Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that's too accurate robert, it don't sound like 1000rpm tickover when first started to me, more like 500 ish.........maybe it's my new high speed broadband :-D

I'll go along with that too. I reckon it's running at half the speed the rev counter shows. Most engines of that size don't normally run much over 2000 rpm. :)

The temp gauge is one of the jobs to do. It was as warm as it is going to get without a thermostat. I thought it was reading a bit high, it aparrently hit 30mph in 5th when we took it up to the house but that was recorded on a optomistic land rover speedo:rofl: I was to excited to look at the speedo in the scammell!! My mate at work has a timing light that fits onto the injector pipe and has a built in rev counter so i will have to "borrow" it and compare readings.:coffee:

Shame the temperature gauge doesn't work........... or are you revving the nuts off a cold engine.

Got a bucket to catch the pistons in..............:-D

Not too worried about the pistons coming out cos i fitted them... and the crankshaft. Is there adjustment on the revcounter of do i need to re paint the numbers:shake:

Is there adjustment on the revcounter of do i need to re paint the numbers:shake:

The rev counter needle seems to jump about a lot, think it might be faulty. Reminds me of a motorcycle I once had, that used to eat speedos, needle bearings would wear, then the aluminium cup inside on needle shaft would touch the rotating magnet and be dragged around. Assuming these FV instrument panels are the magnetic type. Is the cable free?

Yep the cable is brand new smooth to turn and routed in a sympathetic manor. I suppose i only really wanted the counter to show signs off life as alot of explorers have had the rev counter disconnected as the replacement engines don't have the required drive fitted. Anyone got a temp sender as i would like to get the whole dash working one day. I don't recall seeing one on the doner petrol engine.

• 1 month later...

Well been busy on the Scammell....Have removed a rear spring stripped it down and de rusted the leaves. All came to bits no problem bit heavy but we managed. Have now re fitted it and am on to painting the axle and walking beam.

On the subject of walking beams mine is bloody stiff i think t is taking about 2 tons of jack pressure to move it. also the bloomin bush is turning in the housing not on the axle:-( As i am not going to off road the truck i am going to let it deveope. Will try to get oil into the bush and drive through a ditch. Removing the beam with the bush as it is will be a nightmare so we will revisit this in a few years when its all gone baggy.

Some pics of rear spring and beam....... Will slop some black paint on if weather holds out. May have to call this thread upkeep of big jenny as i keep finding rust coming through work i have already done. thing is i have washed all the bloomin oil off everything so it starts to corrode but cant waxoil cos i need to finnish painting.

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

Decorating?.......... :shake: is'nt that her job? Don't suppose you have any spare wheel nuts..... a couple of mine have stripped and one has split. Not too sure about the other side yet.

So if anyone has some spare wheel nuts give me a shout.:-D

Trying to save mine til winter when it's not fit to work outside!

I'm afraid in my house I am to far down the chain of command to make decisions like that Stormin ! I don't have any spare wheel nuts I'm afraid Rob but I'm sure some one on here will sort you out ! :-D

Today i decided to turn the Scammell round so i could start work on the other spring and walking beam. As the other one was stiff i thought i would check this one before i removed the wheels.........oh dear:shake:

DSC00238.JPG

DSC00240.JPG

I drove back and forth over this log for about half a hour...... I then tried heating the offending bush:idea: and pumpig oil into it but still no joy. another half an hour back and forth with no joy.

It was at this piont i had a compleate sense of humor failure..:angry The block of wood was repositioned just behind the front wheel....And then cog number 4 was selected in gearbox. The meadows was brought up to its full 2000 rpms and the clutch was "let out rather sharpish". I then found myself sat on the gear gate with said truck heading at speed for the fence:sweat:

Having extracted scammell from fence i was noted that the walking beam had now moved. We now had 5 wheels on the ground...Doh!!:??? With some more pumping of oil and back and forthing things are freeing off nicely.

Think i must of pressed the clutch about 300 times today but on a positive note the meadows was running for about 5 hours non stop with 65 psi oil pressure and no oil leaks:yay:

DSC00243.JPG

DSC00241.JPG

DSC00242.JPG

DSC00244.JPG

While the truck was out i removed the oil pipe on the rear axle jacked up the rear wheels and sat there with it in top gear all whirring round.... no sign of oil at all.....nothing.....not a sausage so i suppose the bloomin oil pump will have to come out if this too. I'm not supprised cos nothing else has had any oil pressure on this thing. Just another job to add to the list.:iamsmiling:

Had to free off one of my walking beams too Rob. I can only say it helps to be persistent and walk away occaisonally :argh: After a couple of days trying with no success it decided to drop overnight and has been fine ever since.

Looks like you're doing a great job.

My plan is to move it as often as possible. I think the bushes are stuck on the axle and turning in the beams...However as i don't plan to off road they should be ok for a while. When they have gone baggy i will sort it out i don't fancy trying to remove the beam with the bushes siezed to the axle.