Morris C9/B

The Morris was bought from an ad on the Milweb website and is to be put on display at the Manx Aviation & Military Museum which incorporates the Museum of the Manx Regiment, the 15th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.A.

The regiment used these SP Bofors guns from D-Day onwards.

It is currently painted in 11th Armoured Division markings but will soon be given authentic 7th Armd Div marks.

The truck was restored over 10 years ago but hasn't moved for about 7 years. Its arrival on the Isle of Man in September 2008 coincided with me having an operation on a dodgy disc in my back so I've done little other than drool over it for the last 3 months. However, the time has come for work to start.

The Morris was delivered on my mate's 7.5 tonne transporter. We didn't realise just how heavy it was! Here it's being collected from near Wellingborough.

Delivery.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't have anywhere at the museum big enough to store it but we did have a pile of curved corrugated iron sheets which had been rescued from the Electric Tram Sheds at Laxey. The addition of a few bits of 3 by 2 resulted in a splendid erection ...

It keeps the wind and rain off even though it won't win any awards for architectural merit. The floor is lined with damp-course membrane to stop the damp. A couple of fluorescent lights help to penetrate the gloom.

Truck shed 2.jpg

Truck shed 25.12.2008.jpg

Much of the stowage has been removed and this week I started to strip the brakes, which were stuck solid. A phone call to Past Parts Ltd (a company whose name I got from this forum) was answered by a very helpful guy who assured me they could fix everything. The plan is to use silicone brake fluid in the rebuild because the truck will not be doing a lot of mileage and I don't want to have to rebuild the brakes again.

The Morris is fitted with four jacks which were originally intended to provide a stable firing platform for the gun by raising the truck off its suspension. They also come in useful for getting all four wheels off the ground, although they don't quite have enough lift; I had to use a jack to raise the back axle a fraction.

The black furry object in one of the photos is not a misplaced hairpiece, but Dog, my trusty helper.

Rebuild 009.jpg

Rebuild 011.jpg

The master cylinder has been modified by the addition of a remote fluid reservoir in the engine bay which makes topping up the system very easy. The original filler was accessed through a tiny trapdoor in the floor under the pedals so the remote reservoir was a good idea. However in the interests of originality and as a result of a deep-rooted masochistic streak I'll be returning the system to its original design. At least the silicone fluid won't damage the paint if I spill it.

This morning these delightful cruddy objects were drained of fluid, parcelled up and despatched to Past Parts Ltd.

Brake parts.jpg

hi ivor,

when he was first sent over he was with a 4 inch mortar, then went on to S.P. bofors, he was definately LAA, ill find out tommorow, he s always up for a chat if you would like to ring him let me know, is the gun a good replica or not ?

regards

Another gem of a photo. It shows the crew's weather protection quite well - that's the rolled-up canvas on top of the bonnet. When unrolled it covered the cab area to shoulder level; it covered the body up to the neck but left the head exposed. They knew how to look after their boys in those days ...

Has anybody got any photos or drawings showing the layout of the canvas because I'd like to fit one?

Hi Graham. It certainly is the one. With a bit of luck it won't be a replica gun for long.

There's a nice IWM photo showing a C9/B in Korea. The caption says it belonged to 11 LAA Battery. Was your mate with them?

wot o ivor,

got in touch with my old mate bill today and i think ive written this down right,

11th SPHINX MORTAR BATTERY, 34 LAA, 14TH BRIGADE

they had 4 inch mortars and sp bofors and worked together as the bofors were not much use under 1000 yards, if the enemy broke through, the mortars could still be used

if you could post any pics you have on sp bofors in korea bill would be very grateful

thanks

Edited by HotBed

I might get my legs slapped by a moderator for posting this as it's from the Imperial War Museum site and they own the copyright. Electronic or hard copies are available from them. I've got a copy and it's a cracking photo.

BF_000374.jpg

Its reference number is BF 374. Your mate should be pleased because the caption says it's 11th (Sphinx) Light Anti-Aircraft Battery (Royal Artillery) firing at Chinese positions on Hill 327.

Hi Ivor

I restored my C9/B about 15 years ago, but just haven't been able to do much with it since. It lives in the Tank Museum at Northwood, on the Ilse of Wight. I think I met the ex owner of yours years ago when he was first rebuilding it, would his initials have been T. F.

Put by somewhere I have the No2 Key card that will have the displosal date and depot for your vehicleif you havn't got it already.

All the best with your task.

Gareth

Put by somewhere I have the No2 Key card that will have the displosal date and depot for your vehicleif you havn't got it already.

Hi Gareth,

I've been wondering what happened to your C9/B. It was indeed the mysterious-sounding TF who restored it. I'd very much appreciate a copy of the key card. I've got an enquiry at the RLC Museum at present - is that where you got yours, or the Museum of Army Transport, which held the records previously?

To answer Jack's question, I can only find four of these in existence - ours, yours, the one at Firepower and Preston Isaac's machine. Do you know of any others, or indeed any bits of C9/Bs? I could do with a few fittings.

Ivor

Hi Ivor

I am still looking for those Key cards, I had the lot photocopied from The Tank Museum, I've put them somewhere.

Gareth

Keep looking, Gareth. It's such a relief to hear the the cards exist. All I got from the Tank Museum was a copy of the contract card, which was very interesting but they said they didn't have anything else.

Our museum is doing a big "launch" of the Morris on 2nd April and it would be nice to have it marked with a proper census number before then.

Hi Ivor

Found them, I don't know if you can send personal messages on this forum and I ll scan your card and e-mail it to you. If not post the chassis number or the post war census number the XXZTXX, one.

In the meantime to while away those hours of boredom you might like to watch the you-tube presentation I have put up on the beast.

Just type C9/B in the search box you can't miss it.

Gareth

Edited by T8Hants

Hi Gareth,

I'm nearly wetting myself with excitement!

The chassis number is 2115 820.

I think you'll be able to email me through my profile page. Click on my name where it's underlined. Otherwise replace the % with a @ in this:

iramsden%talk21.com I've had to do that to avoid automatic spam harvesting programs.