Armour & Embarkation. Dorset 2010.

Now some well know pictures and not so well known.

A couple of interesting ones that need to be noted - can you see one that is propaganda and one that is dis information....?!

BR1.jpg

Don't tell us that's not really Winston in the car.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

The brewers from Reading is genuine, but I am looking at the man nearest with back to camera.......something does not look right about him :confused:

it seems strange that there is so much shadow on his face....... unless he is a Bevin boy ?

Ashley

Obviously disinformation here.

Enemy spies can often be unmasked by observing their drinking habits, the Germans in this posed photo have forgotten to order English brown ale in straight glasses, preferring their Bavarian lager in jugs. :-D

Could be zider for all yous knows

Ashley

A couple of interesting ones that need to be noted - can you see one that is propaganda and one that is dis information....?!

Jean.jpg

QUOTE]

Bit of a long shot but anything to do with the apparent contradiction between the message and that it looks as if maybe these tents have never been occupied? No full set of side poles, bits of stick at the corners and a distinct lack of trampled grass etc around them? I submit no one has been inside them, let alone left.

As my target of finishing Oddball's restoration in time for Normandy 09 is going to be missed, this could be a new target to aim at, count me in !

(But I had better check with 'She Who Likes To Be Obeyed' first though to see if I'm allowed out to play)

Pub-1.jpg

Not bad answers but no one is near to the answer yet (well not to far off) Mark and Richard are very very warm........or may be in the right area!

Jean.jpg

QUOTE]

Bit of a long shot but anything to do with the apparent contradiction between the message and that it looks as if maybe these tents have never been occupied? No full set of side poles, bits of stick at the corners and a distinct lack of trampled grass etc around them? I submit no one has been inside them, let alone left.

Great work - we are getting there with this one......nearly

well if you need the cookhouse then im sure us modern types might be able to help unless you dont want any modern equipment at base camp

Dave thanks for that and we were talking about this last night - your services will be needed :bow: Kev said. I don't argue with Kev.

Not bad answers but no one is near to the answer yet (well not to far off) Mark and Richard are very very warm........or may be in the right area!

Ok I like a good novel so maybe there is a complete made up story to fit with this pic.

We have a couple of G.I.’s taking a drink with the locals. A very obvious sign hanging on the wall tells everyone that the pub is in the Reading area. However one of the locals has come straight to the pub from work and he is 'still in his pit muck’ and he has managed to find his way in to the picture. However to a casual glance it could be that he is just ‘in the shade’ but a more careful scrutiny shows he does in fact appear to be a coal miner. Now even Johnny Foreigner knows that there aren’t any pits in the Reading area, but the canny Kraut Intelligence Analyst knows that there are miners in Kent and that there is an American Army group lead by Gen. Patton himself lurking in that area. So therefore the sign on the wall is a fake and is just put there to mislead our gallant Aryan race as to the real whereabouts of the photo location.

In actual fact it was all put together in Pinewood Studios or somewhere, but who is to know?

OK, it is just a story. I’m much better at pictures. :) I’ll get my coat.

Ok I like a good novel so maybe there is a complete made up story to fit with this pic.

In actual fact it was all put together in Pinewood Studios or somewhere, but who is to know?

I think you are right, the brewers picture is too prominent and for wartime too and I also thought he looked like a miner, hence my remark about him.

We have a couple of G.I.’s taking a drink with the locals. A very obvious sign hanging on the wall tells everyone that the pub is in the Reading area. However one of the locals has come straight to the pub from work and he is 'still in his pit muck’ and he has managed to find his way in to the picture. However to a casual glance it could be that he is just ‘in the shade’ but a more careful scrutiny shows he does in fact appear to be a coal miner. Now even Johnny Foreigner knows that there aren’t any pits in the Reading area, but the canny Kraut Intelligence Analyst knows that there are miners in Kent and that there is an American Army group lead by Gen. Patton himself lurking in that area. So therefore the sign on the wall is a fake and is just put there to mislead our gallant Aryan race as to the real whereabouts of the photo location.

WOW - I like this place, it has a lot of clever folks on it!

That is pretty much it in a nut shell...but. It is in actual fact taken in West Dorset. The Reading picture is the red herring and was used to make out that the 1st Div wasn't in Dorset and more to the east - I love stuff like this.

We can visit this pub during Armour and Embarkation (A&E) :whistle:

And well done everyone.

Now how about the tent picture??

Or he could have been the ploughing tractor driver....??

On a farm near to work, the regular ploughing driver drove a Standard Fordson with underswept exhaust. He wore a WW1 trench coat and used to stick a piece of rubber pipe on the end of the exhaust and up the back of his coat. He kept nice and warm, but went home with a very black neck!!

Richard I think it is the light or the lack of that gives the gentleman a dark effect. Looking at the shadows on the wall the light looks like it is comimg directly behind him..

The Simmonds calendar is showing April 1944....

Jack,

Sorry for the delay in getting up to speed with your plans.

This sounds like it has all the makings required to become THE event of 2010 in the UK if not the worldwide MV calendar.

I want in on making this happen, so count me in to participate in turning the great planning that has happened already into an event that will make your hair curl!

Hopefully this time I'll also get to see the armour convoy!!

Incidentally, I was convinced that you were going to say the venue would be Weymouth and I was hoping you wouldn't, so I'm really pleased that it is to be Maiden Newton as it will be so more meaningful. Good work!

Neil Stevens

Thanks Neil, looks like it willl be something very special and unique.

Jack,

I want in on making this happen, so count me in to participate in turning the great planning that has happened already into an event that will make your hair curl!

Are you sure?! The wages are poor, the holiday and pension package is criminal to say the least...

• 3 weeks later...

HistoricalmiliteryvehicalCorowa2008.jpg

This is from Corowa last year after running through town to the turn around point. to start the parade though town.

Jack I know you are a man of the world but have you considered sponsorship from one of the fuel company's

Over hear if we shop at certain shopping centers and spend X amount we get a fuel voucher for 4 cents a liter of the retail price.

If you could find a sponsor that could do that it would help.

Good luck it sounds great, I wish I could be there.

See you at Corowa some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure - Kev and I had a meeting last week with Maiden Newton at War and we are just working on securing the fields. There is an awesome track that we can convert in to one way traffic from the armour camp down to the pub - I mean village.

I will need to speak with all the tankers as there is a rather nice plan for the Sunday :cool2: