What's the worst Military Museum in the UK?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Has anybody heard rumours that a military museum is to be established at Catterick

garrison in North Yorkshire , apparently a lot of vehicles are rumoured to be held there

following the closure of the Transport Museum in Beverley. I did read somewhere in one of

the magazines that a museum was going to be set up " somewhere up north " but no

details were given.

Steve.

hawk

Nessecery for the more casual onllooker who may not be as well briefed as you!

It is never a necessity to penalise the knowledgeable to benefit the ignorant. The answer to this problem is to place information boards on childrens blackboards (as was the case a Bovington) and photographers should ensure that if they move the easel they put it back when they are finished.

Steve

Hi all,

....... I did read somewhere in one of

the magazines that a museum was going to be set up " somewhere up north " but no details were given.

Steve.

The NE Military Museum closed and I believe it is re-locating to the NE Aircraft Museum. Some exhibits have already moved to the Aircraft Museum and a Romney hut or two have been dismantled from some local docks and moved the the museum to be re-erected.

Whether this is connected to the Catterick story or not I don't know.

Hi Steve,

I first heard the rumours over a year ago about a museum at Catterick , one of the lads

at work who was an RMP at the garrison told me about the vehicles arriving and being

put into storage. I will have to ask him if he,s kept in touch with anyone still on the camp.

If I find out anything I,ll put it on here.

Steve.

From memory and from what I read on quite a detailed article somewhere on the web; a museum at Catterick was mooted quite some years ago,and to all intents and purposes it was going to go ahead. I believe some of the ex-Beverley exhibits and others were going to be there. However due to lack of funding the idea was, according to the article, not just shelved but dropped. I will try and locate the article again and add a link. Of course it could be that funding has now been found and the idea resurrected. Somehow with Iraq and Afghanistan drawing on the budget I doubt it, but I will be happy to be wrong! :)

Nessecery for the more casual onllooker who may not be as well briefed as you!

...if such information plates would be placed somehow BESIDE the vehicle instead of ON it, then also the 'more casual onlooker' could get some nice photographs ;-)

Kuno

...if such information plates would be placed somehow BESIDE the vehicle instead of ON it,

As I posted in response to Hawk's post Bovington used to have a reasonable system (see photo Coventry Bovington) the easel is moveable however the Imperial War museum stand (Shown in photo Mk7 IWM) is fixed which can get in the way.

Steve

coventry bovington.jpg

mk7 iwm.jpg

coventry bovington.jpg

mk7 iwm.jpg

From memory and from what I read on quite a detailed article somewhere on the web; a museum at Catterick was mooted quite some years ago,and to all intents and purposes it was going to go ahead. I believe some of the ex-Beverley exhibits and others were going to be there. However due to lack of funding the idea was, according to the article, not just shelved but dropped. I will try and locate the article again and add a link. Of course it could be that funding has now been found and the idea resurrected. Somehow with Iraq and Afghanistan drawing on the budget I doubt it, but I will be happy to be wrong! :)

The museum of army transport at Catterick was shelved 9 years ago,apparently the MOD Had funding for the museum but there was an issue with the site which was the decommisioned air field.due to the upgrade and widening of the A1 it was to incorperate part of RAF Catterick which was later shelved by the ministry of transport.

The venture was to generate about 70 jobs localy and house the former collection from Beverly as well as a full guage railway and a fully equiped workshop restoring exhibits.

I attended an inerview with Prince research and was placed on file for a job position in the workshop.

This has all now fizzled out but I believe there is still a big pot of money put to one side by the committee if the venture ever goes ahead.

Rob........................................rnixartillery.

Always a tricky question - what one person likes, another won't.

Purely as a personal opinion - the aircraft at Duxford can be awkward to photo I agree. Offsetting this is every time I've been there the restoration hangars have been open and the people working there both willing to talk and VERY enthusiastic/knowledgeable about the types they were working on.

The Land Warfare hall however is not the same. The exhibits are packed in - esp. the PW ones and the staff certainly appear less knowledgeable in this area. Last time I was there one of the staff was talking to a group of people about the captured BMP-1 - virtually every fact he gave was wrong. I spoke to him politely after he'd finished, out of hearing of the group, and was asked "what the bl**dy hell did I know about such a vehicle" When I pointed out I owned one he just walked off.... A strange attitude I thought.... :-(

Floor space is expensive so I can understand the need to get exhibits as close together as possible, bans on, or additional fees for photography I can understand too - paintings and fabrics such as at the NAM can deteriorate from flash lighting - ignorance on the staffs part is not excusable though

For me the best musuem I've seen thus far is the Musee des Blindes" in Saumur, France. Photography has an extra cost attached - but you get as close to the vehicles as you want to photograph what you want, the range of vehicles is good - they even have an S Tank and a Conqueror - and the staff are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

The musuem I would love to go see is the Russian one at Kubinka. I've heard nothing (thus far) but good reports of it and they have I believe the only complete collection of all the Tiger variants.

• 3 months later...

I know this may be a little off-topic but last weekend I went to Gaydon... I was very disappointed. Very little about contributions to the war effort by the motor industry and no trucks. There is more space for conference meetings than exhibits... Eden camp is ok. Very good for the little ones I think and Duxford is a great day out. I like the wealth of exhibits there, aircraft and ground. I wish Bovingdon was nearer to me !!!!:-(

I personally do not care for the IWM in Manchester. I think that possibly it is the worst high profile museum in Britain. I was very disappointed :-(.

didnt the curator famously say to the local mvt when they enquired if they wanted some mv's for the opening "the IWM north is nothing to do with war!!!)

Mark

iwm north feels like more of an anti war museum,they have a t34 and a sorry looking t55 and that's about it for vehicles, i was very disappionted on my first visit. it all feels a bit politically correct the sort of place that was thought up by a committee of artistic types who have no love of the military.

having said that it's not all bad the cinema projection and sound effects on the museum walls is a powerful reminder of the cost of war.trouble is i didn't go to be reminded of mans cruelty to his fellow man i went to see green stuff with big guns on top .

eddy

Last summer I spent a couple of hours in the National Army Museum whilst waiting for a funeral next door in the Chelsea Hospital. There were numerous displays of glorious conflicts but it seemed extraordinary that in the year that was 40 years since the start of Op Banner that I could find no reference to this at all.

But when you consider that the two soldiers killed in NI last year were not afforded the Lyneham treatment but were just shipped back as cargo, it doesn't surprise me.

• 2 months later...

I'd have to agree with the lack of a full gallery on the NI conflict at the National Army Museum. When you think of the casualties and the sheer length of time The Troubles went on. An estimated 250,499 blokes served there -along with me. There were so many innovations involved with kit, weapons, technology etc, it deserves the full treatment. But I imagine politics would get in the way of giving more than a nodding glance to that conflict.

Best museum for me is Muckleburgh. A bit out of the way but I was on holiday over there recently and got my chance. It's got the lot and four hours just slipped by.

Paddy

it deserves the full treatment. But I imagine politics would get in the way of giving more than a nodding glance to that conflict.

I endorse your view,

Back in the 1990s I was asked if a good home could be found for this and another Morris RUC patrol vehicle which was near Otterburn ATWG 2 O/P.

Only Beverley were positive but they already had an example and a water cannon, at least one museum (no name no pack drill) turned it down on the dubious grounds that it was too ugly, I was told by one major player in museums that I was waisting my time because "the great and the good" were not overly proud of the British Armys service in NI, which IMO was an insult to those who served there.

Steve

img002.jpg

Richard

You're right-:embarrassed: actually I used to caled it a Commer -but was told I was wrong on another forum- and having no backbone:shocked: I thought I mis-identified it.

Steve

Steve,

My friend Clive Elliott, who is an authority on RUC vehicles, has made mention of these Commers before, and I am sure he will see this when is on the forum next time. :-)

I think fundamentally Duxford is a good museum, I can definitely see what people are saying though. At the MV show a few weekends ago I was talking to a chap in the workshops and he said the museum is receiving a great deal less funding at the moment, in part due to the 2012 Olympics. What a shame!

Last summer I spent a couple of hours in the National Army Museum whilst waiting for a funeral next door in the Chelsea Hospital.

I visited the NAM once while it was hosting a 'London Fashion Week' event, some galleries closed and set out as "cat walk", though there were a lot of very tall young ladies about the place...:nut:

jch

Does anybody know what happened to the vehicles that were at the Museum of Military Transport in Beverley? Kind of liked that one, had sone nice displays and equipment. Last time I was there was in 96 (when I bought my FOX and BRDM).

The old MoAT collection, which was essentially "owned" by the NAM has been dispersed.

The railway items have gone to railway related collections, the 'cutaway Crusader' on it's railway wagon is at the NRM in York, the narrow gauge rolling stock is at a railway in Lincolnshire. A lot of the one-off vehicles are at the REME reserve (not open to the public) collection at Borden. Some armoured vehicle ended up at Bovington. No sure what happened to all the ex-Iraqi softskins and artillery.

jch

chinuk

.........The railway items have gone to railway related collections, the 'cutaway Crusader' on it's railway wagon is at the NRM in York,

Unless its moved again recently the Crusader and rectank (railway tank transporter) is at the Locomotive Railway Museum at Slidon in Co.Durham.

The ex Stainburn Moor, ex Berverley Churchill Mk2 is at Bovington.