6 wheeler

Guest shane taylor

Question

Guest shane taylor

I maybe stupid, but......

Why is a Diamond T wrecker ( for example) called a 6 wheeler when in actual fact it has 10!!

Yours confused.

ST

15 answers to this question

Hi Shane,

11 if you include the spare!!!!!!! I suppose people say this because they just don't bother to include the double wheels. Anyway it would probably sound a bit odd if you said to someone 'look at that ten-wheeler truck over there.' Most people would probably think you were very drunk or having hallucinations! :lol: I think thats probably why.

Cheers, Mick

I maybe stupid, but......

Why is a Diamond T wrecker ( for example) called a 6 wheeler when in actual fact it has 10!!

Yours confused.

ST

Shane,

It is normal to just count the hubs on a lorry, although trailers are often described by the actual amount of wheels. A DT wrecker is six wheeldrive and thus described as 6x6, 6 wheels/hubs in total and 6 driven, it would be confusing to call it a 10x10 as that would sound like it had 5 axles.

Heres one to think about, a two wheel drive lorry with twin wheels on the rear, six in total, normal to call it a 4x2, counting all the wheels would make it a 6x4. Not worth the confusion that is why twin wheels are counted as one. :)

Richard

Hello All.

I suppose it is easier to think as each set of wheels as a wheel station.

If you were to have 6x6, 1st number normally means it is a 6 wheeler (3 axles) and all 6 are driven. Easy.

Then you can get a 6x4 which again 6 wheel stations but normally back 4 driven, like the tippers you see going around. Still easy. But they can also be tractor units with double drive for heavy haulage or onsite use where traction is needed.

Then there's your 6x2 which is what I have got for transporting my fv432 about. Now it can get confusing. Mine is a 6 wheeler tractor unit with rear axle drive and the front 2 axles are steered, but the 2nd axle is in front of the drive axle. Often refered to as a twin steer, unlike the 6x2 which can be 1st axle steered, 2nd axle driven and 3rd axke can be either trailing, lifted or steered.

And all that before you even think about including steel suspension, air suspension combinations. chinese sixes, midlifts and tags.

Hope thats confused you even more and thats not mentioning trailers.

Dougy

I assume you mean the Bedford VAL, I've driven a few of those, both coaches and trucks, not a great success for Bedford but at least they had power steering which is more than can be said for an AEC chinese six I drove in the sixties. What a pig that was :!: :lol: I suppose they would be classed as a 6x2 but this could be rather confusing as usually a6x2 would have 2 rear axles but with only the leading axle driven.

Over here in the US, we call tractor trailer combos an 18 wheeler as it has the ten wheels from the tractor and eight wheels from the trailer on the ground. At the same time, not all tractor-trailers have the same amount of tires, it is just common to call them an 18 wheeler, or a 'Big Rig'.

Not worth the confusion that is why twin wheels are counted as one.

From dim and distant memory, my instructor at Leconfield explained that if the vertical centreline of the two wheels on the same hub is 18" or less, then they are considered to be one wheel.

As to why, no idea. Perhaps an industry professional might explain?