What MV, Aero or Marine engine is most impressive?

gritineye

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing that happens with the radial in the hellcat is it gets soo hot it vapourises the petrol an obviously and engine with no petrol don't go far.

but it is an awesome engine ticks over at somthing like 10,000 rpm

It's an air cooled engine so the engine bay gets very hot. With modern petrol, it can be a problem.

It will tick over at 500 rpm but that fries the master rod bearing so minimum rpm should be 750 or 1100 for long periods. It wont go as fast as 10,000 rpm I'm afraid!

Have some engine pics from the Zagreb technical museum.

The small one is a Wankel engine.

The white one is a 2 stroke opposed cylinder Deltic.

Th last one is a Cantieri Navali Riuniti engine.

These aren'y military, but the piqued my engineering interest.

DSCF4975.jpg

DSCF4972.jpg

DSCF4973.jpg

DSCF4977.jpg

DSCF4998.jpg

Edited by Lauren Child
typo

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Good idea Bernard ,

Heres a couple we nearly bought a few years ago.

PDKING0041-2.jpg

PDKING0042-2.jpg

PDKING0036-2.jpg

PDKING0040-3.jpg

PDKING0037-2.jpg

PDKING0039-3.jpg

£10.000 the lot.

Have a video of the inspection we did on this boat ,will sort some out for HMVFtv.

I was only joking about the Lister D, really didn't expect anyone to take it seriously.....

We came across them in Africa being used as emergency generators at diplomatic residences,we sometimes camped in the grounds,believe me the novalty soon wears off.:???

After a technical problem with a link, I will try again :(

Not neccesarily the most impressive engines, but the sound of a Detroit is when under load.

Two of my favourites on Youtube, GMC Brigadiers, powered by DD...........turn the sound up :-D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dVjXwS8HzFw

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=klRq8D97S8c&feature=related

Sounds like the Gamma Goat,the Foden ,and TS3.Not surprising as there all two strokes.I rebuilt a foden ,turbo and supercharged,reved kike a kawasaki.used in some naval craft,some landing craft had them dont know what model.

One of the best engines ever built to suit a particular purpose was the AEC 7.7 used in the Matador. It was designed to have an even torque band right across the rev range to suit the constant stop start usage in London buses. A local crane operator has a Mat (ex Southdown) still working for its keep and still running on it's original engine after 67 years!

One not mentioned so far has to be a steam engine under load, something about that.

As we are so far off topic now and nobody's got into Jake brakes yet, here's one especially for you Jack, turn up them speakers and enjoy!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4P0wgjpoQDw

and if that ain't enough

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DH2WjAIoN8A

Jeeeeez not enough yet? speaker cones not flapping in the breeze yet?

try this LOUD

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2Omj6zxtIB0

Napier made some great engines. How about their Sabre: 24-cylinder, H layout, sleeve-valve, 36-litre, 3,500 HP

Absolutely what a massive solid chunk of precision engineerd components, with all of that complex sleeve valve drive train.

Another contender has to the Bristol Pegasus. All of the Roy Fedden designed sleeve valve Bristol Radials are things of beauty. One needs to look at a sectioned example to see the superb machining of the cooling fins and the Swiss watch like construction. P&Ws are so crude by comparison.

One of the best engines ever built to suit a particular purpose was the AEC 7.7 used in the Matador. It was designed to have an even torque band right across the rev range to suit the constant stop start usage in London buses. A local crane operator has a Mat (ex Southdown) still working for its keep and still running on it's original engine after 67 years!

Unlike the more spectacular engines we have heard so far, it also has the ability to go about it's business without compromising it's position by being heard for 10 miles away, just quietly capable, good one Degsy :thumbsup:

I was only joking about the Lister D, really didn't expect anyone to take it seriously.....

I'll give you a serious contender, The Rolls Royce (Bristol) Pagasus, that powers the Harrier and in is latest form which offers 15% more thrust.

If suggest this for no other reason than its truly original design, that sets it apart from other jet engines.

pegasus.jpg

Unlike the more spectacular engines we have heard so far, it also has the ability to go about it's business without compromising it's position by being heard for 10 miles away, just quietly capable, good one Degsy :thumbsup:

But the 7.7 would have been even better if it had oil filtration as does the bigger brothers 9.6/11.3....

The 7.7 incidentally has a capacity of 7.58 litres so it ought to be called the AEC 7.6

A design specification was laid down to get the required power from a 7.7 engine, but someone c0cked up the cylinder diameter on the drawing board and the result was 7.58 not 7.7. By this stage the error was realised engine development had resulted in a test bed prototype engine block having been cast. The design team couldn't face telling the chief designer they had got the bore size wrong, and built and tested the engine regardless. It managed to acieve the desired output despite its undersized bores, so they decided not to tell the senior design engineer, but put it into production in its undersized form, and repudetdly, it was some years until he found out, (and he forgave them all). By then the name 7.7 had already been applied to keep the mistake hidden from view, and when the truth came out it was too late to change it.

Had they used the diameter he had told them they would have got 96.5 BHP from the engine instead of the 95 they acieved, and as Freshco says "every little helps...."

I seem to remember the problem was worse than this. The casting for the prototype block had been made smaller capacity than the 7.58 they managed to get out of it. It was designed for a lot less than this, and the block was bored out far bigger than intended, leaving far less walls than planned but still they only dared to take it to 7.58 Litres. The casting patterns were changed for production engines to leave a stronger cylinder wall, but still at 7.58 litres. It was a serious b7lls-up

Edited by antarmike
additional technical information.

listerD.jpg

Beautiful.....

and before any one tells me I know there is technically no such thing as Centrifugal force rather it is a lack of Centripetal force, but I am keeping things simple...

Mike, Whoever painted the arrow on the flywheel was having a problem with those forces, as that arrow is trying to go a bit tangential I think :-D

Mike, Whoever painted the arrow on the flywheel was having a problem with those forces, as that arrow is trying to go a bit tangential I think :-D

You would have thought that the D should be the other way across the trolley so the wheels were facing away from the belt tension. Like that you will have to stake the engine down, Is there a reason why it wouldn't hold itself unstaked if the wheel axis was at 90 degrees to the belt tension?