M4A4 restoration

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

Same with me just joined the forum. An amazing piece of restoration, absolutely brillient read, That really is a labour of love and the end result is terrific.

Many thanks for all the infomration and references.

Alan

• 8 months later...

That'll be all those thirty cylinders! I don't know what the firing overlap is like on the multibank but it should be 'turbine' smooth. Adrian, does more than one cylinder fire at the same time or is everything slightly overlapped? If the designers had been feeling odd, they could have run all five in phase and it would have sounded like a six, as they had lots of cylinders to play with I imagine they didn't do that.

Edited by ajmac

The firing order is sequential, i.e No4 on engine 1, No2 on engine 2, No 6 on engine 3, 3 on 4, 5 on 5, 1 on 1, 4 on 2 etc etc. Because the cranks rotate anti clockwise looking at the timing end, the firing order of each block is reversed to the norm. It is very smooth and starts (normally) instantly.

Sat down tonight and read this throughout - unbelievable - I cannot comprehend the work involved. Its the first time I have ever seen a multi bank engine and its simply amazing what these engineers thought of during the war. To rebuild it from the state it was in is simply astonishing.

Great read - should put it into a book!

Made my night!

Thanks

it was this thread that led me from another forum onto hmvf and it was adrians work that helped to inspire me to do something similar myself, (although i would have put an old bulldozer engine in and scrapped the multibank):-D

a real legacy

• 5 weeks later...

Adrian,

Having restored a number of antique and muscle cars I know the difficulty that one runs into, in these projects but what you have undertaken here is nothing short of insanity, but THANK YOU for saving a piece of WW 2 history. I am 100% amazed.

I assume you are familiar with Operation Tiger a failed practice run for the D Day invasion where several American LSTs were torpedoed by the Nazis and nearly 1000 men died. It happened at Lyme Bay England on 27-28 April 1944. More info here http://news.webshots.com/album/36874492NaRoOO and http://www.combinedops.com/Op_Tiger.htm

Benji

eddy8men

barrell's syndrome is highly contagious and can lead to periods of heightened euthoria generally followed by excessive tank buying :-D

Normally a medical syndrome particularly those relating to deminished mental capacity are eponymous to the researcher/doctor who first defined the condition and not named for the person suffering from the problem. So the condition defined as excessive euphoria and out of control spending on rusty AFVs should perhaps be called Wedlock's syndrome -on the other hand as Rick also seems to be suffering from the condition perhaps I should name it -giving it the mandatory cute east-european name -I think Stefan's syndrome might be better:-D:cool2:.