scammell wiring

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i may be stupid but i have a nagging question my scammell explorer chassis no 7006 contract 3724 WO. should it have an inter-vehicle starting or slave socket, if so where should it be mounted. :???

hi gps

mine has a slave socket mounted on the front of the dirvers side

bulkhead think my chassis no is 7308 but dont hold me to it

nick

001.jpg

If i was you i would fit one in a compleatly random place just like scammell did.:idea: So long as you don't fit one on the drivers front bulkhead, passsenger foot well or drivers side rear of the cab as these positions have been used before so other people would be able to find it easly. Mabey fit it on the roof or under the floor.

Rob

The one on Andi's Explorer, is on the front offside of the bulkhead (as per post #2) , but the slave socket, isn't like the more modern version that has concentric connections, an internal female socket and an external male contact, instead it has two pins side by side. I have never seen a cable with a plug end that will connect to the Explorer slave socket, so there is little practical reason for re-fitting one, unless you are a purist, and you want your vehicle to look right, I don't think you'll ever find the right jump lead.

Edited by antarmike

If i was you i would fit one in a compleatly random place just like scammell did.:idea: So long as you don't fit one on the drivers front bulkhead, passsenger foot well or drivers side rear of the cab as these positions have been used before so other people would be able to find it easly. Mabey fit it on the roof or under the floor.

Rob

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rob

Hi - mine was in the passenger side bulk head and would play me up and loose lights.

The now lady wife was shocked when on the first rally together I handed her a hammer and told her to hit the box in front of her if the lights went out - well its easier for the passenger than trying to do it while driving :rofl:

I tried with no success to sort it.

Mine was relocated to the nearest hedge and directly wired instead. No problems :)

Two pins side by side sounds like the type fitted to the Volvo BV202 and Unimog.

Is it possible the Explorer has been fitted with one of these for some reason, or is it another type again ?

The two pin types are usually on US vehicles. I worked on some British Army Lance missile carriers and they were fitted with this type of inter-vehicle socket. There were adaptors available to plug into the end of the normal British jump lead with single pin. At a guess, I would say the Scammell with the twin pin socket, was used by a unit with some US vehicles on strength and could be used to jump start them.

I was posting from memory (and it has let me down again!), the slave socket has three pins not two, but only two are connected. I presume the socket allows a centre tap between the two batteries allowing you to draw either 12 or 24 volts.

Edit:- By way of correction, the above statement has proved to be incorrect, later posts will establish the purpose of the pins

What have other peoples Scammells got? Has anyone seen this type before.

Edited by antarmike
included in text above

slavesocket001.jpg

slavesocket002.jpg

the fitting looks totally undisturbed. there are no redundant holes in the bulkhead, the fixxing screwa are trapped by the flooring, so the flooring would have to be taken out to fit this socket. I feel this is the socket the Scammell was built with, and I do not think at the time of building, anyone knew it was destined to work alongside American vehicles.

I haven't had a meter round it yet but it looks like the larger top pin is connected to Chassis/ earth return, so the smaller insulated pins could be 12 volt and 24 volt.

Edited by antarmike

The wiring Diagram for contract 3724 appears to be showing a three pin slave socket, where the large pin is linked to one of the smaller pins,..

slavesocket3724.jpg

This is not shown on the wiring Diagram for Andi's Scammell contract 5067, so it appears that an earlier type socket was fitted, probably when built to Andi's slighly later Explorer, but it seems to me this is the original type of Socket fitted to all the first contract.

Comments welcomed.

Edited by antarmike

slavesocket5067.jpg

This is what is shown for contracts 5067, parts of 5820, 5924, and part of 6263.

The socket is clearly stylised, since the same square box with two contacts is also used to represent Aux Panel light, winch limit switch etc. I do not take this as any sort of proof that these contracts were built with a two contact Slave socket, this wiring diagram is clearly representaional, only. I suspect these contracts also should have the three pin socket....As I said Andi's is a 5067, and has a three pin socket.

Comments.

Edited by antarmike

As I say is it worth refitting the proper socket, if you can't find the plug to fit it? And if you aren't fitting the proper socket, but a modern socket of different design, I would havethought it made more sense to find somewhere to hide it out the way, because it isn't right.

Re loaction:-

For contract 3724 the socket is incorporated in the distribution board, located in the cab on the right hand side.

For contract 5067 parts of 5820 and 6263 and for 5924 the socket is located on the front right hand side of the dashboard (bulkhead) as per my photo of Andi's scammell. And in the position shown in post#2 (but i suspect that this vehicle has had the original three pin socket replaced with a later concentric type.)

For other parts of 5280, and 6263 and for 7443 and 15128, the socket is again incorporated in the distribution board which is now to be found located on the left hand side of the dashboard.

They are not just thrown at the Explorer and they end up where they stick, as a previous post has more or less suggested.

Edited by antarmike

i may be stupid but i have a nagging question my scammell explorer chassis no 7006 contract 3724 WO. should it have an inter-vehicle starting or slave socket, if so where should it be mounted. :???

Are you sure the socket isn't on the distribution board where it is supposed to be and you just havent recognised it because it isn't the concentric type you expect to see?

I am not trying to patronise you. But nobody but me has mention that a three pin version of the slave socket was being used. It might not be common knowledge.

Edited by antarmike

I was posting from memory 9and it has let me down again!), the slave socket has three pins not two, but only two are connected. I presume the socket allows a centre tap between the two batteries allowing you to draw either 12 or 24 volts.

Thanks Mike,

My posting is now irrelevant in this case, as that socket is totally different to the US socket to which I was refering to.

:tup::

This is what is shown for contracts 5067, parts of 5820, 5924, and part of 6263.

The socket is clearly stylised, since the same square box with two contacts is also used to represent Aux Panel light, winch limit switch etc. I do not take this as any sort of proof that these contracts were built with a two contact Slave socket, this wiring diagram is clearly representaional, only. I suspect these contracts also should have the three pin socket....As I said Andi's is a 5067, and has a three pin socket.

Comments.

Mike,

I have a parts book here for Contracts 5067 and 5820, it lists the Slave Battery Socket as LV6-MT3/10166. The location appears to be on drivers side of bulkhead, but unclear whether in or outside. Obviously the latter, from your photos.

Now going to the MT3 Vocab, more info is available;

SOCKET, 3-PIN

10166 Round, 1 inch pin centres, waterproof with covers.

To Drg. CIM(B)894. For Bedford slave battery carrier, Leyland,

AEC, Matador, Albion and Thornycroft, Dennis.

That is all I can find at present.