Churchill Gallery

antarmike

Hi,

could you tell me more about this picture? Where did it come from for instance as my gramps thinks this is his tank and these are his guys (he drove), he could actually be the driver.

They are tanks from A & B Squadrons 43Bn RTR 33 Brigade in October 1942. Type in IWM Search our Collections, then Churchill tank. There pages and pages of them but have a look at H214817 which is your photo and TR219, they are in colour as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Folks

Here is a few pics of a Churchill that I located and uncovered two years ago. It was laid alongside a slab sided Sherman which we recovered, we removed the churchills turret before covering it back up.

Rob................................rnixartillery.

Hi, I was wondering where did you find this churchill?

• 2 weeks later...
They do look pretty mean without guards don`t they Lauren. Have read a couple Churchill books but not that one, will look out for it.

Yup, but it's also right for an "in-use" vehicle. The blast from the 75mm firing would damage them when firing, so most of the wartime photos you'll see have had one or both of them blown off or removed.

HI All

Here is a link from the Australian War Memorial Archives of direct Sherman vs Churchill tank trials to examine the differences in performance for operation in the SW Pacific Theater. This link was posted by Mike a very knowledgeable and frequent contributor to MLU. There is much discussion of tracks and one of the Sherman's in the test has a type of track I have not seen before.

Cheers Phil

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/F07352/

ok you got me on that one ! there is no need for the Churchill's heavy armour when fighting the japs and the shermans maintenance requirements are a little less than the churchills ! which in the jungle is an important logistical consideration.

another factor to consider is the churchill is probably too manly a tank for the aussies, so best for them to stick to the little tanks like Shermans and such and leave the big stuff to the real men :coffee:

• 2 months later...

I had never thought about it before but looking at Lauren's picture makes me think that the breach end of the 3" howitzer couldn't have left much room in the hull gunner's position for a hull gunner. Did they even have a crew member beside the driver or did the turret crew man the howitzer? Presumably the amunition was stowed in the sponson next to the gun ?

David

I had never thought about it before but looking at Lauren's picture makes me think that the breach end of the 3" howitzer couldn't have left much room in the hull gunner's position for a hull gunner. Did they even have a crew member beside the driver or did the turret crew man the howitzer? Presumably the amunition was stowed in the sponson next to the gun ?

David

Here's the left side picture internally, it's the Besa version and doesn't show the gun, but you can see the distance between the compartment front and the chair. Not much room for a howitzer breach.

Ammunition was stored on its side where the Besa boxes (73 on the diagram) are shown.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452814435.038608.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ok you got me on that one ! there is no need for the Churchill's heavy armour when fighting the japs and the shermans maintenance requirements are a little less than the churchills ! which in the jungle is an important logistical consideration.

another factor to consider is the churchill is probably too manly a tank for the aussies, so best for them to stick to the little tanks like Shermans and such and leave the big stuff to the real men :coffee:

Rick, at the end of the trials the Churchill tank was preferred over the Sherman with some 510 tanks ordered.

The order was cancelled due to the end of the war not before 51Churchill tanks were delivered to Australia(the six trial tanks and 45 production tanks).

More details here

http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/australianshermansph_4.htm

What were you saying about real men?:-X