Intercom installation....

ArtistsRifles

Question

I may be stupid but...

I'm also exhibiting total ignorance here... :oops:

Intercom systems - the "Ferret Commander" topic in the "Wanted" section got me thinking.

Assuming one accquires a military vehicle that generates much cab noise (think Stalwart here) and may also at times require the co-driver to be some distance from the driver (e.g. standing in the load bed for reversing) & that does not already have the ClansMan intercom system fitted - what components inc cable types would be required to install the system allowing the use of 3 headsets/mic's in the cab plus one headset/mic at least to be plugged into a location at the rear of the vehicle. Might also be a requirement for external loudspeaker to request other's to avoid the vehicle??

I'm assuming there is a way of supplying power to the system from the vehicle as I've seens a couple of Stalwarts so equipped.

TIA

6 answers to this question

You will need:

- Interconnecting Box 3 radio (or 2 radio)

- 2 x Crew Box 2 set

- Power Lead

- Long enough 12 way cables

- Headsets, pressels, handsets etc

It's dead easy, you could buy this at any show, or on ebay.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Assuming one accquires a military vehicle that generates much cab noise (think Stalwart here) and may also at times require the co-driver to be some distance from the driver (e.g. standing in the load bed for reversing) & that does not already have the ClansMan intercom system fitted

Neil,

When I was working at REME workshops, all "A" vehicles came in dekitted, in other words all radio equipment removed, unless it was a breakdown straight off the road. Now when we went on road test, we used normal bonedome helmets with the voice actuated boom mike, but attached to the helmets on a short lead was a little tranceiver about the size of a fag packet, you could slip it in your pocket. The range for these sets has at least 200 feet as I also used them on winch testing. All I can remember about these units, they were made by Midland Electronics, may have been something made up by our Tels boys. Certainly more useful as you mate can be off the vehicle guiding you in somewhere and it will still work.

Richard

Neil,

The first box was a remote combining box, and the second item is a bit of a rip off! You should be able to buy the boxes for less than £20 each, you only need 3, and the cables aren't expensive either. I suggest you buy a vehicle before worrying about this topic!

Chris

Thats the general idea :D No intention of investing yet!!

I just have this aversion to walking into things blindly - mainly to avoid VERY severe grief of the ear-hole by SWMBO when things don't go as stated.!!!

I've been hammering the owners group over on Yahoo hard with operating and maintenance questions for the last few months to the point where I feel comfortable about what I'm getting into with a Stalwart.

And who knows - when I do get one the kit maybe fitted already - but from my point of view better safe than sorry :D:D