What MV, Aero or Marine engine is most impressive?

gritineye

I can't think what brought this train of thought on, but for me right now it has to be this:

diston.jpg

I know it should have been the Scammell/Meadows 6PC 630 and I feel like a traitor, but this thread is about your thoughts on what built in features and ideas made a good engine fit for it's intended purpose at the time it was made.

My other choice would have been this Allison just for it's looks

Allisontwobankssupercharged.jpg

Size isn't everything, maybe the Chore horse inspires you, fit for purpose is more important

Edited by gritineye

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MOST impressive looking and sounding engine just has to be 27 cylinder Wright Cyclone triple turbo charged engine in a Super Connie. To see and hear one of these start up with backfires that put a Howitzer to shame. Flames licking across the wing like napalm and neat fuel dripping out of the bottom rows of exhaust stubs as it slowly cranks over is AWSOME. Stick four of them together............ I have stood 20 feet from them. I couldn't hear properly for 2 days!! Apparently when Pan Am operated Super Connies the stewardesses told passengers on night flights to ignore the blue flames coming from the exhaust on take off boost.

Next to that sound is the V16 BRM engine. 1.5 litre supercharged and 500 plus BHP. Oh yes and a Kieth Black Chrysler running Nitro.

I feel sorry for kids nowadays. They have missed all this. A Vauxhall Astra with a big bore exhaust is heaven to them. Oh you poor poor children. Oh what you have missed.

Phil.

I d have thought near the top of the list would be the RR Merlin engine in full song during a low pass at an air show or better still at the Air races in Nevada , be it in a Spitfire or a P51 Mustang .

While a trio of Packards in a PT boat at high speed would also be very impressive.

How about the Napier Deltic? 18 cylinders, 36 pistons, 3 cranks with one running in the opposite direction to the other two, 2 stroke and scavenge blown. Smoked worse than a steam loco if left idling for too long and prone to exhaust fires, but had a sound all of it's own.

The MOST impressive looking and sounding engine just has to be 27 cylinder Wright Cyclone triple turbo charged engine in a Super Connie.Phil.

Agree with that one Phil, the Connie is one of my favorite planes, along with the Princess flying boat that passed very low and slow over my house when I was kid.

A customer of mine has this original painting by Frank Wooton, it hangs in the shower room :confused: and yes it is deteriorating badly :argh: and just look at that car!

DSCF5622.jpg

Is that not the Wasp Major, with 28 cylinders?

Correct as usual Mike, my mistake, I must be a bit fickle, I may be changing my mind after watching this, HEADPHONES on LOUD!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qpmOb46bvCs

And the Wright Cyclone R-3350:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ZDwC3Nhng

OHHH........ my ears

Edited by gritineye

I`d vote for the lancaster any day, Second to that would be a Cent ARV towing uphill on the governor. Either of these will make what little hair i have left stand on end.

Dave Griffin

Diamond T 981

Land Rover 101

That radial engine in the trailer - I always thought that running one without a prop would be a bit like running an engine without a flywheel, guess a prop would smooth it out a bit :??? Does the tank application engine have a flywheel or equivalent?

Lister D type - yes Mike, especially in a concrete mixer, a great rythm to shovel to but annoying when it conks out with a load in the hole....:sweat:

For me, although not military, anything with 5 cylinders on tick-over - such a wonderfuly 'not-quite-even' beat. Had a Gardner 5LW in the workshop for a while but had to put it out of reach as every time I walked past I had to press the starter and listen to it. Was wasting 15 minutes a day!!