Churchill Gallery

antarmike

I think it is T32092 (all Mk1-2 Churchill are five number serials) a Harland Wolfe built Churchill -the A/T ice berge is well hidden but no doubt disaster will soon strike:D.

I think you are right. I was going by the file name and thus ran aground. Should have checked my bearings. Going down into the holds now to see if I sprung a leak ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice shots Hanno, I especially like the third one down, the Churchill on the left has, Churchill, Sherman and Panther track on it, must have been paranoid about those 88's around every corner! As I think has been mentioned before, Churchills do look to some extent fearsome with the front track guards missing.

Why the top covers over the drivers vision port on all the photos? Surely in action they would be shut anyway, perhaps worried about air bursts whilst no 'in the line'.

Edited by ajmac

The drivers observation port was perceived as a weakness in all marks note in these photos the piece of track on the drivers side was pulled up out of action -interesting detail.

Thanks Steve, So in action they drapped the track over the closed port.... all make more sense now.

eddy8men

......and when mines up and running i'll put spare track on it in the same fashion as they were in combat it will also have the added bonus of hiding my rough arse repairs :-D

Glad to hear you're thinking ahead, if things get desparate you could always get a batch of applique armour made like the AVRE in the Ist photo.

Steve

Sometimes a single link was attached to the top edge of the visor plate to give additional protection to the periscope stalk. In all modified and later marks the presicope mounting stalk was extended (as can be seen in this photo) with a horseshoe of plate around the top and a filer plate where the original aperture would have been.

This was a weakness as the periscopes were more vulnerable to a strike porbably cause alot of grief inside the hull:shocked:.

Steve

OTA#1-7.jpg

thanks for posting the pics, the churchill will always be my favourite tank and when mines up and running i'll put spare track on it in the same fashion as they were in combat it will also have the added bonus of hiding my rough arse repairs :D

eddy

Spare track.... you've got to find sufficient for it to run on first !

Sorry Rick could not resist that oportunity !

don't worry john i have a cunning plan involving a military range, an old churchill and a tracked recovery vehicle preferably with a winch and a crane, do you know of any that might be available :cool2:

eddy

Oh S..T I forgot about that, it's still up in Melvyns yard in Heywood, Must bring it back over Christmas. Prefferably the first shopping day after Christmas to create some havoc with the traffic at the front of our house !

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you mcspool for the link to the collection I have not looked through all of the photo's yet but thought I d post one of the collection . With all the talk of HS and the dangers of growing up , how times have changed , Just imagine this being left for people to touch and explore !

img7109

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A gem Hanno, those Centurions in the back ground really make the Churchills look antiquated. So could one presume that these were owned by the Iraqi army back in 1957 or are they still in UK use in the photo? It ties up with the photos that surfaced during the second gulf war of at least one Churchill on a plinth that had been hit a number of times, presumably in error.

So could one presume that these were owned by the Iraqi army back in 1957 or are they still in UK use in the photo? It ties up with the photos that surfaced during the second gulf war of at least one Churchill on a plinth that had been hit a number of times, presumably in error.

They were definitely owned by the Iraqi army, see http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?22218 for pictures of Dodge Power Wagons, Land Rovers, Chevrolet CMP gun tractors, M24 Chaffee, Centurion and Churchill tanks, Ferrets, etc.

This is no surprise as Iraq was founded by Great Britain in 1920 and Iraq remained a satellite of Britain for the next three decades, with the British retaining military bases and training the Iraqi Army (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_%E2%80%93_United_Kingdom_relations)

Edited by mcspool
added context

ajmac

those Centurions in the back ground really make the Churchills look antiquated. So could one presume that these were owned by the Iraqi army back in 1957 or are they still in UK use in the photo?

The Iraqi received 12 Cent Mk7 in 1956 10 financed by US offshore military aid along with the M24 chaffees- King Feisal received a further 2 Cents as a gift from HMG -similarly 12 Churchills in service in Iraq were a gift of the HMG. In 1957 Iraq received a further 40 Cents making enough for a full rgt or more likely a light regiment and reserves.

Although the Churchill look antiquated it is likely until the full complement of Cents arrived in 1957 and training was complete the Churchills were used as pure infantry tanks as the Iraqis were still probably in a WW2 time warp, the Churchill Mk7 was the last infantry tank.

The Cents remained in service until the mid to late 1960s when spares and some runners were transfer to Jordan. They would be in poor condition as in late 1961 the Iraqis decided to invade/threaten Kuwait leading to the British re-enforcing the kuwaiti army with Centurion and later Chieftain and kept British forces in Kuwait as a back up -but not the only occasion British forces faced potentially hostile Centurions.

Steve

• 2 years later...

few unusual churchill pics.

not sure what it was called but the first pic shows a tracked recovery trailer with churchill on being pulled through the mud by another churchill. it says a lot about the strength of the transmission to be able to move a load like that :wow:

samsung 408.jpg

samsung 410.jpg

samsung 411.jpg

samsung 406.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi,

could you tell me more about this picture? Where did it come from for instance as my gramps thinks this is his tank and these are his guys (he drove), he could actually be the driver.

Another view of Thorncliffe/Shaver probably it too was originally from the colour stock

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37632[/ATTACH]

Steve