Landrover Ambulance

kiwikev

I have a Series 2A (1971) Landrover Ambulance that was imported from the UK to here in New Zealand in 1999 and was repainted, by the previous owner, to look like a UN Ambulance owned by the Dutch Army (Actually a series 3).

I would like to be able to find out some history behind the Ambo, all I have been able to find is that it was used by the BAOR at some time, its a Left Hand Drive one as it had the remains of a sticker on the windscreen mentioning the BAOR. Also on the Passenger inside door (RHS) it had the word Hilton.

My question is how do I go about finding:

a) its History and

b) its Original Reg number.

All I have its Marshal Body number (95) on the side of the Body.

Its a great machine and I hope to return it to its original colours and unit number if I can find them

Below should be a link to our Club server and some photos of the Ambo

http://www.nzmvcc.org.nz/ppr1.html

Thanks

Kevin Frethey

Auckland

New Zealand

Welcome to the Ambulance owner (Land Rover) Sub section, apart from the entry ritual involving custard creams and gallons of tea. The first port of call is the Royal Logistic Corp Museum at Deepcut. they now hold the B card records. My 101 ambulance also served in BOAR and is left hand drive. The original military reg should be on the data plate failing this the chassis number should allow a search.

http://www.army.mod.uk/rlc/history/348.aspx

this may also be of intrest.

http://www.tanygraig.force9.co.uk/John/vlr/form.htm#bottom

Hello Kevin I used to have a 2A ambulance it was 30 FJ 20 which was part of a very big batch. The big batch before that seemed to be 'ER'. Is the reg no not on the contract plate?

Is that chassis number correct? Looks a bit as if someone filled in a form & had to put something down & so wrote 123456?

I wonder where I got that chassis number from?

Thanks Clive for pointing that out I went out and checked the data plate and have now corrected the web site.

The actual number is 25435939H

It is interesting that the Data plate has no vehicle Number and no Maintenance record these areas are completely blank as if the plate is new with only the chassis number, contract number code and CES numbers.

Thanks Tony for the museum info, I will let you all know how I get on.

One other question, does anyone know what paint job the BAOR Ambulances would have been in the mid 80s Deep Bronze Green , Cam or?

Regards

Kevin

-----

1971 Series 2A English Ambulance - Ex BOAR

1969 Series 2A Australian Assembled 109 GS - Ex Oz and NZ Army x 2

1953 Series 1 80ínch

1939 & 1940 GMC ACK352 - EX USMC

does anyone know what paint job the BAOR Ambulances would have been in the mid 80s Deep Bronze Green , Cam or?

Regards

Kevin

IRR NATO Green with disruptive IRR Matt Black. Mine came out of service about then but it was all IRR NATO Green. The reason for that was it was not part of BAOR & had fairly limited role at a UK barracks.

It is interesting that the Data plate has no vehicle Number and no Maintenance record these areas are completely blank as if the plate is new with only the chassis number, contract number code and CES numbers.

Hi Kev,

It is not unusual for the plate to have no entries in the "Maintenanace Record" areas. This is for major overhaul, rebuilds, etc. and Land Rovers would have rarely gone through one of these programmes. I worked for some years in army workshops and I think only once had I seen an entry on a L/R plate. Some of the older heavy vehicles, and armour would have entries as they tended to have a longer service life.