What have you been flying in?

Lewis Garner

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Have not been on many but the flight i remember the best was my first flight,i had to fly to the isle of skye to work on,of all things a s11a ex mil ambulance,ugh.The first bit was on a one eleven ,i was impressed with the aceleration and short take off.

I changed to a Norman Britain Highlander at Glasgow.The sky was Blue with snow on all the high peaks,i even recognised some of the tracks we had travelled in the Landrover.The view of the island as we circled and the bumpy landing. made it unforgetable for a first flight.i know ,why go all that way to work on a Landrover.

Well she wore very long boots.:cool2::cool2::sweat:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know ,why go all that way to work on a Landrover.

Well she wore very long boots.:cool2::cool2::sweat:

Ah I recollect a photo of your S1 and her ambulance in a post recently.

As my grandfather used to say, "it will draw you further than gunpowder will blow you"...............I'm sure you get my drift :-D:-D:-D

Ah I recollect a photo of your S1 and her ambulance in a post recently.

As my grandfather used to say, "it will draw you further than gunpowder will blow you"...............I'm sure you get my drift :-D:-D:-D

Thats the one,got more pics in the loft,:cool2: think one is of the boots.:-D

It's not the boots we want to see the pic of.........:cool2:

She is wearing them,its late getting excited,you wont sleep.:nono:

If Pat sees it neither will you in any comfort:rofl:

Pat has met the lady in Question,now it gets interesting:-D:-D:-D

Yes a few pilots are members with a few more on the sidelines.

Aircraft I have owned. Chipmunk, Tiger Moth, Piper L4 Cub, Stinson 108 Voyager & Druine Turbulent. As for Austers the AOP 9 can drop a wing on landing (Just what you need on a short strip) early Austers are better unless you are tall because eye level is down the wing root. I am looking at an Auster 5 to fill in the gaps between customer projects.

Alan

Adrian My day job is mostly wood & fabric aircraft so if I can be of any help please don't hesitate to give me a call. My full contact details are on the LAA inspectors page for HP23. What engine do you have for the Auster.

Alan Turney

Forgot a couple of Islanders, one at JSPC Netheravon for my parachute course, the other at JSPC Bad Lippspringe near Paderborn, whence I was posted (Paderborn, not the JSPC) immediately after the parachute course.

Netheravon had a Dragon or a Rapide in the hangar which the sports parachutists preferred over the Islander because it was so slow they could all get out close together. But it VOR during our course.

Mostly whirly-birds.

Bell Jetranger

Chinnock

Augusta 109

Scout

Lynx

Hughes 500

Flown many times in a Herc - landed at Sennalager training area in the dark where the pilot nearly got it very wrong. Frightened the pants off me. I was the only one on board as the squadron lads had parachuted out as part of an exercise.

Flown RAF Tri-Star - very civilised.

Markheliops

Alan, thanks for the offer, we have to learn fabric covering soon!

We are doing the engine at the moment, it is the Lycoming O-290-3. We have two and so far have not had to buy many parts, not that they are easy to find! Some parts are the same as O-320 but a lot of it is special and long out of production.

Where are you based, Booker?

Based at Booker with a workshop at home big enough for a wing or fuselage. I have just finished painting (1 Hour ago) the second wing of a Chipmunk I have put new fabric on but i still have the elevators to do, you are welcome to come and see how to not make too much of mess of things. Have you flown an Auster before? Aircraft engineering is mostly the use of smaller hammers and the use of language such as How the F*** did they do that up.

Alan

Alan, might well take you up on that. I have not yet flown an Auster, I am in a group, we were flying a Citabria and now we fly an RV9 that we finished last year. I have just over 200 hrs most of which is tailwheel and farm strip. There are three of us in the Auster group, Andrew has CPL, IR and FIR with over 2500hrs and like many of his generation (!) learnt in Austers.

He has described their foibles in great detail! He also remembers the Lycoming being very noisy so we have gone for silencers.

Even an Auster should be called an aeroplane. The last Auster type in my logbook is an A61 Terrier, Great fun to fly! On the landing just as it stops flying both hands had to heave the stick back and keep it back or the dreaded Terrier Trots would make life very exciting. The only aircraft that I have found more exciting (adrenalin inducing) is the single seat Pitts S1. Yes I do like to fly with the green stuff above me.

Alan

Had some great flights with Adrian over East Anglia aboard the groups Citabria before they moved on to new aircraft projects.

Maurice Hammond's WWII Auster

Maurice Hammond's 1945 P-51 D

Collings Foundations 4231909 B-17 G

Liberty Foundations 4297849 B-17 G

Ken Wakefield's Piper Cub L-4

Unknown owner Piper Cub L-4

Ken Broomfield's Tiger Moth - One week before the crash!

And very, very nearly a Lockeed Constallation in 1997 (but not quite!)

RAF Lyneham's C-130 Flight Simulator

Numerous other aluminium cylinders that fly at 35,000 feet1