Engine Trials.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electrolysis,if you look you can see a pink tinge in the holes dead giveaway.Last year our house got hit by lightening,it came down a metal vent pipe from the roof then jumped across to the water main,the copper was all pink and it had a hole in it,Buggered the tele,and the modem.:argh:

Buggered the tele,and the modem.:argh:[/quotejob it didn't touch you then:rofl:

Might of done me some good:rofl:

IOWSteamRly001.jpg

Back on topic.this is what they should look like.:cool2:

Cat, is that a pair from your boat, and if so I assume you effectively run one in reverse:confused:. As far as I know, multi engined 'planes all have props turning in the same direction, but I am not familiar with boats.

Or,:idea: do you have to do a quick prop change every time you want to go astern?

Cat, is that a pair from your boat, and if so I assume you effectively run one in reverse:confused:. As far as I know, multi engined 'planes all have props turning in the same direction, but I am not familiar with boats.

Or,:idea: do you have to do a quick prop change every time you want to go astern?

Hi Mike,The props are handed ,this offsets the tendancy to go round in circles.This meens that one g/box runs in reverse.Sometimes there is a slight gearing difference so the props have to be made taking that in account.A lot of the ww2 boats were not handed,this made coming along side more difficult.I must double check but i dont think E boats had a reverse.cw.

Wow

Nice pair :cool2:

Do they only need one keyway to lock them to the shafts ?

Wow

Nice pair :cool2:

Do they only need one keyway to lock them to the shafts ?

They are on tapered shafts,the key way really doesnt do a lot if the taper is correct,It does help to stop from spinning if they come loose.i have had that happen.You have to use grinding paste to lap them to the shaft.If all is correct it is dam near impossible to pull them off,The same on the crankshaft front pulley.It took a 100 ton puller ,heat and a lead hammer,lots of sweat and cursing to get that off.:argh:

Hi Mike,The props are handed ,this offsets the tendancy to go round in circles.This meens that one g/box runs in reverse.Sometimes there is a slight gearing difference so the props have to be made taking that in account.A lot of the ww2 boats were not handed,this made coming along side more difficult.I must double check but i dont think E boats had a reverse.cw.

:tup::

Hi David,we do use two very large anodes,they are different for fresh or salt water exactly what mix of metals for which application i am not sure ,but we do have the correct ones.Ours are about £80 each expensive for what they are.

On our boat we have zincs on the prop shaft and all metal is bonded.

When in moorage for a while we toss a bonded large plate zinc off the stern to hang in the water to provide additional surface area. In most moorages it stays a dull color, but in some moorages it is bright and crystally (sp?) looking when we haul up... We find this in moorages with live-aboards. Likely bad wiring practices as described earlier. Time to move on.

Hi Dude i did think of chucking the old ones over board for a bit of better protection.

Liv-aboards,we call them soap dodgers:-Dthanks for imput.cw.