minefield (there were training AT mines which set off smoke if we found them), we had great fun removing the unexploded pyro. I have a vision of Endex at the top of a hill surrounded by Milan or whatever AT teams etc in some sort of inferno as the Plain burned from all the pyro.

The point of the film was to try and make the Commies believe that our killing zones would stop them dead within miles of the IGB. It may have fooled them but it never fooled me.

Adrian,

As you are working on the Wheatcroft Firefly turret ATM do you know if they have the corrisponding hull? Or are they going to transform a standard M4 / M4A4 hull... in due time. If you are not at liberty to say; no problem.

Which brings the question:

I can understand secrecy in the vintage sports car racing circuit (because they cheat, and don't want to be found out - that IS a fact by the way), but in HMVs why:??? it's not as if you can get one over on a fellow owner... I only ask as some posters make the point along the following lines: 'saw xyz's project the other day, but can't say anymore'.

Adrian,

As you are working on the Wheatcroft Firefly turret ATM do you know if they have the corrisponding hull? Or are they going to transform a standard M4 / M4A4 hull... in due time. If you are not at liberty to say; no problem.

Which brings the question:

I can understand secrecy in the vintage sports car racing circuit (because they cheat, and don't want to be found out - that IS a fact by the way), but in HMVs why:??? it's not as if you can get one over on a fellow owner... I only ask as some posters make the point along the following lines: 'saw xyz's project the other day, but can't say anymore'.

Yes, they do have the complete vehicle, Sherman Vc, we are making internals for that at the moment too.

The Wheatcroft collection is a private collection and many aquisitions take years of patient work and long winded deals to bring off. Keeping things under your hat becomes the norm. I don't think there is any secrecy as such. The collection is also not in any way set up to allow visitors. This is as much from a practical side as any other.

If there is something specific you wish to know or see, I'm happy to ask for you. I wouldn't post pics of anything without permission myself, it's a matter of courtesy.

You are right Adrian , do you need anny dimensions for the right side sponson bins? or the floor ammo bins ? if yes I can send them , I am just still looking for front and top cover patterns for battery box , and how to make new round ammo holders for in bin behind driver.

Yes please , But I haven`t counted how many go on the interior bins .(stil,haven`t asked Joop if he needs catches as wel)

What kind of front bin are you making ? there were two models , one with the flaps mounted on rods from front to rear , or from side to side.

They are all possible to make(time consuming) made out of plate and angle iron .

Did you also notice that the front bin can be dismantled on the front and rear so you can work on the brake band in front of it ? in several books they mention that on a firefly you can`t reach brake band , so this is not true.

It is the type with the diamond shaped dividers mounted on rods. The bin has a gap in the front face to allow for brake adjustment, not a modification, it was made like that. There is also a cut out in the inner side, the armour plated side, to allow for the gearbox oil filler. This is why a 15 round box only holds 14 rounds!

As for the catches, there is at least 5 on the inside bins, I still have to check on the bin behind the driver, it has 3 I think.

Yes , I have the same box ,in the stowage diagram you can see one model in the IC and the other in the VC , but I noticed on the ranges that either type was used in the IC and VC .

The Ammo bin behind the driver has a slide for 2 cal. 30 Ammo boxes , and one for 2 cal. 50 WW1 boxes ? wy 100 rounds there and these rare 50 rounds boxes in the rear right corner.

Gents,

Any more news on the Argentinean Firefly that was to be 'available soon' from Joop. Is it going to be one of one or one of a small number?

Alastair,

Why don´t you give Joop Staman a call on +31 548-61 04 32. He speaks English perfectly.

- Hanno

Yes , I have the same box ,in the stowage diagram you can see one model in the IC and the other in the VC , but I noticed on the ranges that either type was used in the IC and VC .

The Ammo bin behind the driver has a slide for 2 cal. 30 Ammo boxes , and one for 2 cal. 50 WW1 boxes ? wy 100 rounds there and these rare 50 rounds boxes in the rear right corner.

The .50 cal boxes that go there are the 'box, ammunition, M17' and not the 100 rd. box that goes on the mount. The square 50 rd box goes on the mount and I think the 100 rd boxes were just used to store .50 cal ammo to be dispensed into the 50 rd boxes as needed.

A standard Sherman has some of each too. Mine has 6 of the 50 rd and 3 of the M17 type. I have one of the 50 rd type, very hard to find!