Battery for Bedford OY

What ampage (is that the correct word) would people recommed for an OY?

OY won't it work this time? :cool2: The best answer is the most pwerful battery you can fit in the space. Minimum would be 60 amp look for a crancking power of about 550. Batteries seem to have dropped in price at the moment. Though many will scream blue murder a 'Recreational ' type battery will hold charge better over long periods. I've had no problems using one on my Dodge.

Most generators, will charge up to 25 amp. A battery is a storage vessel, if the tap is on slow it may take a long time to fill, but you will have it there. The more powerful the battery the more umph it gives to start the vehicle, so actually works less. Should the vehicle decide to be difficult, then you have more reserve to crank over.

Most generators, will charge up to 25 amp. A battery is a storage vessel, if the tap is on slow it may take a long time to fill, but you will have it there. The more powerful the battery the more umph it gives to start the vehicle, so actually works less. Should the vehicle decide to be difficult, then you have more reserve to crank over.

For once Tony, I agree with you :-D.

I have always used a 644 tractor battery on my QL, think it is 90 amp/hour. No problem charging, has plenty of reserve, as Bedfords do not have fuel pump primers, it is sometimes neccessary to crank them over a bit to get the petrol up if it has been standing.

I have always used a 644 tractor battery on my QL, think it is 90 amp/hour. No problem charging, has plenty of reserve, as Bedfords do not have fuel pump primers, it is sometimes neccessary to crank them over a bit to get the petrol up if it has been standing.

Strangely enough so do I, same type on the GMC, and you are right on the capacity Richard, varies slightly with different manufacturers between 90 and 96 amp/hr.Type 643 is similar but with opposite post layout.

:rotfl:

richard, try a 663L its a high capacity version of the 643 its rated at 110 amps just a little taller available at your local new holland dealer,

new holland have severed there links with exide and have british uk batteries manufacture for them now they have also stopped their 3 year warrenty and gone back down to 2 years :-(

regards

richard, try a 663L its a high capacity version of the 643 its rated at 110 amps just a little taller available at your local new holland dealer,

new holland have severed there links with exide and have british uk batteries manufacture for them now they have also stopped their 3 year warrenty and gone back down to 2 years :-(

Hi Graham,

Any battery higher than a 643 / 644 would short out under the drivers seat :shake::shake:, on my wagon, but thank for the info, will bear in mind for other vehicles. I used to use New Holland batts a lot, as Haynes are nearby, but the last I had from them was a Case IH, ( changed dealership) probably the same with different label :confused:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Sounds like you need electric fuel pumps,smaller battery kinder on the starter motor.:idea:

Dont give me that not original claptrap,you dont use ww2 toilet paper at Beltring,Or do you.:shocked:

Sounds like you need electric fuel pumps,smaller battery kinder on the starter motor.:idea:

Dont give me that not original claptrap,you dont use ww2 toilet paper at Beltring,Or do you.:shocked:

Next time the fuel pump is off, will convert it to one with a hand primer, have put up with it for 20 years, so might not bother :confused:

Yes, still got rolls of Bronco, for the use of :pfrt:

Non original parts include silicone HT leads and foam filled seat cushions, everything else is much as it was when it crawled up the beach on D-Day :coffee:

Richard did leave this on the side at beltring last year..

Lee,

I've been looking for that, what were you doing with it?

just noticed the Queen's soap bar in the pic. We used to get issued with one of these once a fortnight, could not get a lather and no way would it remove dirt of your hands

Edited by Richard Farrant

just noticed the Queen's soap bar in the pic. We used to get issued with one of these once a fortnight, could not get a lather and no way would it remove dirt of your hands

Looks more like an eraser to me.........no wonder you couldn't get a lather:nono::rofl:

:cool2: batterys to bog roll :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::tup:: I think it all gets a bit to serious sometimes,so you need a muppet to bring it back to basics.I miss Boris.:-D

Yeah well nothing on the box:rofl:

i am making a dvd of the round britain race now that all the film and pics are in,pat has found film of the original 1969 race,made by fords.And Guess what theres a big cloud of black smoke on this years film,i wonder who that was.also the boat that sunk from the rescue craft.Will make you a copy,that will keep you amused for a while.:-D.