1944 M4 High Speed Tractors

Jim Clark

Here are a few details about the M4 HSTs I have recently brought from the USA. The yellow one as you can see has been modified by a construction company, the ammunition box is missing and they have cut out the rear panel and also removed the winch. ALLISCHALMERSHST1019.jpgALLISCHALMERSHST1016.jpg Having said that it is in very good condition and quite complete The other two are very complete and original but not in such good condition.My intention is to bring in two more and from the five vehicles make three perfectly restored examples.I will Keep one and sell the other two. On the yellow one you will see grousers were fitted to aid traction in soft ground, they were a bit of a pain to remove as I could not use too much heat because of the rubber tracks. ALLISCHALMERSHST1020.jpgDSC01730.jpg Fortunatly all but a couple of the many data plates are still on the tractors which is nice as it gives the vehicle number and the date of manufacture on the plate. AMERICA009.jpg Something else I noticed on one of the HSTs is a toothed metal strip bolted to the lower front panel, I also have one on the transmission cover of my Sherman. hst003.jpghst004.jpg I have heard that when tracked vehicles were being shipped over to the UK to aid moving them around on the docks ropes were fastened to the steering tillers and then taken outside the sealed (for shipping ) vehicle and tied off on this toothed metal bar.On shermans the ropes came through the 30cal bow gun mount , not sure where they would have exited on the HST.The toothed bar has been nicknamed "the comb" by some people. Another strange thing I noticed one one of the HSTs the road wheels have grooved tyres I have not seen this before, they are all dated 1942 or 43.Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. AMERICA016.jpg There is more I can tell you if there is any interest. jim.

Edited by Jack

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another strange thing I noticed one one of the HSTs the road wheels have grooved tyres I have not seen this before, they are all dated 1942 or 43.Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

Grooved tyres are banned from next season, it's back to slicks apparently. :wink:

I could be persuaded to take them off your hands though as long as they come with the tractor.

Something else I noticed on one of the HSTs is a toothed metal strip bolted to the lower front panel, I also have one on the transmission cover of my Sherman.

I have heard that when tracked vehicles were being shipped over to the UK to aid moving them around on the docks ropes were fastened to the steering tillers and then taken outside the sealed (for shipping ) vehicle and tied off on this toothed metal bar.On shermans the ropes came through the 30cal bow gun mount , not sure where they would have exited on the HST.The toothed bar has been nicknamed "the comb" by some people.

Read the full story here: http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/comb.htm

- Hanno

amazing stuff.

I would definitely like to learn more about the restoration as it happens, so welcome further installments as and when you have time, Jim.

MB

Might be time for a trip and a front page story here Snap ??

Here we go then, as far as I know about 5,800 Allis Chalmers M4 HSTs were produced between March 1943 and August 1945 . There are two basic types they are vertually the same apart from the rear ammunition box, one is designed to carry 3in or 90mm ammunition the other 8in, 155mm or 240mm ammunition, the later also has a lifting gantry with block and tackle to aid the stowage of the heavier shells in the racks.During the coarse of production they were modified in different ways ie, front air vents,siren position,racking in the 90mm box and the spacing of the suspension units and drive sprockets to allow the fitment of duckbills on the tracks to aid traction.

Out of the three I have here two were fitted with 90mm ammo boxes the other a 240mm box. At the moment the 240mm HST is fitted with the incorrect 90mm box which I will change when its restored.

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is by the type of fuel filler pipe.On the 90mm HST the filler neck comes straight out the back.

11.jpg

and on the 240mm the filler neck is cranked to the right of the vehicle(viewing from the rear)

9.jpg

Getting back to the ones I have here all were made in 1944 and were only 520 apart off the assembly line.

5.jpg

1.jpg

Although the yellow one was modified by a construction company the rifle rack is still in the cab just above and in front of the drivers head.

3.jpg

On one of the others the winch is still covered with the remains of the greased cosmoline and the lockers in the cab and engine cover have remains of the sealant used for shipping.

7.jpg

12.jpg

As we are busy at the moment with canvas orders for the Stonleigh Militaria show I have not done any thing with them yet, but will post more pictures of the restorations as they progress.

Jim

Edited by Jim Clark

Regarding the shipping it can be a nightmare and the costs soon spiral out of control. I think when consdering shipping something from the US etc you need to do your sums right first to determine the end cost back at your home/workshop. Some stuff is cheap in the US but the transport accross the country and shipping can soon mount up. There are US state laws about load widths and weights etc each state is different and charges can vary. You also have to take into account the cost of actually going over to veiw the vehicles before purchase, flights,car hire, hotels etc, soon that bargin is not so atractive.Getting a good shipper is esential to help with all the paper work etc.

Having said that if its something rare and you want it just do it.

Jim

Jack unfortunatly the one that has the sealing on it has the speedo smashed and I cant read the mileage. When I remove the speedo and strip it i will be able to give you more info.The other with the good dash reads about 8000 miles on the clock so it has done some work.

I would like to think the one with the shipping "comb" was sent over for the war effort but I have no proof yet. Maybe as we strip them down we can gather more clues.

Jim

Edited by Jim Clark