What MV, Aero or Marine engine is most impressive?

gritineye

Oh the Binelli what a sound. There was one bike that for it's size was a real screamer and that was the 50cc Krydler or Kridler, a rarety but in the early (very) 60's was the fastest 50cc bike. Sorry Richard I don't have any bike recordings only the memories. Must check out the sounds on 'tinternet'.

Phil.

You mean Kreidler.

Still sometimes I see those in the Netherlands.

In the 80's (50CC) Kreidlers and Zundapp's were quite common over here.

(My Dad still has the Zundapp KS 50 he bought in 1977.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreidler

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The V1 used a pulse jet and fired in a series of pulses. It had one moving part, the inlet valve assembly. The ram jet has no moving parts and fires continuously but requires a high speed to run at all.

The pulse jet or Schmidt engine is also unsustainable below about 190mph, the starting procedure being to force air through the inlet shutters on the launch ramp, warm the engine for about 7 seconds then blast it up the launch ramp by combining potassium permanganate with hydrogen peroxide to produce superheated steam. By the top of the ramp the device was travelling at about 250mph and would fly until either the air log initiated a steep dive, the petrol ran out, the inlet shutters burned out or it was shot down by AA gunners or fighters.

Edited by radiomike7

A Merlin sounds so great at a fly past.

On the land the 12V71 of a Detroit Diesel under power has an amassing effect on the human body. That is even with some silencers fitted. Detroit Diesels were regularly used here in New Zealand as truck engines. Mainly six cylinder blocks, with some eights. Both as in line or as a V configuration. A standard factory option here for the Scammell Crusader was Detroit Diesel delivered new.

Also about in American made machinery.

Last year a 12V71 was rebuilt at a local workshop being overhauled from a logging winching unit. At the trial fire up the sound was heard easily a kilometre away or two!

Like wise much of the army vehicles of the NZ Defence Force , in common with the Australia Army, was Detroit powered, for that period.( 1970-80's)

Detroit Diesels are now becoming collectable items in their own right.

" A GM Diesel is the way to turn diesel fuel to noise."

Doug

• 3 months later...

An engine that is hypnotic to hear and watch running is the 90 hp? single cylinder horizontal diesel that was taken out of a pumping station. I can't find a picture of it any where. I think it was built in the 1920's and now travels around the vintage vehicle shows. It is so big, it is mounted on a low loader trailer and has a curtain sider body fitted around it.

I last saw it at the South of England Showground a few years ago.

Does anyone have a picture of this engine they could post up please. :)

An engine that is hypnotic to hear and watch running is the 90 hp? single cylinder horizontal diesel that was taken out of a pumping station. I can't find a picture of it any where. I think it was built in the 1920's and now travels around the vintage vehicle shows. It is so big, it is mounted on a low loader trailer and has a curtain sider body fitted around it.

I last saw it at the South of England Showground a few years ago.

Does anyone have a picture of this engine they could post up please. :)

Not thinking of this one Will?? http://ccmv.fotopic.net/p42756635.html

It has a a single cylinder engine and a compressor to start it inside the body.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
:confused: Maybe McLaren-Ricardo going by the fabricated crankcase and rocker cover/pipe detail.

Don't keep us in suspense please!

Just a good old Lister Blackstone :-D

The 27 lt RR meteor that is fitted to the Centurion tanks and the Mighty antar The sound is awsome. Not a big engine but the Land Rover V8 is just as impressive.

The Antar did not have a 27 litre Merlin. It had a V8 Rover.

The engine was called the meteorite and was effectively 8 cylinders cut off a Merlin, but it was a Rover Product not Rolls Royce.

Rolls and Rover did a technology exchange, Rover giving away its knowledge on gas Turbines and gaining rights to build the Merlin and its road going variants, the Meter and the meteorite.

And the V8 fitted to the Land-Rover is (was) actually a Buick....

Areo engines are usually the most pleasing on the high because of the very high standards to which they are designed and constructed. A personal favourite is the Napier Nomad. A diesel aero engine. Tee hee.

2002Wroughton23.jpg

Not an aero engine but from the same builder of wonderful engines the Deltic. An air cooled Porker flat six or a Ducati 888 has nothing on the noise one of these makes.

pu_doncaster_works_31.10.80_bp.jpg

And a much earlier effort. The somewhat oddly named Cub.

NapierCub-600x565.jpg

Of course RR built some beautiful engines as did many others but there is something which appeals about Napier's efforts.