Battery for Bedford OY

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

A word of warning about batteries on modern vehicles,never disconect or reconect a battery without consulting the handbook.it some cases there are complicated shut down procedures,i have seen lots of fried electrics ECUs etc ,satnavs seem to be very prone to failure.Alarm systems,imobilisers,lost codes etc all add up to an expensive nightmare.and you cant do this anymore.

fusereplacement.jpg

A word of warning about batteries on modern vehicles,never disconect or reconect a battery without consulting the handbook.it some cases there are complicated shut down procedures,i have seen lots of fried electrics ECUs etc ,satnavs seem to be very prone to failure.Alarm systems,imobilisers,lost codes etc all add up to an expensive nightmare.and you cant do this anymore.

With all these modern gizmos, glad my work is on repairable classics, not the throw away vehicles of today.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
With all these modern gizmos, glad my work is on repairable classics, not the throw away vehicles of today.

You are lucky Richard ,i have spent all day fault finding on front /rear heated screens/interior lights.sunroof and rear wiper.There are no testers manuals,you have to download it all and print it from the WEB and pay £700 a year for the privilage.What do you think the owner will say when i tell him its 6 hours.Same again tomorrow on air suspension and cruise control,is it any wonder i have a theropist:nut::nut::nut:

You are lucky Richard ,i have spent all day fault finding on front /rear heated screens/interior lights.sunroof and rear wiper.There are no testers manuals,you have to download it all and print it from the WEB and pay £700 a year for the privilage.What do you think the owner will say when i tell him its 6 hours.Same again tomorrow on air suspension and cruise control,is it any wonder i have a theropist:nut::nut::nut:

You don't ned a mechanic anymore, you need a computer proggrammer. I know a case of a luxury car that did not run right from day one. Following three or four months of in and out of dealearship, a representative of the factory came and gave the verdict. 'The computer does not have the latest proggramme to diagnos the problem'.

For once Tony, I agree with you :-D.

I have always used a 644 tractor battery on my QL, think it is 90 amp/hour. No problem charging, has plenty of reserve, as Bedfords do not have fuel pump primers, it is sometimes neccessary to crank them over a bit to get the petrol up if it has been standing.

Oh tell me about that. You really do have to give it a good full pulls if she has been sitting for a while. Someone mentioned to me that sitting the battery on a rubber mat will help keep the battery maintain charge when not in use.

fusereplacement.jpg

Forunately the Bedford OY comes without such luxurys.

Oh tell me about that. You really do have to give it a good full pulls if she has been sitting for a while. Someone mentioned to me that sitting the battery on a rubber mat will help keep the battery maintain charge when not in use.

Know that feeling........must admit to operating/winding fuel up via lever on end of starter motor, and not via pull wire..........(have also reverted to introducing fuel into top of carb,.....encourages motor to fire and help pull fuel through quicker.......:) well works for me. :-D

On the rubber mat front, my battery sits on a piece of foam camping mat.

Andy

On the 'interesting' bog paper front, I use to run a youth hostel in the depths of the north york moors, (westerdale, if anyone knows it.:)) and the plumbing was of the type that it too much of the soft absorbant roll was used, it bunged up and needed a good rod.......:sweat:- not summat I looked forward to doing, y'understand............:shake:. anyways, I used to hang the good old isal on the hook,........never did have to buy soft paper whilst I was there..........:rofl: