Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll get someone to show me some time. found the youtube thingy with the two youtubes but can't find the tags to copy. :computerrage:
When you are looking at the video on Youtube there is a tag in your search bar that starts with http: the part at the end , after , but not including the = is the bit you copy mate !

:-D

Something went wrong...Here you go... Note the lack of stinky horrible Rolls Royce smoke!!! not bad for a 59 year old Meadows.... Mind the tree.. and yes it did stop moving before i got it into 4th. Might think about sorting the cluch brake......nah.... thats for girls!

Just wipped the gearbox oil pump out and sorted the valve so we should have oil pressure in reverse now. i think the next major job is to remove the rear springs and strip them down as all the leaves have swolen up blowing all the spring clamps.:eek:

I'm supprised someone has not grumbled about the ground anker on the front of my Scammell!! The winch should only be used for self recovery out of the front. The owner before the man I bought it off fitted this and used it to recover buldozers that bogged down on the local land fill site. Having had a close look at the winch this scammell has done some serious winching and had a major smushing of the pressure rollers.:shake: The whole winch looks as if it has distorted in the chassis as it rubbs on the springs that work the over load cut out and pressure rollers. It still works ok. the rope has been snapped and shortened. and there are huge ware grooves in the front fairleads. Also the groung anker (why can't i spell anker i work in a bloody boat yard!!) has been broken in two at some point!! All this abuse and there is no sign of the chassis twisting.

There also appears to be fixings on the rear of the chassis for an even larger ground anker...Ankor.... ancker... DOH!! I was thinking of removing it iut have grown to like it in a mad max sort of way, and whoever welded it on made a corking job of it. plus it makes removing the engine easy as you can just jack up under the bottom of it. There are two extra cross members welded in the front. I asked if it hamperd off road performance but he said it just plouged on through clearing a path for the front diff..Ok unless it hits a rock. Plus you'll remember my Scammell when you see it!!!

DSCF0984.jpg

Gearbox pump is now back in and working in both directions:-D So i then decided to have another go at bleeding the engine oil filters as no air came out the first time and someone has changed the bleed screws for normal bolts. Also she takes a little too long to pick up oil pressure as if it has to squeeze an air lock. So with the engine ticking over the screw was slackened and oil seeped out. The book says to remove them and alow oil free of air to escape. At this point my brain was saying "wait for Jenny to come home just in case..." But in true Homer Simpson style.... Nah it'll be fine i've done it before "Yes but there was no oil pressure" I'll just tilt it and the screw it back in " Go on then bozo i'm out of here:n00b:" Oh goodnes me!! holy crap!! Crap crap!!! Gush..Squirt.... hemerage amundo.. Where is the bloomin stop leaver.... on the other flipping side of the engine!!!:shake:

Some gallons later and with a pair of nicely waterproofed boots one oil filter was air free. I shall do the other one tomorrow with help from Jenny on the stop leaver. Oil pressure now comes up much quicker.

Something went wrong... Well the new cable fits!! Can't have a non functioning rev counter in a scammell with a diesel engine can we?:cool2: The meadows hand book says it is a new high speed diesel engine.... Not sure if it's suppose it be that high reving!!:shocked: Me thinks it may have a fair turn of speed flat out!!! Mind you with only 130hp i don't think it will see full revs very often. Could always drive in round in 5th all the time...:idea:

Something went wrong... Well the new cable fits!! Can't have a non functioning rev counter in a scammell with a diesel engine can we?:cool2: The meadows hand book says it is a new high speed diesel engine.... Not sure if it's suppose it be that high reving!!:shocked: Me thinks it may have a fair turn of speed flat out!!! Mind you with only 130hp i don't think it will see full revs very often. Could always drive in round in 5th all the time...:idea:

Shame the temperature gauge doesn't work........... or are you revving the nuts off a cold engine.

Got a bucket to catch the pistons in..............:-D